Senate and Referendum Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:03:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate and Referendum Amendment  (Read 1913 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »

1. Article I, Section 1, Clause 1 shall be amended to read: "The Senate shall be composed of five Senators, each with a term of four months. All Senators shall be elected from Regions"

2. Article I, Section 1, Clause 3 shall be repealed.

3. Article I, Section 1, Clause 4 shall be amended to read: "The Senate shall choose their officers, and also a President pro tempore"

4. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 shall be amended to read: "For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote, including the president pro tempore. If the president pro tempore does not vote for the bill or resolution, the Senate may still pass the bill or resolution if two-thirds of its members vote for it. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it shall be presented to the President of the Republic of Atlasia,
unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate. If the President approves, he shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall be sent to the regions as a referendum. If a majority of the regions vote in favor of the legislation, it shall become law. If a Bill is not returned to the Senate by the President within seven days after it shall have been presented to him, it shall become Law regardless."

5. Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 shall be amended to read: "The Senate shall consist of one class, which shall comprise the Senators elected from the Regions."

6. Article I, Section 4, Clause 2 shall be amended to read: "Elections for the seats shall be held in the months of February, June and October, however, a region shall have the power to change when the election for their Senate seat is held, so long as it occurs at least three times a year." 

7. Article I, Section 4, Clause 4 shall be amended to read: "If a vacancy shall occur in a Senate seat, then the Governor of that Region shall appoint a person to fill the remainder of that term."

8. Article I, Section 4, Clause 5 shall be repealed.

Sponsor: SPC
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:21 PM »

Hmm, an interesting idea.  Shrinking the Senate might help things I guess?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

I'm kind of wary of voting myself out of a job... Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

If you don't mind me getting into the conversation, I must say, I don't like this idea.

I strongly oppose regionalizing all Senate seats, just as I oppose nationalizing them all. What's so bad about our hybrid system?

Secondly...what's the point of the referendums? Why even bother with a representive form of government if we're going to be holding a referendum every time a law doesn't pass the conventional way?

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »

Definetly gonna vote againest this.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »

Since PurpleState was the one who wanted me to introduce this, maybe it would be best for him to answer your questions.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:09:54 AM »

First, I offer the following as a friendly:

Federal Government Restructuring Amendment

1. Article I, Section 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The Senate shall be composed of five Senators, each with a term of four months. Senators shall be elected from each Region, respectively."

2. Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

3. Article I, Section 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The Senate shall choose their other officers, and also appoint a President of the Senate internally to be vested with powers determined by this Constitution and Senate rules and proceedings."

4. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 is amended to read: "For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it shall be presented to the Premier of the Senate, unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate. If the Premier approves, he shall sign it, and it shall be passed to the President of the Republic of Atlasia. If the Premier does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall be presented to the President. If the President approves, he shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, and the Bill does not have the signature of the Premier, it shall not become Law. If the President does not approve, and the Bill has the signature of the Premier, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall be presented to the people by way of public referendum. The Bill shall become Law upon approval by a majority of the People voting in public polls in a majority of the Regions. Such votes shall last for exactly five days and shall be administered by the Governor of the Region or other officer as the Law of the Region may provide. Citizens will cast their vote by public post. If a Bill is not returned to the Senate by the President within seven days after it shall have been presented to him, it shall become Law regardless."

5. Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

6. Article I, Section 4, Clause 2 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Elections for the seats of the Senate shall be held in the months of February, June and October."

7. Article I, Section 4, Clause 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "If a vacancy shall occur in a Senate seat, then the Governor of that Region shall appoint a person to fill the remainder of that term."

8. Article I, Section 4, Clause 5 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

9. Article II, Section I, Clause 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall be elected for a term of approximately four months."

10. Article II, Section I, Clause 2 of the Constitution is amended to read: "No person shall be President who has not attained 250 or more posts, and is not a registered voter."

11. Article II, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The President shall take office at noon Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday in the month after their election."

12. Article II, Section 3 is hereby renamed: "Vacancy and Incapacity of the Presidency"

13. Article II, Section 3, Clause 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "If the Presidency shall ever fall vacant, the President of the Senate shall become President. If the Presidency of the Senate is also vacant, then the Senate shall elect one of its members as President of the Senate to fill the office of the President of the Republic of Atlasia. The Senate shall provide for a special election to the presidency within one month of the office's vacancy."

14. Article II, Section 3, Clause 2 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

15. Article II, Section 3, Clause 3 of the Constitution is amended to read: "No person shall be elected to the office of President more than twice consecutively."

16. Article II, Section 3, Clause 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Whenever the President transmits to the Senate his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the President of the Senate as Acting President."

17. Article II, Section 3, Clause 5 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Whenever the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia and a two-thirds majority of the Senate sign a declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the President of the Senate shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President. Thereafter the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office upon his declaration that he is capable of discharging the said powers and duties, or when the Chief Justice and Senate annul their previous declaration."

18. All Amendments and Statutes currently governing the office of the Vice President are hereby void insofar as they relate to that office.

19. All Amendments and Statutes currently governing the office of the President pro tempore are amended to replace all instances of "President pro tempore" with "President of the Senate."

I will answer current questions in the next post.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:25:49 AM »

I'm kind of wary of voting myself out of a job... Tongue

I understand that sentiment, but I do hope you will all vote for the good of Atlasia, not your own seats. I know I run the risk of alienating half of the Senate with this Amendment right of the bat.

If you don't mind me getting into the conversation, I must say, I don't like this idea.

I strongly oppose regionalizing all Senate seats, just as I oppose nationalizing them all. What's so bad about our hybrid system?

Secondly...what's the point of the referendums? Why even bother with a representive form of government if we're going to be holding a referendum every time a law doesn't pass the conventional way?

I understand your first worry and I agree. There should never be a concentration of excess power in the regions or the national government. However, I believe that this Amendment avoids that, even when concentrating Senate power in the regions.

In a way, the bill has a two-fold effect. It increases both regional power and national power, kind of a "cancel out" effect, while also increasing power in the people. Not every law will go to the people, because the Amendment should force increased compromise and collaboration between the regional Senators and between the Senate and the President. In addition, referendums will increase activity on the boards (which is nearing rock bottom) and concentrate power where it belongs, with the people. In essence, no one gains or loses but the people. It makes the environment far more interactive and deal-driven, rather than hostile and removed.

I am sorry to hear that. What about the Amendment do you oppose?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »

I will introduce and accept the following amendment as friendly:

First, I offer the following as a friendly:

Federal Government Restructuring Amendment

1. Article I, Section 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The Senate shall be composed of five Senators, each with a term of four months. Senators shall be elected from each Region, respectively."

2. Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

3. Article I, Section 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The Senate shall choose their other officers, and also appoint a President of the Senate internally to be vested with powers determined by this Constitution and Senate rules and proceedings."

4. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 is amended to read: "For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it shall be presented to the Premier of the Senate, unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate. If the Premier approves, he shall sign it, and it shall be passed to the President of the Republic of Atlasia. If the Premier does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall be presented to the President. If the President approves, he shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, and the Bill does not have the signature of the Premier, it shall not become Law. If the President does not approve, and the Bill has the signature of the Premier, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall be presented to the people by way of public referendum. The Bill shall become Law upon approval by a majority of the People voting in public polls in a majority of the Regions. Such votes shall last for exactly five days and shall be administered by the Governor of the Region or other officer as the Law of the Region may provide. Citizens will cast their vote by public post. If a Bill is not returned to the Senate by the President within seven days after it shall have been presented to him, it shall become Law regardless."

5. Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

6. Article I, Section 4, Clause 2 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Elections for the seats of the Senate shall be held in the months of February, June and October."

7. Article I, Section 4, Clause 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "If a vacancy shall occur in a Senate seat, then the Governor of that Region shall appoint a person to fill the remainder of that term."

8. Article I, Section 4, Clause 5 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

9. Article II, Section I, Clause 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall be elected for a term of approximately four months."

10. Article II, Section I, Clause 2 of the Constitution is amended to read: "No person shall be President who has not attained 250 or more posts, and is not a registered voter."

11. Article II, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution is amended to read: "The President shall take office at noon Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday in the month after their election."

12. Article II, Section 3 is hereby renamed: "Vacancy and Incapacity of the Presidency"

13. Article II, Section 3, Clause 1 of the Constitution is amended to read: "If the Presidency shall ever fall vacant, the President of the Senate shall become President. If the Presidency of the Senate is also vacant, then the Senate shall elect one of its members as President of the Senate to fill the office of the President of the Republic of Atlasia. The Senate shall provide for a special election to the presidency within one month of the office's vacancy."

14. Article II, Section 3, Clause 2 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

15. Article II, Section 3, Clause 3 of the Constitution is amended to read: "No person shall be elected to the office of President more than twice consecutively."

16. Article II, Section 3, Clause 4 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Whenever the President transmits to the Senate his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the President of the Senate as Acting President."

17. Article II, Section 3, Clause 5 of the Constitution is amended to read: "Whenever the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia and a two-thirds majority of the Senate sign a declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the President of the Senate shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President. Thereafter the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office upon his declaration that he is capable of discharging the said powers and duties, or when the Chief Justice and Senate annul their previous declaration."

18. All Amendments and Statutes currently governing the office of the Vice President are hereby void insofar as they relate to that office.

19. All Amendments and Statutes currently governing the office of the President pro tempore are amended to replace all instances of "President pro tempore" with "President of the Senate."

I will answer current questions in the next post.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »

The thinks that Franzl pointed out in essense lol.  I like the idea of referendums but not so much of decreasing the senate to simply 5 regional seats, I believe it unbalances the game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »

The thinks that Franzl pointed out in essense lol.  I like the idea of referendums but not so much of decreasing the senate to simply 5 regional seats, I believe it unbalances the game.

That is why I tried to give the President some added powers. I know a lot is made of the number of representatives for both the regions and the national government, but really it is all about the power each level possesses.

Really both the regions and the federal give up something in this package, but it gives more power and influence to the people. I would hope that the Senate could agree to at least send this Amendment to the people.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Something else I just noticed...why are you proposing to give the PPT/Premier of the Senate so much influence?

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »

Something else I just noticed...why are you proposing to give the PPT/Premier of the Senate so much influence?

The point is to create a dual-responsibility for Senators: to the Senate and to the people. By making the Senate pick its Premier, it forces more compromise between members, possibly some log-rolling to pass agendas. It simply takes a bite out of partisan blockage of legislation, instead forcing more collaboration.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »

The point is to create a dual-responsibility for Senators: to the Senate and to the people. By making the Senate pick its Premier, it forces more compromise between members, possibly some log-rolling to pass agendas. It simply takes a bite out of partisan blockage of legislation, instead forcing more collaboration.

I still don't see the point in allowing the Premier to force a 2/3 majority simply because he doesn't personally approve. I think all senators should be equal in that regard, and we're not doing the voters a favor if we allow someone like the Premier that they've never directly voted on to assume that kind of role.

And of course I've still got problems with the reduction of seats...and the whole referendum idea...meh...I don't think it should really be combined with our representative form of government for simple laws and resolutions. I'd say it makes more sense as is currently with constitutional amendments.

At this point, at least, I must respectfully urge senators to oppose this amendment. But thanks for your effort PurpleState, and I really do mean that. This game depends on a few dedicated people that take the time to create and debate legislation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »

I still don't see the point in allowing the Premier to force a 2/3 majority simply because he doesn't personally approve. I think all senators should be equal in that regard, and we're not doing the voters a favor if we allow someone like the Premier that they've never directly voted on to assume that kind of role.

And of course I've still got problems with the reduction of seats...and the whole referendum idea...meh...I don't think it should really be combined with our representative form of government for simple laws and resolutions. I'd say it makes more sense as is currently with constitutional amendments.

At this point, at least, I must respectfully urge senators to oppose this amendment. But thanks for your effort PurpleState, and I really do mean that. This game depends on a few dedicated people that take the time to create and debate legislation.

I thank you for the good word. Don't worry, I don't take any of it to heart.

I will still ask the senators to consider the state of Atlasia today and at least send this to the people to decide how they would best like to be governed. No system is perfect, but implementing such a process would be still preferable to what we have now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies