24 or the Golden Globes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  24 or the Golden Globes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: 24 or the Golden Globes?

The Golden Globes

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: 24 or the Golden Globes?  (Read 3052 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »

Bah, "24" jumped the shark a long time ago... mostly because of the constant recycling of plots until they become mere clichés. And while it has never been the most realistic show in the first place, the scenarios also became absurder every time. Season 1 & 2 were good, but I think they started to went downhill after that. Incredible that it made to the 7th season.

Anyway, has a vice president appeared in the new season so far? The only reason why a VP would show up on "24" is that the current president will soon resign, be removed from power or assassinated... or at least they will be an attempt made to remove him from power or to assassinate him. I think that's one of the more prominent "24" clichès. Wink
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Bah, "24" jumped the shark a long time ago... mostly because of the constant recycling of plots until they become mere clichés. And while it has never been the most realistic show in the first place, the scenarios also became absurder every time. Season 1 & 2 were good, but I think they started to went downhill after that. Incredible that it made to the 7th season.

Anyway, has a vice president appeared in the new season so far? The only reason why a VP would show up on "24" is that the current president will soon resign, be removed from power or assassinated... or at least they will be an attempt made to remove him from power or to assassinate him. I think that's one of the more prominent "24" clichès. Wink

I think that this season...taking place in D.C....having Jack testifying before Congress about the issue of interrogation techniques makes it more realistic and something more refreshing.

Keep in mind, even though they don't mention the year...given the elections and generally when it is thought the show takes place...we are probably in the year 2017, given that a new President was just elected, so we're about 13 years after Season 1 began. I think it went like this:

Season 1 (2001-2002)::: 2004
Season 2 (2002-2003)::: 2005
Season 3 (2003-2004)::: 2008
Season 4 (2005)::: 2010
Season 5 (2006)::: 2011
Season 6 (2007)::: 2013
Season 7 (2009)::: 2017

The years are not generally important...but if you add together the season gaps (Season III takes place 3 yrs after Season II for example) then you get 13 years or so.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »

Naso, you should read Watchmen. I think you'd really enjoy the character Rorschach.

lol

Meh, this season isn't looking to be all that good. We've basically seen the same plot in Die Hard 2. And the predictability issue also arises. Tony Almaeda will have to either a) escape from custody (which is ridiculously easy in the 24 world) or b) go out in the field with Jack because they can't keep him locked in an interrogation cell for 22 episodes.

And yeah, the VP will make appearances in this season. He'll probably be working around the President's back or something unless they seriously plan on invoking the 25th amendment again. I just hope that they keep the ex-girlfriend of the murdered First Son throughout the season; she's much hotter than Kim (and seems less stupid).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »

24 - with the College Republican girl I like!!!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

Jack is Back!

"24" is pure fiction, and I think the vast majority of Americans are smart enough to realize that this show is not reality. It is entertainment pure and simple, something which Fox does quite well, although arguably they do tend to frequently stoop to the lowest common denominator.

I agree that the series has tended in recent series to recycle some plot devices, but it is still pretty high quality in production standards considering much of the broadcast competition available.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »

The show's first few minutes were brilliant. They made the liberal Senator, (dad from That 70's Show) say the exact thing Democrats say...and made Jack Bauer look like the civil, honest and most agreeable answer. It made the liberal Senator look like a wimp...caring more about the rights of one non-American terrorist then the rights of all the Americans that Jack saved.

Great show! It shows that liberals are babies who expect you to be able to fix the World's problems without pulling a trigger.

President Palmer was a Democrat and President Logan was a Republican. You sure don't know much about the show for such a supposedly huge fan. Tongue

No CTU and no Los Angeles is a pretty big change from the past six seasons, IMO.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »

The show's first few minutes were brilliant. They made the liberal Senator, (dad from That 70's Show) say the exact thing Democrats say...and made Jack Bauer look like the civil, honest and most agreeable answer. It made the liberal Senator look like a wimp...caring more about the rights of one non-American terrorist then the rights of all the Americans that Jack saved.

Great show! It shows that liberals are babies who expect you to be able to fix the World's problems without pulling a trigger.

President Palmer was a Democrat and President Logan was a Republican. You sure don't know much about the show for such a supposedly huge fan. Tongue

No CTU and no Los Angeles is a pretty big change from the past six seasons, IMO.

Of course I knew Palmer was a Democrat...when did I say he wasn't?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »

He's proof that 24 hasn't portrayed liberals as wimps and babies. On the contrary--the biggest wimp baby mofo on the series was a Republican.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »

He's proof that 24 hasn't portrayed liberals as wimps and babies. On the contrary--the biggest wimp baby mofo on the series was a Republican.

I was making direct reference to this Season's premiere.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

mmhmm

palmer=obama
logan=bush
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 10:21:17 PM »

Palmer (David) was around long before Obama.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

Logan was quite awesome.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »

lol. In what way?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »

Logan was supposed to be Richard Nixon obviously.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 03:12:50 AM »

Obama would've only been in the IL Senate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2009, 12:37:47 AM by Eraserhead »

Yeah but he was still "around" longer than that fictional character was.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

In the 4th episode, Tony and Jack drive by a GAP store... that I've shopped at!!!!1!

DC is so much cooler than LA.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies