Attn Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:31:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attn Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Attn Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine  (Read 15655 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »

Ben knows he's guilty. He's admitted to it. We have proof. It's a shame too. He could've come out of the whole Xahar fiasco as the good guy. Now he's just the lesser of the two evils.

Guilty verdict from me.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »

The answer to both questions is yes. Hence, Ben is clearly guilty.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

Too bad Ogis can't break out the evidence to clear Ben's name.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »

Silence in the balcony!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »

The jury have voted 4 Guilty with 1 juror not voting, thus a verdict of Guilty has been rendered by the jury.

I shall render a sentence tomorrow.  If the defendant wishes to exercise his common-law right of allocution, he may do so at this time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

I know this will cause the bailiff to eject me, but "allocution" is a legal term that I have never heard before. Amazing!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

I apologize for not rendering a sentence yesterday.  One shall be rendered this afternoon.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 03:11:57 PM »

We still need you concurring opinion on that by-election case, too!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »

The jury have voted 4 Guilty and 1 Not Voting, thus a verdict of Guilty has been rendered by the jury.

Certain important facts stuck in my mind when I decided what punishment to render in this case.  In bolstering the defendant's case for a weaker sentence, it must be said that he has shown some remorse for his commission of the crime after being caught.  Additionally, he was clearly wronged in some way by the former Attorney General of Atlasia, who has received a just punishment for his misdeeds. 

However, he did actually vote with this identity, "The Populist", so it cannot be said that he did not intend to injure anyone with its creation.  Moreover, certain crimes, like the creation of fake identities have occurred from time to time in Atlasian history, and any punishment which might deter the future actions of those who wish to pursue the same path is certainly desirable.  But yet, there is no reason to punish one person for prior actions which he has no responsibility for.

In Atlasia v. Keystone Phil (overturned on appeal on different grounds), the only other case on record concerning violation of CCJA, Sect. 1 Cl. 3, Justice Ernest determined that the punishment should be a one-week ban from voting and a six-month ban from holding office.  I see no reason why the defendant should be punished different than Keystone Phil was in that case, save for the fact that he actually voted with the fake identity, whereas Keystone Phil did not. 

This, to me, leads to a conclusion that benconstine's punishment should be a good bit stronger in terms of a voting ban than the punishment of Keystone Phil.  Deterring the creation of fake identities is certainly the crux of the statute involved, but I believe that deterring the actual usage of a fake identity to vote, the most treasured of institutions in Atlasia, deserves a punishment beyond mere creation and that the punishment should lie within the actual voting ban, rather than the holding of office.

Therefore, I sentence the defendant, benconstine, to a ban from voting for a period of thirteen (13) weeks commencing on January 19, 2009 and a ban from holding office for a period of twenty-six (26) weeks commencing on the same date as above.

If the defendant wishes to appeal his conviction to the Atlasian Supreme Court, the rules of CCJA, Sect. 8 shall apply to all matters.

Sam Spade
Associate Justice of Atlasia
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »

We still need you concurring opinion on that by-election case, too!

It's still half-done.  I should complete it this weekend, actually.  Thanks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »

Due to the necessity of continuing this trial in a speedy manner, I find gporter in contempt of court and order that his voting privileges be suspended until he posts in this thread or this trial is over.

As the trial phase of this case has been concluded, gporter is no longer subject to the previous order.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies