Tennessee: Williams elected speaker in upset
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:42:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tennessee: Williams elected speaker in upset
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tennessee: Williams elected speaker in upset  (Read 4901 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »

In a surprising twist, House Democrats threw their support behind a Republican lawmaker for speaker and defeated attempts by House Republican Majority Leader Jason Mumpower, R-Bristol, to become speaker.

The 49 Democrats joined with GOP Rep. Kent Williams, R-Butler, in the vote for speaker, providing the razor-thin 50-49 margin to make Rep. Williams the state House’s first Republican speaker since 1971.

Frustrated by their inability to gain enough support for longtime House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh, D-Covington, Democrats employed what they referred to as the “nuclear option” in throwing support behind another Republican candidate.

Pandemonium and boos erupted from Republicans and their supporters.

Cont.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2009/jan/13/tennessee-williams-elected-speaker-upset-mumpower-/?breakingnews
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »

Go Tennessee.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2009, 08:40:02 PM by Verily »

I'm curious to hear Don's reaction to this one. I'm not sure whether he will love Williams for being a moderate or hate him for being a traitor.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »

Yeah, the first person I though about this was htmldon.

Didn't the Republicans do something similar last term?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

Wow Tennesssee Williams elected speaker!!  That is a shock
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2009, 09:38:46 PM by Keystone Phil »

It happened here in PA when the Dems had a one seat majority but couldn't get their leader elected. As a result, Republican Denny O'Brien was elected as a compromise choice.  Smiley  He received six Republican votes and all but three Dem votes. The six Republicans that voted for him were some of the most conservative members of the body so he had very broad support.

This isn't exactly the same though since the Dems were in the majority here in PA when they pulled that move.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2009, 09:36:18 PM by Verily »

Yeah, the first person I though about this was htmldon.

Yes, in the state Senate. Although Rosalind Kurita, the defecting Democrat, was not elected Senate Speaker, she only supported the Republican candidate. (IIRC the Democrats had an 18-17 majority. Presumably they lost seats in the state Senate this year.)

Given that Don put Kurita in his sig as a major hero for about two years, I think he's going to hate Williams. Or else be inconsistent.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:29:19 AM »

I was booing in the gallery of the House when Kent Williams (liaR-Elizabethton) plot to be elected Speaker was fulfilled.

Kent Williams was one of the "Naifeh boys" and was always looked upon with distrust -- now he has proven those misgivings to be accurate.  Williams even signed a pledge, published in a press release and via e-mail, stating that he would vote for the Republican House Officers as chosen by the caucus.  This fact alone makes him a liar.

The hopes and dreams of Tennesseans, the majority of whom voted for Republican House candidates, of change in leadership after 150 years of one-party rule - these hopes have been dashed for the moment, yet our thirst for victory is unquenchable.

I started my morning at 7am at the Capitol at a breakfast with some of the legislators and guests.  I then staked out my seat at 9am and waited three hours for the session to start (all the seats were full by 9:30)  Thousands of Republicans were at the Capitol awaiting our appointment with history.

At Noon the session started with a roll call and swearing-in.  Speaker Jimmy Naifeh (D-Covington) presided as the incumbent Speaker.  Gary Odom (Dem Leader) made a motion for some sort of ridiculous 30 minute recess for a "photography break".  Jason Mumpower (GOP Leader) objected and a vote was called.  All 49 Dems voted for the recess, 49 Republicans voted against it - and one freshman Republican, Terri Lynn Weaver, misunderstood what the vote was for and voted Aye.  I was secretly rooting for the Dems on this procedural motion as I really, really had to pee.

Williams was seen in Jimmy Naifeh's office during this break, though the Tennessean reports that this deal was made at least a couple of days ago.  However we've heard rumors that Naifeh actually didn't approve of this deal and really wanted to hold on to power in his own name - but Gary Odom worked this deal out.

Things got started again at 1pm with the election of House Officers.  Mumpower was nominated and an attempt was made to close nominations at that point but it was challenged, rightfully so.  Gary Odom rose and made his nomination speech - which we all expected to be for the nomination of Jimmy Naifeh.  He said something about his nominee exemplifying bi-partisanship and laughter rang out from the gallery.  Then he said that it was the first time in history that the Dem leader would be nominating a Republican....

and gasp.

Some other Dem rose to second the nomination - but apparently only Odom, Naifeh, and Williams knew about the deal and the Seconder clearly wasn't prepared.

Then there was the vote.  The House rules are ridiculously partisan and allow the Dems to vote first and then the Republicans.  All 49 Dems voted for Williams.... we held out hope that Williams didn't know... or would do the right thing....  but 49 Republicans voted for Mumpower and Williams, at the end of the Republican alphabet, voted for himself.

I, and hundreds of other Republicans in the gallery, screamed "boo" as loudly as we could and Naifeh threatened to have the Seargant at Arms remove us from the chamber.  On the one hand we couldn't believe it - we had come from so far to get so close - but we always knew in the back of our minds that Naifeh would not let go of his fiefdom so easily.

Highway patrol deputies began to make their presence known as the Judas of Elizabethton, Kent Williams, made his way to the front.  Williams was sworn-in as Speaker, and made a one-minute speech consisting of "I've been booed before".

He then walked up to the Speakers podium, and said that he designated Jimmy Naifeh to preside over the rest of the session.

You see, "Speaker" Williams has only been in office for two terms and has no parliamentary background.  He apparently doesn't even know how to do the job.  But he has nothing to fear, I'm sure ol' Jimmy will be pulling his strings for him.

On one hand, I respect that the Dems "beat" us on this and managed - just as their State Senate counterparts did in 2005 - to hold on to the Speakership despite losing their majority.  On the other hand, I think it is rather despicable and sad that they did so by laying their trust in a man who lacks character, honor, and trust.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »

I'm curious to hear Don's reaction to this one. I'm not sure whether he will love Williams for being a moderate or hate him for being a traitor.

Traitors do great harm to the cause of true moderates.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »

New York had 3 traitors that almost trainwrecked anything, but the Democratic leader cajoled and bribed and threatened them to the point they conceded
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:50:54 AM »

Here is the video coverage from WTVF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQ_6IWdCiw
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 12:52:18 AM »

Sounds like probably the Dems are just hurting themselves in the long run.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »

Interesting.  I would bet Williams gets a primary opponent in 2010.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:23 AM »

Williams is gone no matter what in 2010. If the Republicans get one more member then Mumpower is in charge, and if the Democrats get one more then they'll kick Williams to the curb and elect Naifeh or Odom.

And even if the margin does stay *exactly* the same then there's always the likely possibility of Williams losing re-nomination or the Republicans cutting a deal with some conservative Democrat in the intervening two years.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:34 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2009, 01:13:22 AM by Htmldon, "Community Organizer" »

Bingo.

Interesting.  I would bet Williams gets a primary opponent in 2010.

He had one in 2008.  A friend of mine managed the challenger's campaign, but his candidate was perceived as being too conservative and the race didn't go well.

The TRP is going to strip him of ballot access as a Republican so its a moot point.
Like Mike Williams, he probably thinks he is sooo beloved by the residents of his district that he can run as a Independent or Democrat and win.... and like Mike Williams, he will find out that nobody cares who he is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:46 AM »

He had one in 2008.  A friend of mine managed the challenger's campaign, but his candidate was perceived as being too conservative and the race didn't go well.

So looking back on it, the conservative should have won?  Wink
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »

What I want to know is... how the hell do you pronounce "Naifeh"?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »

NAY-feh would be my guess.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »

Bi-partisinship, guys! Isn't that what Republicans everywhere were preaching last year when they knew they were gonna become a minority?

I hope this Williams guy gets kicked out by the Republicans and caucuses with the Dems. Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

NAY-feh would be my guess.

I think it's NAY-fee.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »

So looking back on it, the conservative should have won?  Wink

Absolutely.  However, it wasn't a Democratic pick-up opportunity in a swing district, so Pat Toomey and the Klub for Growth was no where to be found.

It is pronounced F**K-tard.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »

so Pat Toomey and the Klub for Growth was no where to be found.

Roll Eyes

Enough, Don. Really. The Club was involved in two U.S. Senate races in 2004 (Alaska and Oklahoma) where their candidate was more electable than your candidate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:26 AM »

Wow Tennesssee Williams elected speaker!!  That is a shock

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of him when I first saw it. Smiley
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2009, 12:21:26 PM by TCash101 »

Yes, long term, the state party needs to rid itself of Jimmy Naifeh. This just puts off ultimate Dem defeat and attempt at resurgence with new players. That said, the GOP did the same thing essentially when in the state senate they got Rosalind Kurita to elect a GOP Speaker in the Senate and a chairmanship for herself. Don had her pic up for months calling her a true hero. Although a Tennessee "Democrat," I don't have a similar affection for Mr. Williams. He may put the old and the boy in "good ol' boy," but not the good.

They are all children, playing kiddie games that serve themselves.

I haven't read all these posts, but it should be noted that state GOP leadership did takes sides in the primary against Williams. It's simply naive and self-serving for them to now expect his total loyalty to them. Also, they played the game of getting someone from the other party to switch sides to gain power and now claim it shouldn't be done. Children, all of them. And my apologies to children for the analogy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies