norm coleman 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:39:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  norm coleman 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: norm coleman 2012  (Read 4957 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »

LOL. Thanks for a great post-work laugh.

This first sums up my thoughts:

Right...  because nothing says victory like nominating the guy who lost to a bodybuilder from the movie Predator and Stewart Smalley!

Coleman is going to have a tough time saying "I lost to Al Franken so nominate me for President"

It would be more than a stretch to think someone who can't beat Al Franken can beat Obama.

but is it unrealistic to see him winning every mccain state + va + nc + oh + fl (lots of snowbirds there that would love his brooklyn accent) + ia?

Oh yes, that's exactly the main thing people vote on, accent, not issues or anything. Roll Eyes

For the rest, I don't see why he would play any better than a generic Republican, and for Iowa he'd do horribly. If we assume Iowa is like rural Minnesota, look at how Coleman ran out there. He ran further behind McCain than Franken did behind Obama in many places. Look at Aitkin and Pine counties. Both were very narrow for Obama with under 50% (Aitkin only by 6 votes.) but voted for Franken. The reason is obviously that Obama voters were more partisan and stuck with Franken while many McCain voters jumped to Barkley. Coleman has hardly any appeal to Iowa.

I actually was thinking about this, maybe if he runs for governor in '10

God yes, I would love for the GOP candidate in 2010 to be someone with net 20 disapprovals!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:35:03 AM »

george bush (both of them) lost election(s).  bill clinton lost an election. richard nixon lost elections. lbj lost an election.  fdr lost elections.

True.  However, none of them lost an election to Al Franken.

And what did Bill Clinton lose?

1974 race for congress.  and 1980 reelection for governor.

Neither of which was against Al Franken.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:05:23 AM »

Dayton at his worst was like -5, nothing compared to Coleman. He also would've won reelection had he ran in 2006, unlike Coleman. It's moot though, he's very unlikely to be the nominee.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »

Of course Walter trolls (See: Any post about Obama from January to roughly September 2008), but he has a tendency to be insanely delusional about this sort of thing and throw out people with no chance just for the sake of thinking "outside the box". Remember his Mark Warner as Obama's running mate fetish?

I'm not sure if he is that delusional, or if it's an attempt to be an "Open Minded Hero" in the tradition of constine's Moderate Heroism, but whatever the case he's probably sincere in some way. He should just look at his track record of predictions, especially his out on a limb ones.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »

Of course Walter trolls (See: Any post about Obama from January to roughly September 2008), but he has a tendency to be insanely delusional about this sort of thing and throw out people with no chance just for the sake of thinking "outside the box". Remember his Mark Warner as Obama's running mate fetish?

I'm not sure if he is that delusional, or if it's an attempt to be an "Open Minded Hero" in the tradition of constine's Moderate Heroism, but whatever the case he's probably sincere in some way. He should just look at his track record of predictions, especially his out on a limb ones.

mark warner would have made an excellent running mate.

Yeah, I mean Obama could've won Virginia with him. Oh wait...

That's not the point though, the point isn't if you think he would've been good, it's that you kept insisting he'd drop out of the Senate race and be chosen despite the hordes of evidence to the contrary and basically said Obama would lose if he picked anyone else.

He has potential, but we need someone with loads of cash. He could possibly be Mitt Romney's VP. They could pull in both Michigan and possibly Minnesota, and if Obama's approval ratings aren't that high, those 27ish(Electroral #'s will change) votes would make a huge difference.

Right because Coleman is so insanely popular here he got 42% of the vote and lost to Al Franken. And Romney is clearly so insanely popular in Michigan because his father was Governor 40 years ago and maybe 10% of the state can remember, and because he got about 7% of the votes cast overall in the state in a primary with a good chunk of that coming from malicious crossover Democrats.

You got a lot to learn kid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies