Stay Warm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:14:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Stay Warm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stay Warm  (Read 2566 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

Attention all you who live in the upper midwest and the northeast.  STAY WARM as best you can.  As you know better than I do and I've been watching The Weather Channel, almost the entire Northeastern 1/4 of the country (Wichita, KS north and northeastward) are suffering with well below zero temperatures.  Jim Cantore just reported from Chicago where it was 5 degrees above zero with WCI about 5-10 below zero.  The WCI there is supposed to be -30 by tomorrow morning.  Northern Minnesota and North Dakota WCI's near 50 below zero in some cases with daytime highs on Wednesday no higher than -10.

Meanwhile, OKC is supposed to drop to a frigid (but seemingly warm) 15 degrees overnight Thursday morning and get into the high 20s and low 30s on Thursday.  However, our Wednesday is supposed to be in the 50s until the cold front starts oozing itself down our back door dropping us to the mid-teens Thursday and Friday morning.

I don't know and can't even fathom what it must feel like to experience temperatures that far below zero, but stay warm as best you can and stay safe.  Don't get out unless you have to.

MN and ND are supposed to warm up back to the 20s above zero by the end of the week.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »

It's just cold, you don't die by going outside. It's winter anyways, nobody except kids just goes outside for the hell of it. Southerners need to get some tough skin weatherwise. 50 degrees is not weather for a heavy sweater. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »

It was -36˚F this morning (air temp) with freezing fog.  When you step out in that temperature, sound carries better and so everything sounds closer, but also weirdly distorted.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »

Here's a cool picture of an all too familiar site these days in Minneapolis amidst the cold.

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »

I wonder what is the temperature where BushOklahoma is. Over here the temperature is 36 Fahrenheit.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »

I wonder what is the temperature where BushOklahoma is. Over here the temperature is 36 Fahrenheit.

Pretty much the same here, 37 degrees.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »

I was waiting for the bus a couple of hours ago & it was sweltering. I wish I lived somewhere that experienced normal weather. Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »

I will continue to not break my streak and wear shorts despite sub 20 degree temperatures on Friday
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

I was waiting for the bus a couple of hours ago & it was sweltering. I wish I lived somewhere that experienced normal weather. Tongue

So its hot in the bay as well? It was 88 down here today....I can't believe it is January. Then again weird weather like that is common in southern california.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »

Eh, I'm used to below 0 temps, so I'm set. But thanks anyways.
Raoul
burkenelson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.87, S: -0.74

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

It's just cold, you don't die by going outside. It's winter anyways, nobody except kids just goes outside for the hell of it. Southerners need to get some tough skin weatherwise. 50 degrees is not weather for a heavy sweater. Tongue

Southerners need to get some tough skin weatherwise? Yeah dude...weather is location dependent. In other words one is accustomed to one's own climate because it is a fact of life subjective to where you live. Lol. No sh**t its cold to us. Why post about it, let alone complain about how we poor southern folk can't stand the temperature? See you in July.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »

-20c tomorrow, or -39c with windchill. And buses on strike (alternatively, I hope Andre Cornellier freezes to death). Joy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »

So its hot in the bay as well? It was 88 down here today....I can't believe it is January. Then again weird weather like that is common in southern california.

Yep, though since I live in SF, anything over ~70 is uncomfortably hot. It was probably only about 72, really.

It's strange though, because October/November/December are usually the hottest months of the year up here. Yet we had an unusually cold December & are now having an unusually hot January. San Francisco weather makes no sense to me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:05 PM »

God I miss Charleston. It was 80 degrees on Christmas day and ever got below 42 my entire break and we saw average highs in the 65-70 range. Today in Winston-Salem, it is 30 degrees and by weeks end, it will be 15 at night and reach a whopping 26 as our high on Friday.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

God I miss Charleston. It was 80 degrees on Christmas day and ever got below 42 my entire break and we saw average highs in the 65-70 range. Today in Winston-Salem, it is 30 degrees and by weeks end, it will be 15 at night and reach a whopping 26 as our high on Friday.

So now you live in NC?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

So now you live in NC?

I go to college at Wake Forest, which is in North Carolina. I won't be back home till March for Spring break Sad
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »

Southerners need to get some tough skin weatherwise? Yeah dude...weather is location dependent. In other words one is accustomed to one's own climate because it is a fact of life subjective to where you live. Lol. No sh**t its cold to us. Why post about it, let alone complain about how we poor southern folk can't stand the temperature? See you in July.

Yeah, and your point? We get high 80's and 90's weather with very high humidity in the summer too.  Maybe not the full time but we can stand it just as easily too. Good for you dude.
Raoul
burkenelson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.87, S: -0.74

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »

Yeah, and your point? We get high 80's and 90's weather with very high humidity in the summer too.  Maybe not the full time but we can stand it just as easily too. Good for you dude.

My point is bolded.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »

Things are actually pleasant here in the OC. Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »

If it ever gets icy in Mississippi, we pretty much have to shut the whole state down because nobody knows how to drive on ice, so it's extremely dangerous.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »

If it ever gets icy in Mississippi, we pretty much have to shut the whole state down because nobody knows how to drive on ice, so it's extremely dangerous.

South Carolina State Motto: Thank God For Mississippi Grin
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »

South Carolina State Motto: Thank God For Mississippi Grin

LOL

Yes!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »

My car didn't start up today. I had to call to get a jump. Luckily my insurance will cover the $50 bill. Unfortunately I was almost an hour late to work as a result, but I have a perfect attendance otherwise and I'm still above a normal work week and am still getting overtime on my next check, so it's not a huge deal.

And this is one of the few things I agree with MasterJedi on. If it's 50 I'll only put on my hooded sweatshirt. You have to get to around 25 or so for me to put on a heavy coat.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »

Attention all you who live in the upper midwest and the northeast.  STAY WARM as best you can.  As you know better than I do and I've been watching The Weather Channel, almost the entire Northeastern 1/4 of the country (Wichita, KS north and northeastward) are suffering with well below zero temperatures.  Jim Cantore just reported from Chicago where it was 5 degrees above zero with WCI about 5-10 below zero.  The WCI there is supposed to be -30 by tomorrow morning.  Northern Minnesota and North Dakota WCI's near 50 below zero in some cases with daytime highs on Wednesday no higher than -10.

Meanwhile, OKC is supposed to drop to a frigid (but seemingly warm) 15 degrees overnight Thursday morning and get into the high 20s and low 30s on Thursday.  However, our Wednesday is supposed to be in the 50s until the cold front starts oozing itself down our back door dropping us to the mid-teens Thursday and Friday morning.

I don't know and can't even fathom what it must feel like to experience temperatures that far below zero, but stay warm as best you can and stay safe.  Don't get out unless you have to.

MN and ND are supposed to warm up back to the 20s above zero by the end of the week.

I guess we'd better stock up on supplies of natural gas at affordable prices.  Know where we can buy some?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »

It's like -1000000 here. Or so I've heard. I haven't left the apartment today, but I am running out of food... Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies