NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!  (Read 44981 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »

Have difficulty believing that McCain won NY-8; Kerry won it by like 45pts and it includes some really, really strong districts for Obama with higher turnouts than the Hassidic areas in Brooklyn. NY-9 is possible, I guess, though we need Queens figures to tell.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »

Have difficulty believing that McCain won NY-8; Kerry won it by like 45pts and it includes some really, really strong districts for Obama with higher turnouts than the Hassidic areas in Brooklyn. NY-9 is possible, I guess, though we need Queens figures to tell.

I think he meant the Brooklyn areas of NY-8 and NY-9. Bush probably won the Brooklyn areas of NY-9, too. The Queens part is where the Democrats are.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »

I think he meant the Brooklyn areas of NY-8 and NY-9. Bush probably won the Brooklyn areas of NY-9, too. The Queens part is where the Democrats are.

Correct, the Brooklyn portions of each. Though in both cases, Brooklyn's portions of votes were small. In addition to Queens being Democratic, most of NY-8 is in Manhattan, including some heavily Democratic areas.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »

Huh... I am actually really surprised that McCain carried any districts in Brooklyn.  He didn't even carry any in Pittsburgh (he lost one by a single vote).

Can someone explain?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:02 PM »

It looks like Weiner won some of the blacker parts of Brooklyn

Why wouldn't Weiner be huge amongst blacks?

Because he's Jewish.

Franken had no problem winning the black parts of the Twin Cities (in both the primary and general).

Especially in the general, against his Jewish Republican opponent

And the primary against his non-Jewish Democratic opponent.

Wow.  Just wow.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »

Huh... I am actually really surprised that McCain carried any districts in Brooklyn.  He didn't even carry any in Pittsburgh (he lost one by a single vote).

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »

Wow, this Dov Hikind guy sounds like a real fascist. Aside from his insane nationalism and racism he also spoke out against gay marriage and compared homosexuality to incest. I'd have to vote for the Conservative Party candidate as the most liberal candidate running. Pretty scary someone would have to make a vote like that in New York City.

I did a little research. Looks like he was one of those nuts who went on about the Passion of the Christ being anti-semitic...

From Wiki:

The Passion of the Christ
In 2003, Hikind and a group of supporters protested Mel Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ. He led about 50 Jewish leaders and supporters to the Fox News Corp. offices in Manhattan in a demonstration, chanting "The Passion is a lethal weapon against Jews."[6] Hikind was vocal in his anger against the movie, saying: "It will result in anti-Semitism and bigotry. It really takes us back to the Dark Ages ... the Inquisition, the Crusades, all for the so-called sin of the Crucifixion of Jesus." After a News Corp. spokesman announced that they had passed on the film, Hikind warned other movie companies that they too should not distribute the film.[7]

What an asshat. Yeah, remember all of that worldwide anti-Semitism as a result of the movie.  Roll Eyes

In defense of world-wide antisemitism, its not like they ever needed a reason before.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Thanks, but even still.  I would expect McCain to poll well in those areas, but not win them.

I know they aren't exactly huge fans of the "schwarzers" there, but you would think if McCain could win there, he would have at least come close in an Upper Eastside District.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Thanks, but even still.  I would expect McCain to poll well in those areas, but not win them.

I know they aren't exactly huge fans of the "schwarzers" there, but you would think if McCain could win there, he would have at least come close in an Upper Eastside District.

Really?  In this election, areas like those were practically complete antitheses of each other.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »

Can someone explain?

Someone has Tongue

Really?  In this election, areas like those were practically complete antitheses of each other.

I know, but what I am saying is that I am just quite surprised that McCain got trounced in the parts where the Republicans should, in theory, be the strongest, while carrying working class NYC.  Like I said, I'm not totally shocked, but it just seems odd.  If McCain had a 40% showing anywhere in Brooklyn, I would have thought that pretty good.

Not to pull a BRTD, because I know the comparison isn't that close, but Obama trashed McCain in Squirrel Hill, which is Pittsburgh's Jewish neighborhood.  After what he said about us out here, I find it odd that McCain carried not a district in this city, while he didn't do half bad in New York.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:18 PM »

Actually, when I said "district" I meant to say that McCain didn't even carry a single ward here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »

Well, certain (better off) bits of it anyway. He didn't exactly do well in the Bronx Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas; correct me if I'm wrong (please do, btw. Pittsburgh is interesting) but I don't think that Squirrel Hill has many Hasidim.

Btw, do you have, like, a map of the wards and ward results for Pittsburgh?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas;

Some Russian areas as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »

Ah, the district does extend a little further east than I remembered, yes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2009, 06:31:23 PM by Verily »

Well, certain (better off) bits of it anyway. He didn't exactly do well in the Bronx Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas; correct me if I'm wrong (please do, btw. Pittsburgh is interesting) but I don't think that Squirrel Hill has many Hasidim.

Btw, do you have, like, a map of the wards and ward results for Pittsburgh?

Yes. Important to clarify. These are not "Jewish areas". If that were the case, it would include all of Manhattan south of 110th St. These are Hasidic Jewish areas (and some Orthodox areas)--they always vote strongly Republican. Bush won basically all the same areas of Brooklyn.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Ya, the blue area furthest to the east includes Brighton Beach.

I'd have to look at it precinct-by-precinct, of course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

These are Hasidic Jewish areas (and some Orthodox areas)--they always vote strongly Republican.

Spitzer seems to have won them Grin

(Actually, I think Clinton, just about, did as well).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »

Ya, the blue area furthest to the east includes Brighton Beach.

I'd have to look at it precinct-by-precinct, of course.

And some of the most Russian parts of it as well.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »

The mainstream non-Orthodox American Jewish population is very Democratic. The national exit poll, for instance, had (all) Jews at 78% Obama, the aggregate of state exit polls (which, it's worth noting, is a different and larger sample than the national one) had Obama at 76%, and Jewish respondents to the Gallup daily tracking in October were 74% Obama (77% if you redistribute the undecideds - source for all these at http://thesolomonproject.org/, the link under "headlines"). Meaning presumably that the not-all-that-religious were somewere in the 80's for Barack.

Does Pittsburgh have a lot of Italian areas? If so, the contrast between those and the NYC ones is perhaps more interesting, since I might guess (though I don't know at all) that they're more similar in non-political aspects.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »

the only Jewish Republicans I know are Russian Jews, and they're hard right. What's up with that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »

Queens added!
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »

I see Riker's Island went hard for the Democrat.  Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 11:03:47 AM by Verily »

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

Also, what happened at College Point?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

Wait, what's the dark grey for?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom