What?!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What?!  (Read 1899 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2009, 10:50:42 PM by Lunar »

Note that the "South African Development Community" includes Zimbabwe, Bush had halted weapons transfers to this "Community" in 2002 for very specific reasons but in the last hours of his presidency he's allowing it?!?!?!

Memorandum for the Secretary of State
Presidential Determination No. 2009-13

SUBJECT: Eligibility of the Southern African Development Community to Receive Defense Articles and Defense Services under the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as Amended, and the Arms Export Control Act, as Amended

White House News
Pursuant to the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including section 503(a) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended, and section 3(a)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act, as amended, I hereby find that the furnishing of defense articles and defense services to the Southern African Development Community will strengthen the security of the United States and promote world peace.

You are authorized and directed to transmit this determination to the Congress and to arrange for its publication in the Federal Register.

GEORGE W. BUSH

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2009/01/20090116-7.html

South African Development Community: http://www.sadc.int/
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »

Can someone talk me down so I don't become even more jaded?  Either I'm misinterpreting this or Bush is outright evil.  I hope it's the former.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

Can someone talk me down so I don't become even more jaded?  Either I'm misinterpreting this or Bush is outright evil.  I hope it's the former.
this is America we will sell weapons to our worst enemies in many cases.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:47 PM »

But will we forbid selling weapons to Zimbabwe and in the last minute of our presidency green light it again six years later?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »

You really aren't jaded enough.

True, Lunar's pal Robert Gates was a key player in the Iran-contra scandal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2009, 12:05:32 AM by Lunar »

I was willing to accept that starting a war in Iraq in order to help his reelection bid (through campaign contributions from benefiting parties & being the "president at war") was a more-than-strong possibility.

But selling weapons to Zimbabwe for no electoral gain?  I'd much prefer a president who promised to do this and then didn't follow through with it than a president who promised something evil and then went through with it when it didn't matter

Can someone examine this and talk me down?  I think there's a 50/50 chance I'm wrong but this is possibly the most unquestionably evil thing I've seen the US Government do in a while
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »

This really doesn't make sense. I hope there's a good explanation or that this is a big misunderstanding.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »

This really doesn't make sense. I hope there's a good explanation or that this is a big misunderstanding.

I know, me too.  I suspect it'll be undereported because it's nuanced and the media doesn't like nuance.

I give myself a 50/50 chance at screwing this up.

But this is a big deal if I'm not.  A big evil deal. 

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:57:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

True, Lunar's pal Robert Gates was a key player in the Iran-contra scandal.
[/quote]

I didn't realize I was his "pal."  I thought I thought that he was merely competent enough to hold the post for a year until someone replaces him but I guess I was wrong
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

HULK SMASH
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 01:35:45 AM »

For any Bush apologists, I ask you this:  If there are ANY, ANY legitimate intentions regarding this executive decision, why would it be made in the waning hours of his presidency?  Aren't last-minute proclamations inherently sketchy?  AREN'T THEY?!

AHGHGHGH
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:38:03 AM »

I may be way off the mark here (I've had four drinks tonight), but is this such a big deal considering that Obama can rescind the order Tuesday afternoon?  Are we really going to make a major arms deal with Zimbabwe over the weekend?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 01:39:38 AM »

It's private arms deals I'm f***king upset about, not official US-government mandated decisions

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/top10-2008/index10.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:40:15 AM »

I may be way off the mark here (I've had four drinks tonight), but is this such a big deal considering that Obama can rescind the order Tuesday afternoon?  Are we really going to make a major arms deal with Zimbabwe over the weekend?

Well, that's true but if this is what it looks like, it's just an incredibly assinine thing to do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 01:40:59 AM »

Zimbabwe and SADC aren't synonymous.  SADC does have a "brigade" of a little over 500 peacekeepers that are currently deployed in the DR Congo.  I suspect and hope this is to allow SADC to equip and arm those peacekeepers with U.S. weapons.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »

Zimbabwe and SADC aren't synonymous.  SADC does have a "brigade" of a little over 500 peacekeepers that are currently deployed in the DR Congo.  I suspect and hope this is to allow SADC to equip and arm those peacekeepers with U.S. weapons.

Hopefully you're right.  I know they aren't synonymous, but...

1.  Why is this a decision made in the last minute of his presidency?

2.  Why is this decision so vague as to not preclude Zimbabwe from receiving arms?  Obviously Bush made the decision in 2002 to deny them weapons, why wouldn't the language of his last minute proclamations be more specific?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:10 AM »

SADC is getting the arms, not any member country, and as I understand it, a transfer to any specific member would require separate approval.  The SADC peacekeeping brigade only got launched a few months ago, so its possible that it's being done now in response to a request by SADC to buy equipment for the newly-formed brigade.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:53:16 AM »

SADC is getting the arms, not any member country, and as I understand it, a transfer to any specific member would require separate approval.  The SADC peacekeeping brigade only got launched a few months ago, so its possible that it's being done now in response to a request by SADC to buy equipment for the newly-formed brigade.

Ok.  I mean, as a person who still wants to believe in humanity I accept this explanation.  But isn't Friday the traditional day that presidents release bad news so as to bury them in the news cycle?  And isn't launching this decision in the last Friday of his presidency suspicious?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 01:56:40 AM »

Ok.  I mean, as a person who still wants to believe in humanity I accept this explanation.  But isn't Friday the traditional day that presidents release bad news so as to bury them in the news cycle?  And isn't launching this decision in the last Friday of his presidency suspicious?
Yes and yes.  Still, probably nothing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 02:04:25 AM »

AM I CRAZY
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 02:07:12 AM »

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 02:20:08 AM »

everything considering this is Lunar's hunt (helped by TPM)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies