Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 08:34:02 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!  (Read 25223 times)
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »
Ignore

A little insight re: the McCain areas in Brooklyn...

From the upper-left going to the lower right are Bay Ridge (Norwegian/Irish/mixed-white), Borough Park (Jewish), Midwood (Jewish), Bensonhurst (Italian), Bath Beach (Italian), Gravesend (Italian), Marine Park (Irish), Sheepshead Bay (mixed-white), and Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach (Russian/Ukrainian Jews; aka "Little Odessa"). 

The two Obama areas surrounded by McCain areas in Brooklyn are Dyker Heights (mixed-white; affluent) and Coney Island (Black/Hispanic).

Do you know how this matches up with Congressional districts? I saw on swingstateproject that McCain won Brooklyn's portion of NY-8, NY-9, and came close in Brooklyn's portion of NY-13.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:41:36 pm by nclib »Logged

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 12:11:36 pm »
Ignore

Have difficulty believing that McCain won NY-8; Kerry won it by like 45pts and it includes some really, really strong districts for Obama with higher turnouts than the Hassidic areas in Brooklyn. NY-9 is possible, I guess, though we need Queens figures to tell.

Richard Hoggart 1918-2014
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »
Ignore

Have difficulty believing that McCain won NY-8; Kerry won it by like 45pts and it includes some really, really strong districts for Obama with higher turnouts than the Hassidic areas in Brooklyn. NY-9 is possible, I guess, though we need Queens figures to tell.

I think he meant the Brooklyn areas of NY-8 and NY-9. Bush probably won the Brooklyn areas of NY-9, too. The Queens part is where the Democrats are.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »
Ignore

I think he meant the Brooklyn areas of NY-8 and NY-9. Bush probably won the Brooklyn areas of NY-9, too. The Queens part is where the Democrats are.

Correct, the Brooklyn portions of each. Though in both cases, Brooklyn's portions of votes were small. In addition to Queens being Democratic, most of NY-8 is in Manhattan, including some heavily Democratic areas.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:57 pm »
Ignore

Huh... I am actually really surprised that McCain carried any districts in Brooklyn.  He didn't even carry any in Pittsburgh (he lost one by a single vote).

Can someone explain?

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »
Ignore

It looks like Weiner won some of the blacker parts of Brooklyn

Why wouldn't Weiner be huge amongst blacks?

Because he's Jewish.

Franken had no problem winning the black parts of the Twin Cities (in both the primary and general).

Especially in the general, against his Jewish Republican opponent

And the primary against his non-Jewish Democratic opponent.

Wow.  Just wow.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:43 pm »
Ignore

Huh... I am actually really surprised that McCain carried any districts in Brooklyn.  He didn't even carry any in Pittsburgh (he lost one by a single vote).

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

n/c
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 10:56:27 pm »
Ignore

Wow, this Dov Hikind guy sounds like a real fascist. Aside from his insane nationalism and racism he also spoke out against gay marriage and compared homosexuality to incest. I'd have to vote for the Conservative Party candidate as the most liberal candidate running. Pretty scary someone would have to make a vote like that in New York City.

I did a little research. Looks like he was one of those nuts who went on about the Passion of the Christ being anti-semitic...

From Wiki:

The Passion of the Christ
In 2003, Hikind and a group of supporters protested Mel Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ. He led about 50 Jewish leaders and supporters to the Fox News Corp. offices in Manhattan in a demonstration, chanting "The Passion is a lethal weapon against Jews."[6] Hikind was vocal in his anger against the movie, saying: "It will result in anti-Semitism and bigotry. It really takes us back to the Dark Ages ... the Inquisition, the Crusades, all for the so-called sin of the Crucifixion of Jesus." After a News Corp. spokesman announced that they had passed on the film, Hikind warned other movie companies that they too should not distribute the film.[7]

What an asshat. Yeah, remember all of that worldwide anti-Semitism as a result of the movie.  Roll Eyes

In defense of world-wide antisemitism, its not like they ever needed a reason before.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:50 pm »
Ignore

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Thanks, but even still.  I would expect McCain to poll well in those areas, but not win them.

I know they aren't exactly huge fans of the "schwarzers" there, but you would think if McCain could win there, he would have at least come close in an Upper Eastside District.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:22 pm »
Ignore

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Thanks, but even still.  I would expect McCain to poll well in those areas, but not win them.

I know they aren't exactly huge fans of the "schwarzers" there, but you would think if McCain could win there, he would have at least come close in an Upper Eastside District.

Really?  In this election, areas like those were practically complete antitheses of each other.

n/c
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:45 pm »
Ignore

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Really?  In this election, areas like those were practically complete antitheses of each other.

I know, but what I am saying is that I am just quite surprised that McCain got trounced in the parts where the Republicans should, in theory, be the strongest, while carrying working class NYC.  Like I said, I'm not totally shocked, but it just seems odd.  If McCain had a 40% showing anywhere in Brooklyn, I would have thought that pretty good.

Not to pull a BRTD, because I know the comparison isn't that close, but Obama trashed McCain in Squirrel Hill, which is Pittsburgh's Jewish neighborhood.  After what he said about us out here, I find it odd that McCain carried not a district in this city, while he didn't do half bad in New York.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:18 pm »
Ignore

Actually, when I said "district" I meant to say that McCain didn't even carry a single ward here.

Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2009, 08:07:19 am »
Ignore

while carrying working class NYC.

Well, certain (better off) bits of it anyway. He didn't exactly do well in the Bronx Tongue

Not to pull a BRTD, because I know the comparison isn't that close, but Obama trashed McCain in Squirrel Hill, which is Pittsburgh's Jewish neighborhood. 

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas; correct me if I'm wrong (please do, btw. Pittsburgh is interesting) but I don't think that Squirrel Hill has many Hasidim.

Btw, do you have, like, a map of the wards and ward results for Pittsburgh?

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2009, 10:07:58 am »
Ignore

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas;

Some Russian areas as well.
Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2009, 11:20:18 am »
Ignore

Ah, the district does extend a little further east than I remembered, yes.

Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:18 am »
Ignore

while carrying working class NYC.

Well, certain (better off) bits of it anyway. He didn't exactly do well in the Bronx Tongue

Not to pull a BRTD, because I know the comparison isn't that close, but Obama trashed McCain in Squirrel Hill, which is Pittsburgh's Jewish neighborhood. 

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas; correct me if I'm wrong (please do, btw. Pittsburgh is interesting) but I don't think that Squirrel Hill has many Hasidim.

Btw, do you have, like, a map of the wards and ward results for Pittsburgh?

Yes. Important to clarify. These are not "Jewish areas". If that were the case, it would include all of Manhattan south of 110th St. These are Hasidic Jewish areas (and some Orthodox areas)--they always vote strongly Republican. Bush won basically all the same areas of Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:31:23 pm by Verily »Logged
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:27 am »
Ignore

Ya, the blue area furthest to the east includes Brighton Beach.

I'd have to look at it precinct-by-precinct, of course.
Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:42 am »
Ignore

These are Hasidic Jewish areas (and some Orthodox areas)--they always vote strongly Republican.

Spitzer seems to have won them Grin

(Actually, I think Clinton, just about, did as well).

Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:24 pm »
Ignore

Ya, the blue area furthest to the east includes Brighton Beach.

I'd have to look at it precinct-by-precinct, of course.

And some of the most Russian parts of it as well.

Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
Ignore

The mainstream non-Orthodox American Jewish population is very Democratic. The national exit poll, for instance, had (all) Jews at 78% Obama, the aggregate of state exit polls (which, it's worth noting, is a different and larger sample than the national one) had Obama at 76%, and Jewish respondents to the Gallup daily tracking in October were 74% Obama (77% if you redistribute the undecideds - source for all these at http://thesolomonproject.org/, the link under "headlines"). Meaning presumably that the not-all-that-religious were somewere in the 80's for Barack.

Does Pittsburgh have a lot of Italian areas? If so, the contrast between those and the NYC ones is perhaps more interesting, since I might guess (though I don't know at all) that they're more similar in non-political aspects.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »
Ignore

the only Jewish Republicans I know are Russian Jews, and they're hard right. What's up with that?

Comrade Sibboleth
Realpolitik
Moderators
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
Ignore

Queens added!

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:12 am »
Ignore

I see Riker's Island went hard for the Democrat.  Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:10 am »
Ignore

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

Also, what happened at College Point?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:03:47 am by Verily »Logged
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:19 pm »
Ignore

Wait, what's the dark grey for?

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.