Would you consider joining a pacifist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:41:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you consider joining a pacifist party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you consider joining a pacifist party?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Would you consider joining a pacifist party?  (Read 3367 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

Depends. If you are referring to pacifism as far as war, then yes. If you are referring to pacifism as far as absolute non-violence, then no.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »

Totally. That would be rad. The only problem is I get very mad fast.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »

How many have starved to death because oppressive regimes?
How many would have died in WWII if the allies didn't exist?

Are you suggesting that if we had been pacifists in 1941, the world would be a better place today?

Just pointing out, it would have been pretty hard for >60 million people to be killed in peacetime.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

I don't know, the Great Leap Forward got halfway there in less than half the time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

I suppose I am somewhat of a moderate pacifist already, in that I oppose war for all reasons except the absolutely neccesary.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »

Those who want peace must prepare for war.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

I don't know, the Great Leap Forward got halfway there in less than half the time.

Well, China has a billion people. It would be extremely difficult for a country with a smaller population to kill that many people.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

You don't think anybody would try and start sh**t with the US if we buried all our weapons in a mountain in Wyoming?  Seriously?  Do you know what would happen to Estonia and Taiwan if we did this?  Our choice of pacifism would lead to the deaths of tens of millions within the first year, and hundreds of millions within the decade.

If we weren't messing with foreign countries in the first place and supporting the state of Israel more than the Israeli themselves, I don't think anyone would bother us.  I don't see any of those "evil terrorists who hate us because of our freedoms" hating Canada for example.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »

Like anybody would notice.

The "bad guys" wouldn't have to attack us right away and there would still be plenty of tragedy if we "laid our guns down".  As I mentioned, it's not just Israel that would have serious issues surviving.  Georgia, S.Korea, Taiwan, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania (and I'm sure I'm forgetting many) would be in instant danger if did this.  The rest of the West would then have a choice.  Would the UK and France come to the aid of Latvians?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »

The "bad guys" wouldn't have to attack us right away and there would still be plenty of tragedy if we "laid our guns down".  As I mentioned, it's not just Israel that would have serious issues surviving.  Georgia, S.Korea, Taiwan, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania (and I'm sure I'm forgetting many) would be in instant danger if did this.  The rest of the West would then have a choice.  Would the UK and France come to the aid of Latvians?

No offense, but you're paranoid.  The Baltic states are all members of the EU.  Georgia screwed up and is at fault for what happened with Russia.  North Korea will collapse once China stops pretending they're still a communist country and stops caring about their communist allies.  Taiwan?  What the hell will happen to Taiwan? 

Why the hell would the U.S. have to aid Latvia in case of an imaginary war?  This is all too ridiculous to even discuss.  The Vietnam War was supposed to be a war whose outcome our existence as a nation depended on (or so we were told by the paranoids).  We lost and so f**** what? 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »

lol no
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »

No offense, but you're paranoid.  The Baltic states are all members of the EU.  Georgia screwed up and is at fault for what happened with Russia.  North Korea will collapse once China stops pretending they're still a communist country and stops caring about their communist allies.  Taiwan?  What the hell will happen to Taiwan? 

Why the hell would the U.S. have to aid Latvia in case of an imaginary war?  This is all too ridiculous to even discuss.  The Vietnam War was supposed to be a war whose outcome our existence as a nation depended on (or so we were told by the paranoids).  We lost and so f**** what? 

Well you obviously got this all figured out.  Good luck.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 03:47:05 PM »

No. I'm a pacifist overall, but it's pointless to join a party.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies