NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:06:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!  (Read 45399 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

Bay Ridge, of course, is actually a Democratic area--but that district is the same as the southeastern Staten Island one, and that area of Staten Island is the most intensely Republican part.

Anyway, very nice map. What are the chances for a map by City Council district or Senate district?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »

Fields obviously had less than complete control of the Black vote.
Seems there may have been a Southern vs Caribbean element to that.

I suspect the Caribbean (black) votes were mostly just against Ferrer. And Weiner was the only real vote against Ferrer by the end.

Didn't help that Fields was from Manhattan, either.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »

Have difficulty believing that McCain won NY-8; Kerry won it by like 45pts and it includes some really, really strong districts for Obama with higher turnouts than the Hassidic areas in Brooklyn. NY-9 is possible, I guess, though we need Queens figures to tell.

I think he meant the Brooklyn areas of NY-8 and NY-9. Bush probably won the Brooklyn areas of NY-9, too. The Queens part is where the Democrats are.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2009, 06:31:23 PM by Verily »

Well, certain (better off) bits of it anyway. He didn't exactly do well in the Bronx Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas; correct me if I'm wrong (please do, btw. Pittsburgh is interesting) but I don't think that Squirrel Hill has many Hasidim.

Btw, do you have, like, a map of the wards and ward results for Pittsburgh?

Yes. Important to clarify. These are not "Jewish areas". If that were the case, it would include all of Manhattan south of 110th St. These are Hasidic Jewish areas (and some Orthodox areas)--they always vote strongly Republican. Bush won basically all the same areas of Brooklyn.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 11:03:47 AM by Verily »

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

Also, what happened at College Point?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

Great Neck is heavily Jewish.

True, but so are the whites in Bayside. Bayside just has a lot of Koreans in the mix, and more blacks and Hispanics than Great Neck, which shouldn't really make it less Democratic.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »

Great Neck is heavily Jewish.

True, but so are the whites in Bayside. Bayside just has a lot of Koreans in the mix, and more blacks and Hispanics than Great Neck, which shouldn't really make it less Democratic.

Great Neck has a pretty large Asian population as well (the two high schools in Great Neck I believe are 25-30% Asian).   Great Neck is also more Jewish than Bayside.  I'm pretty sure Bayside has a sizeable Italian population as well something that Great Neck really doesn't have.

Not so sure on the Italian population in Bayside itself, but I just took another look at the districts map and noticed that the district also contains Whitestone, which I think is a very Italian and (non-Jewish) Eastern European area, generally Republican demographics in NYC.

Still wondering about College Point. Is that a coloration error on Al's part?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2009, 07:29:35 PM by Verily »

Going by the AD map, it looks like that would be Joan Millman's Park Slope-Carroll Gardens-Brooklyn Heights district, AD 52, which is really no surprise. Park Slope is the sort of neighborhood where the Greens could outpoll the Republicans.

That district is colored D>90% on the map, while all of the other majority white districts are D>80% or less.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2009, 12:34:49 AM by Verily »

Are you two sure AD 69 is white majority? Yes, Morningside Heights is white-majority, but Manhattan Valley is overwhelmingly minority, and I can't imagine Morningside Heights being more than 60% or so white. (I suppose if you include Hispanic whites in the total as opposed to as a separate category, AD 69 might be majority white.) Plus, that district has Manhattanville, too, and Manhattanville has almost no whites at all.

AD 52 is Inner Brooklyn, the basic very liberal but also very white areas of brownstone Brooklyn

AD 66 is Greenwich Village (very liberal and artsy, and also the home of NYU), the West Village (very gay), the East Village (very liberal, artsy and gentrifying), SoHo (artsy and fashionable), and TriBeCa (wealthy and liberal)

AD 67 is the Upper West Side (wealthy and also very liberal, as contrasted with the even more wealthy but much less liberal and traditionally Republican Upper East Side, although obviously not anymore as both of its districts were solidly for Obama) and Hell's Kitchen, a recently gentrifying neighborhood with a very large gay population

AD 74 is Stuy Town (an enormous housing cooperative), Alphabet City (artsy and gentrifying but still very poor along the East River), Gramercy (obscenely wealthy around Gramercy Park, otherwise bland "Manhattan middle class", which means mostly actual families with $200,000-$500,000 incomes), and Kips Bay and Murray Hill (wealthy but fairly commercial, relatively few residents compared to the rest of the district). It also contains the UN at the very northern edge of the district, but of course they don't vote (which also lowers the vote total in Murray Hill, tons of diplomats and foreign nationals).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies