which posters, outside of benconstine, are the most prototypical Moderate Heroes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:37:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  which posters, outside of benconstine, are the most prototypical Moderate Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: which posters, outside of benconstine, are the most prototypical Moderate Heroes  (Read 5150 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »

He never really gave much of a reason for supposedly voting for McCain either.

Religion though is mainly where his Moderate Heroism lies, see his vigorous defense of religions that would condemn him to hell from attacks by me, who would not condemn him to hell. Unsurprisingly, Benconstine was rather similar, he effectively believed at one point that the Catholic Church condemned all non-Catholics (or at least all non-Christians) to Hell and said he believed they did hold that baptism was absolutely essential for salvation (thus effectively condemning him to Hell), but defended them from my attacks.

That's Moderate Heroism people. If a religion says you're going to Hell, you shouldn't be showing them an iota of reverence or respect.

plenty of people, myself included, interpret Scripture as promising damnation for non-believers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »

alcon's such a douchebag

gettim' guys!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

He never really gave much of a reason for supposedly voting for McCain either.

Religion though is mainly where his Moderate Heroism lies, see his vigorous defense of religions that would condemn him to hell from attacks by me, who would not condemn him to hell. Unsurprisingly, Benconstine was rather similar, he effectively believed at one point that the Catholic Church condemned all non-Catholics (or at least all non-Christians) to Hell and said he believed they did hold that baptism was absolutely essential for salvation (thus effectively condemning him to Hell), but defended them from my attacks.

That's Moderate Heroism people. If a religion says you're going to Hell, you shouldn't be showing them an iota of reverence or respect.

plenty of people, myself included, interpret Scripture as promising damnation for non-believers.

Yeah, but you're anti-religion. That's the point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »

alcon's such a douchebag

gettim' guys!

LOL.   Anyone who thinks they are going to lay a glove effectively on Alcon needs to get out more. The man can take care of himself! 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

alcon's such a douchebag

gettim' guys!

You really aren't helping the theory that you're actually Alcon...

It would make sense, too. Alcon's act got old and so he felt the need to bring back one of his other accounts to be Mr. Popular again. That or you're defending someone who probably despises you for stealing his spotlight.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:41 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2009, 10:52:34 PM by Alcon »

Alcon is a Moderate Hero to a hilarious degree.

maybe it's just me, but I seemed to notice that there was a correlation between Alcon's presidential preference and how well said preference was doing in the polls.

I wouldn't be surprised.  I think I was weighting my own personal bias toward the Democrats and unwittingly became sensitive to how well a candidate was doing.  What can I say?  It wasn't a concerted effort to appeal centristy, really, just because I'm young and trying to figure out my own innate biases and prejudices, and how they effect the way I interpret political information.

And I don't think I spent much time giving a justification for voting for Obama, either...but, like I said, I'm innately more sympathetic toward Democrats.  Everyone I know is a Democrat.  It has its impacts.  I own up to this

btw, moderate hero or otherwise, I'm not Lunar
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 11:57:49 PM »

Alcon is a Moderate Hero to a hilarious degree.

maybe it's just me, but I seemed to notice that there was a correlation between Alcon's presidential preference and how well said preference was doing in the polls.

I wouldn't be surprised.  I think I was weighting my own personal bias toward the Democrats and unwittingly became sensitive to how well a candidate was doing.  What can I say?  It wasn't a concerted effort to appeal centristy, really, just because I'm young and trying to figure out my own innate biases and prejudices, and how they effect the way I interpret political information.

And I don't think I spent much time giving a justification for voting for Obama, either...but, like I said, I'm innately more sympathetic toward Democrats.  Everyone I know is a Democrat.  It has its impacts.  I own up to this

btw, moderate hero or otherwise, I'm not Lunar

So why are you such a religious moderate hero defending people who would condemn you to Hell when attacked by me who is far more tolerant toward you and non-believers?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »

That becomes instinct after a while with you, BRTD. If you're overly exuberant and up in arms over something it's usually safe to assume the other position is the less insane one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »

That becomes instinct after a while with you, BRTD. If you're overly exuberant and up in arms over something it's usually safe to assume the other position is the less insane one.

Please note the banner below your avatar. Clearly this does not always apply.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 05:00:04 AM »

lol
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2009, 08:01:42 AM by Alcon »

I had a long post up.  But instead, I just encourage anyone interested my (unanswered) post to BRTD, here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=93898.msg1948172#msg1948172

BRTD, they can judge for themselves if it's "moderate heroism," or a valid complaint about your debating style and logic.  They can judge whether I'm attacking you because I just hate liberal Protestants that dern much, or because you use emotive, regressive, irrational thought under the flag of intellectual Enlightenment superiority.  I'm not sure attacking you for that is Moderate Hero-y thing to do.  If it is, sooo nailed!  Either way, I do rather think my criticisms still stand unaddressed.

As much as I hate to put meaning over memes, maybe this will even encourage you to actually respond.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

I might once I have more time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

So why are you such a religious moderate hero defending people who would condemn you to Hell when attacked by me who is far more tolerant toward you and non-believers?

That's so stupid, dude. It's like when Harry gets on my case for defending the social views of Evangelicals. Even though I agree with them, I'm apparently supposed to say that they deserve unfair criticism just because they think I'm horrible (as a Catholic).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2009, 07:37:46 PM by That kind of icy blue smile »

The problem with that is Harry basically still thinks it's 1928 in regards to Protestant view of Catholics. Most don't think you're horrible or have a problem. Did you ever hear anyone screaming about how Rick Santorum is a filthy papist? You shouldn't be defending the people who do attack you like Hagee.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »

The problem with that is Harry basically still thinks it's 1928 in regards to Protestant view of Catholics. Most don't think you're horrible or have a problem. You shouldn't be defending the people who do attack you like Hagee.

That's exactly what Harry is talking about. I don't defend those types personally but it's absolute bullshit that I shouldn't defend them when we agree on things. This idea that I shouldn't even be in agreement with someone like Hagee on any issue just because he hates Catholics is so laughable.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »

I feel my point didn't quite take, so I will repeat it in capital letters: "LOL"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »

Ideology-wise I wouldn't say he's one, but he tends to be in political analysis. Especially as far as affirmative action goes in appointments.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies