Foreign-born President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:34:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Foreign-born President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Foreign-born President  (Read 36467 times)
Brutus
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2004, 09:15:22 PM »

Since the election of Gov. Schwarzenegger, there's talk about amending the constitution to allow foreign-born citizens to hold the office of President.  First, do you think this is likely to ever happen?  Secondly, and for fun, cast your vote on who would win a hypothetical match-up between Austrian-born Gov. Schwarzenegger and Canadian-born Gov. Granholm.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 09:39:39 PM »

I would support this amendment, I agree with arnold, we live in a more global society today and if you have been a citizen for 20 years, you deserve to have the right to run for president.

PRESIDENT GRANHOLM Tongue
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 09:49:13 PM »

I don't know if I would support this does anyone Know if other countries allow foreign born people to run.

Granholm would make a bad bad bad president.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »

Granholm would get elected if the amendment passed
California Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 09:50:34 PM »

well I think it is fine, but all this talk about ammending the constitution...arent there far more important areas to ammend it, how about fixing the Electoral College first?

RE: Arnie vs Grandholm

I got to go with the babe here....and I doubt Arnie would survive a Republican primary process which is still winner take all, California may be able to handle him, but he is a Democrat from the point of view of the South.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »

Granholm and schwarzenegger both have similar views
Granholm's a moderate democrat and schwarzenegger is a liberal republican.

A Granholm vs. Schwarzenegger election would be fun
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 06:57:05 AM »

It's highly unlikely to happen, it's just too much hassle to change the constitution. Certainly it's not going to happen while one major party has a credible foreign-born contender, the other party would be hell-bent to prevent it.
I guess Arnold would probably win, not that I like the prospect.
Of course no civilized nation would ever ban foreign-born citizens from political office, the only places where I know of such a rule are the US and Cote d'Ivoire, where it was introduced to keep the most popular candidate, Alassane, I've forgotten the surname, from running. (He was born in Burkina Faso.)
dunn

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 07:10:25 AM »

the sur name is OUATTARA
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 07:34:51 AM »

It's highly unlikely to happen, it's just too much hassle to change the constitution. Certainly it's not going to happen while one major party has a credible foreign-born contender, the other party would be hell-bent to prevent it.
Of course no civilized nation would ever ban foreign-born citizens from political office, the only places where I know of such a rule are the US and Cote d'Ivoire, where it was introduced to keep the most popular candidate, Alassane, I've forgotten the surname, from running. (He was born in Burkina Faso.)
In Finland we also have such a rule. President of Finland should be native Finnish.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 07:36:18 AM »

In Finland we also have such a rule. President of Finland should be native Finnish.
Alright, I guess there's a number more. I just don't know of any other examples. Certainly there's no such rule in either Germany or India.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 08:12:41 AM »

I think Granholm would win narrowly against Arnold.
dunn

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 09:08:01 AM »

Alright, I guess there's a number more. I just don't know of any other examples. Certainly there's no such rule in either Germany or India.

most countries do not have such a law
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 10:38:33 AM »

Schwarzenegger would lose... remember the Wille Horton ads?
Say hello to Kurt Waldheim ads...
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 11:24:24 AM »

Granholm would win shes more likeable
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 12:14:08 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2004, 01:00:51 PM by jmfcst »

I am against amending the constitution for this reason.  Nor do I think it would pass.  
elcorazon

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 12:26:09 PM »

I believe this is completely antiquated and is exactly the type of thing that is worthy of amending the constitution over.  When this country was formed, it was a completely different world and the issue made sense.  I think that it is a real shame that kids from Korea or China or wherever who are adopted as babies into familes of US citizens and know no other world besides the United States cannot be president because they were born elsewhere.  Let us not forget that the president has to be elected so the concern over allegiances is pretty remote, given that they have to win an electoral victory anyway.  Obviously, there would need to be SOME guidelines, with respect to citizenship, etc., but in theory I'm all for foreign born Presidents.
NHPolitico

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 02:44:51 PM »

Granholm would win shes more likeable

I saw her on Fox News Sunday. She was a smooth operator. I was impressed.
M

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 01:00:46 AM »

Whoa, you mean, like,  there's politcs and stuff happening in California, dudes? Righteous! Oh, like, you mean it's totally Arnold Schwarzenegger the movie star? Whoa-oa-oa, awesome, man! I would like, totally, want to like, amend the constitution for Arnold, man. Whoa-oa!

Oh, yeah, Arnold would like, totally, crush the Canadian chick.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 01:06:36 AM »

Arnold is a clown.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 01:50:24 AM »

Arnold is a great public servant and is an excellent Governor.
Demrepdan

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 02:24:08 AM »

Arnold is a great public servant and is an excellent Governor.

Yeah? Well he's not all too good of an actor......"Ja! GET DOWN! HERE COMES DA HELA-KOPTER!!! IT IZ ZOOTING AT US!!! GET DOWN!! AGGH!!"
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 02:33:06 AM »

I'm against this amendment.

But I would vote for Arnold(As I would have in the REcall but I missed it by 4 months) and I think he'd crush pretty much anyone with his name recognition alone.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 07:36:48 AM »

I believe this is completely antiquated and is exactly the type of thing that is worthy of amending the constitution over.  When this country was formed, it was a completely different world and the issue made sense.  I think that it is a real shame that kids from Korea or China or wherever who are adopted as babies into familes of US citizens and know no other world besides the United States cannot be president because they were born elsewhere.  Let us not forget that the president has to be elected so the concern over allegiances is pretty remote, given that they have to win an electoral victory anyway.  Obviously, there would need to be SOME guidelines, with respect to citizenship, etc., but in theory I'm all for foreign born Presidents.
All those arguments were entirely valid back then.
In fact, the Constitution says that those who immigrated before its adoption are eligible as Presidents.

Seems to me the Founding Fathers seriously undervalued the longevity of the document they drew up...and the difficulties in changing it.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 12:45:07 PM »

Whoa, you mean, like,  there's politcs and stuff happening in California, dudes? Righteous! Oh, like, you mean it's totally Arnold Schwarzenegger the movie star? Whoa-oa-oa, awesome, man! I would like, totally, want to like, amend the constitution for Arnold, man. Whoa-oa!

Oh, yeah, Arnold would like, totally, crush the Canadian chick.

BTW M Dude! you sure you shouldn't have a California like as your Avatar?

LOL
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 03:48:17 PM »

I am against amending the constitution for this reason.  Nor do I think it would pass.  

But you support amending the constitution to ban gay marraige.  I never understood social conservatives.  They want to amend the consitution to take rights away, but oppose amending it to add rights.  Huh
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies