Your view of hypocrisy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your view of hypocrisy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your view of hypocrisy  (Read 1698 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »

On the one hand, I believe that just because a person can't meet the standards he believes in doesn't mean those standards are wrong.  If someone I agree with doesn't meet his standards, I'm willing to give the idea a benefit of a doubt, though perhaps not him.

On the other hand, if someone I disagree with can't meet his standards, then the lying, sanctimonious blowhard just invalidated his entire argument by his conduct.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »

Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

Hypocrisy is not when someone sets high standards that they fail to meet.  Everyone naturally does that.  If I ever have children, I intend to set higher standards for them, because I want them to be better people than myself.

Hypocrisy is setting one standard for oneself, and then an entirely different standard for another.

I don't think anyone should set standards of conduct that are easy to live up to, because then your life becomes about complacency, and not embetterment.

I also don't think anyone should judge people who don't live up to high standards, because that is a simple lack of perspective and humility.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »

Hypocrisy is not when someone sets high standards that they fail to meet.  Everyone naturally does that.  If I ever have children, I intend to set higher standards for them, because I want them to be better people than myself.

Hypocrisy is setting one standard for oneself, and then an entirely different standard for another.

I don't think anyone should set standards of conduct that are easy to live up to, because then your life becomes about complacency, and not embetterment.

I also don't think anyone should judge people who don't live up to high standards, because that is a simple lack of perspective and humility.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »

It sucks, as does its prevalence in Congress.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:43:24 AM »

I agree with Supersoulty.  Also, the level of hypocrisy would matter too.  Does the hypocrite say donuts should be taxed more yet he eats five free donuts everyday at work?  Or does he say he loves freedom while voting for people that continue to keep the victimless crimes laws on the books.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »

I would much rather have people who are sometimes hypocritical than the alternative.  That is, people who rationalize away every moral wrong, or don't hold moral standards whatsoever.

I think our cultural attitude of search-and-destroy toward hypocrisy (and lies, unrelatedly) is kind of screwed up.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »

I would much rather have people who are sometimes hypocritical than the alternative.  That is, people who rationalize away every moral wrong, or don't hold moral standards whatsoever.

I think our cultural attitude of search-and-destroy toward hypocrisy (and lies, unrelatedly) is kind of screwed up.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »

Hiposcrisy is the honor that vice pays to virtue.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

There's a line to cross before someone becomes a hypocrite, at least as far as I'm concerned. Nobody is perfect, so even if you have high standards of moral conduct that you expect people to follow there will be times you'll slip up.

To me the important thing is what you do after you fail to practice what you preach. If I slip up, I try to correct whatever wrong I've done. A hypocrite wouldn't do that, they'd just continue on as usual, and would preach that people shouldn't do what they just did. They likely wouldn't even feel guilty, and deny that they did anything.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »

There are times when hypocrisy is necessary--one who is incapable of achieving something can encourage others to try to achieve it. Though in general, hypocrisy is undesirable and our society has far too much of it.

The religious right provides plenty of examples of hypocrisy that are accepted more than they should be. They talk about the sanctity of marriage, yet those involved in the movement have higher divorce rates than the general population. They talk about protecting unborn "children," yet are less likely to be supportive of health care for children that have been born. They want people to follow what they say, not what they do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 04:16:45 AM »

Any belief in objective value is an abdication of reason.  Of course there's nothing wrong with that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »

There are times when hypocrisy is necessary--one who is incapable of achieving something can encourage others to try to achieve it.

I don't think that constitutes hypocrisy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

Hypocrisy is fine when I do it; It is inexcusable when anyone else does it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies