Chris Christie Will Run.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:59:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chris Christie Will Run.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Chris Christie Will Run.  (Read 10054 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »

Former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, who won accolades for taking on political corruption in New Jersey, announced today that he intends to run for governor against Democrat Jon Corzine.

Christie, a Republican, announced he will file election papers today, and plans a formal announcement in early February. He resigned as U.S. Attorney last December.

"I did not take this step lightly," Christie wrote in a statement. "It was only after careful consideration and consultation with my family that I decided to become a candidate."

Republicans believe Christie offers them the best chance to win the governorship in over a decade, despite running a Democratic-leaning state that has traditionally frustrated the GOP.  The Garden State hasn't elected a Republican governor since Christie Todd Whitman won her second term in 1997.

“He’s a credible guy who has put together an admirable record as a US attorney,” one New Jersey GOP operative. “Beyond the political corruption, he’s acted on terrorism, corporate polluters and corporate greed. When they get to that narrative, they’ll see a guy with a compelling record.

Christie will face a financial disadvantage against the wealthy Corzine, who spent over $40 million of his own money into the 2005 gubernatorial race. He also faces a primary challenge against conservative activist Steve Lonegan and state Assemblyman Rick Merkt..

Christie made a handful of national media appearances in the wake of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s arrest on corruption charges, where he spoke out against the culture of corruption in Illinois.

New Jersey will be at the center of the political universe in the off-year election cycle, with only the Virginia governor’s race offering competition for the public attention.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0109/Republicans_land_top_Corzine_challenger.html?showall
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »

This should please Sen. Down With The Left.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

Never in my life has a political story ever made me so excited.  Say what you want, but this man will be the next governor of the state of New Jersey.  I just want to launch a website so I can start helping his campaign today
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »

...after an ice cream van?

Cheap, yes. Cruel, yes. But it had to be done.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »

Still not feeling a Christie victory. Things could change, of course.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 09:03:51 PM »

Why is website photo so horrible?

http://www.christiefornj.com/
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »

Never in my life has a political story ever made me so excited.  Say what you want, but this man will be the next governor of the state of New Jersey.  I just want to launch a website so I can start helping his campaign today

Well, you can campaign for him without starting a website.

I think you're pretty god damned optimistic.  Christie is a great candidate, but New Jersey is probably the most expensive state per capita to campaign in.  It's no joke to run ads simultaneously in Phillie & NYC but only reaching a small number of the people you're trying to reach for every million dollars you spend.

Corzine isn't exactly a popular governor, but he's popular enough that his incumbency and finances should give him a slight edge.  I mean, it's very difficult to defeat an incumbent in a state that favors the opposite party unless said incumbent is horrible.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »

lol, I've been a part of such websites before.  That's just a temp job designed to give an outlet for donors/email subscribers until their professional website designer finishes his job.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »

I think Christie should (or should have) run when it becomes an open seat.  Isn't New Jersey a fairly pro-incumbent state?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »

Corzine will spend his $82 million again and win by a comfortable-but-not-massive margin
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »

Yeah, I think people are getting their hopes up with this one. It'll be interesting though.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2009, 10:42:03 PM by Mr.Phips »

This is my bellweather for 2009.  If Corzine loses this race, it will signal that the wind has shifted from the Democrats backs to their faces and strongly so.  This is a state that Democrats do not lose in these days unless something is seriously wrong. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »

This is my bellweather for 2009.  If Corzine loses this race, it will signal that the wind has shifted from the Democrats backs to their faces and strongly so.  This is a state that Democrats do not lose in these days unless something is seriously wrong. 

I don't like that analysis.  Christie is an exceptional candidate who has great success on every issue -- honestly, I'd be likely to vote for him too.  It's hardly representative of the national mood.   Especially in an off-year.

Even if the Republicans are surging, Corzine could easily win reelection too simply by outspending his opponent.

To me, this race is almost the opposite of the bellweather.  Just because it has the potential to be close doesn't mean it will indicate anything for 2010.  2009 is an off year

For something to be a representative bellweather, it'd have to involve a generic D vs. a generic R under something that looks like (or can be compared to) generic conditions.  This is not

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2009, 11:09:46 PM by Mr.Phips »

I don't like that analysis.  Christie is an exceptional candidate who has great success on every issue -- honestly, I'd be likely to vote for him too.  It's hardly representative of the national mood.   Especially in an off-year.

Even if the Republicans are surging, Corzine could easily win reelection too simply by outspending his opponent.

To me, this race is almost the opposite of the bellweather.  Just because it has the potential to be close doesn't mean it will indicate anything for 2010.  2009 is an off year

For something to be a representative bellweather, it'd have to involve a generic D vs. a generic R under something that looks like (or can be compared to) generic conditions.  This is not

I think it will probably be close, but Christie should not win.  This is a Democratic state where Republicans have not won since 1997(and even then by a whisker).  This would be like Democrats winning an election in Mississippi.

How about Virginia, would that be a bellweather?  The state voted exactly the national average in the 2008 Presidential race. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »

Uh, if the Democrats somehow lose in this state then you know 2010 won't just be bad for them.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 12:54:55 AM »

LOL Do you guys really believe that he can beat Corzine?  Just look at him!  I know that's a very shallow comment, but most voters are shallow and with Democrats being as strong as they are right now, there's no way a Republican can win in a state like NJ.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 12:58:12 AM »

LOL Do you guys really believe that he can beat Corzine?  Just look at him!  I know that's a very shallow comment, but most voters are shallow and with Democrats being as strong as they are right now, there's no way a Republican can win in a state like NJ.

*waiting for Phil to storm down here*

To paraphrase him, the political environment might be different in 2010, so you can't really make a judgment like that.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »

To paraphrase him, the political environment might be different in 2010, so you can't really make a judgment like that.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:47 AM »

Obama & Democrats could still screw up within a year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:45 AM »

Uh...I've been the biggest critic of the NJ GOP's chances at, well, every office. I'm just saying that if he wins then the Dems are in some serious problems. That being said, I do not see it happening and have said so for quite some time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:35 AM »

I still don't see how you can presume something national if the perfect GOP candidate for the state wins in an off-year election.  It seems awfully, awfully cocky to read anything into how New Jersey goes either way and I, for one, will not fall into that trap.  I mean, it's a Democratic state, but so are Rhode Island, Connecticut, & Vermont, but they all have Republican governors. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 02:17:28 AM »

Uh...I've been the biggest critic of the NJ GOP's chances at, well, every office. I'm just saying that if he wins then the Dems are in some serious problems. That being said, I do not see it happening and have said so for quite some time.

This is the one time I agree with Phil.  If Corzine loses and Dems ALSO lose the Virginia race, they are in serious trouble and I dont even want to hear any spin like they were able to do after the Georgia runoff or the Louisiana races.  This is not the New Jersey that elected Christine Todd Whitman in 1993 and for Dems to lose a race in this state would signal a serious anti-Democratic wave. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »

I still don't see how you can presume something national if the perfect GOP candidate for the state wins in an off-year election.  It seems awfully, awfully cocky to read anything into how New Jersey goes either way and I, for one, will not fall into that trap.  I mean, it's a Democratic state, but so are Rhode Island, Connecticut, & Vermont, but they all have Republican governors. 

They're already tagging Christie as a "the Bush appointee." He's far from perfect for NJ when you consider that connection.

If you can shake the Bush connection/the "evil" label of being a Republican in this state, things are clearly getting better elsewhere as well.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

I agree... I have ties to N.J. and everyone I know is sick of the high taxes and the corruption. I think the state may be ready to turn from D to R at a state level after 6-8 years of Democratic control to see if they can make a clean sweep of things, or if not, just to express their anger. If not now, soon... the Democrats have had their chance and aren't doing a great job of it, and memories of Republican responsibility are growing faint. Of course not having Bush there helps the Republicans immeasurably on a state level.

I think it is human nature to look for hope wherever you can find it, much as Democrats did with the 2001 wins in New Jersey and Virginia. However, one has to look at all the circumstances.

People in N.J. may be ready to capitulate on the state Dems and try Republicans again. If people want to draw hope from that that they're ready to capitulate on federal Dems after 11 months, well, ok.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »

Interesting to see who he picks as his Lt. Gov., Kathleen Donovan is the best chance by far.  Christie needs Bergen County if he wants to win
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies