Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:02:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?  (Read 12549 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

Let's assume that President Barack Obama wins reelection in 2012.

Let's also assume that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton serves in this capacity for both of Obama's Presidential terms.

In your view, will 69 year old Secretary of State Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016, following 8 years of Democratic administration?

Please discuss.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »

No, she won't.  Her time has passed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »

"The only cure for presidential ambition is embalming fluid."-Moe Udall

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »

NO! She will be Secretary-General of the United Nations by then.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »

NO! She will be Secretary-General of the United Nations by then.

That'd be awesome but incredibly unlikely.

No, she knows that possibility is, unfortunately, over. She will look for higher and higher positions in Democratic administrations and international organizations, wielding her influence over politics without holding the executive leadership role.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

According to the special "behind the scenes" issue of Newsweek that came out after the election, she was huddling with advisors during the DNC, to discuss the possibility of a 2012 candidacy, should Obama lose.

Face it, she still wants to be president.  If Obama serves two terms and is at least passably successful in the eyes of the public, she will step down as SoS in early 2015 to begin her campaign for president.  Especially if Joe Biden opts to take a pass on 2016 (not unlikely), Clinton would try to run as Obama's "heir apparent", filling the space that is usually occupied by the incumbent vice president.

Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

I think it really depends on what she perceives her chances to be... if she thinks she's virtually a lock, she will... otherwise, I doubt it.

She's got a legacy to protect, and two failed Presidential runs don't look good in the history books.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

I'm done with the Clintons. I supported her in '08 but she needs to move on. The Clinton I'd ever welcome back in the White House is Bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »

I'm done with the Clintons. I supported her in '08 but she needs to move on. The Clinton I'd ever welcome back in the White House is Bill.

Only way to get him back there is Hillary. Honestly, if she ran, you would cave. She is great and after 8 or so years as SoS under Obama, she should be universally accepted. I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see it.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »

If the Obama administration is successful, she will run.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:11:56 PM »

Probably. She still has the "bug".
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »

If she wants to be President, it will be her last chance.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »

IMO, she's the front-runner in 2016 if Obama wins in 2012.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »

no.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »

Walter, thank you for your response, but, as one of the big Hillary '08 boosters, would you care to expand on that, and explain your reasoning?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2009, 12:12:04 AM by Verily »

No. It would be a bit like Ted Kennedy running in 1992. Which was fairly talked about at the time, but in the end, of course, he didn't run. And Ted Kennedy was a full two Presidential terms and change younger than 69 in 1992.

There will be new stars in the Democratic Party by 2016, including some people most of us haven't heard of yet. If the usual Cabinet attrition rate applies, Clinton will almost certainly not be Secretary of State in 2016 (or in the Cabinet at all) even if Obama is still President.

Maybe she'll run for Governor of New York in 2014. Wouldn't be a bad gig.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »

Hillary Clinton likes to keep her options open.

For her to be a viable candidate in 2016, she will need to have had a successful term as secretary of state and the overall Obama Presidency will need to be viewed as at least semi-successful.  If this happens, the possibility of another run will be explored.

While it has not been used in this way in modern times, Foggy Bottom could be a strong platform from which to build a political power base.  The job is both high-profile and high-powered.  It is a very strong position to get things done, nationally and internationally, on a wide variety of matters.

I would not assume that a new generation will definitely take over in 2016.  Assuming that VP Joe Biden takes a pass, Clinton would come into the race with a resume -- First Lady, senator and secretary of state -- which would stand out against other governors and senators in the race.  It is also possible that President Obama might endorse her, which would carry major weight.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »

Hillary Clinton likes to keep her options open.

For her to be a viable candidate in 2016, she will need to have had a successful term as secretary of state and the overall Obama Presidency will need to be viewed as at least semi-successful.  If this happens, the possibility of another run will be explored.

While it has not been used in this way in modern times, Foggy Bottom could be a strong platform from which to build a political power base.  The job is both high-profile and high-powered.  It is a very strong position to get things done, nationally and internationally, on a wide variety of matters.

I would not assume that a new generation will definitely take over in 2016.  Assuming that VP Joe Biden takes a pass, Clinton would come into the race with a resume -- First Lady, senator and secretary of state -- which would stand out against other governors and senators in the race.  It is also possible that President Obama might endorse her, which would carry major weight.

Not cool. I'm getting excited.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »

Yes. Gore, Dole, Bush sr, Nixon were all fairly prominent politicans 8 years before they got their party's nomination and all of them had ran for the presidency previously. There is really no reason to assume we will have all new faces in 2016.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:22 AM »

We can't have Hillary, she's a woman that has opinions! And, omg ambitions! What a bitch! Seriously, i'm surprised the Warner worshippers haven't shown up yet, since they believe he has the presidency lost. DINOS!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »

The Democratic nominee in 2016 will actually be Rebecca Otto, of course.

source:

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2009, 08:05:57 PM by Ogre Mage »

Well, I don't want to make it sound like Hillary 2016 is likely.  She may explore the possibility of a run, then decide it isn't a good idea.  I think the chance of her running is less than 50%.  After serving as SoS, she may find her true calling is as a pure public servant rather than a politician.  Still, given how much she wanted to be president (and made a balls-out effort to win), I think she would at least consider running if the political environment seemed favorable.

Anyway, this is all far off.  For now she has a very important and difficult job to do.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »

I'm inclined to say she will run.  But eight years is such a long time. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »

I think a '16 run will be a big place in her mind, she's highly ambitious and few people want the job more than her.  I don't think her age would be that much of a barrier, most likely it will be the performance of the Obama administration and her likely competitors.

I can see her running, and due to lessons from '08 learned and powerful connections, likely winning the nomination.  She'd have to do a great job triangulating her persona as Secretary of State, which could be difficult since she takes orders from someone else for the first time in a while. 

I'm not sure who could beat her if she really wanted it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »

I also assume she will have learned the lessons of '08 and will reveal the side that humanizes her. She's really not a cold, heartless bitch. And that laugh/cackle isn't her natural laugh. I have no idea wtf it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies