Alexi Giannoulias looking into primarying Burris
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:40:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alexi Giannoulias looking into primarying Burris
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alexi Giannoulias looking into primarying Burris  (Read 1101 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2009, 04:32:15 PM by Lunar »

If you remember right, I cited Giannoulias as the best choice for Blago ages ago, but I didn't realize Blago was insane at the time.  I mentally swooned when I read this, nothing could work out more perfectly.  Remember Obama bucked his own state Party to endorse and aggressively campaign for Alexi during his run for treasurer.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0109/Burris_could_be_challenged_by_Obama_ally.html

One of President Obama’s close friends and basketball buddies is considering a campaign against Sen. Roland Burris (D-Ill.) in the Democratic primary.

Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias is holding conversations with leading Illinois Democrats in preparation for a possible candidacy, according to a Democratic operative familiar with his decision-making process.

“He’s been talking to a lot of Democrats in Illinois who believe that this seat is gone is if Burris is the nominee. If it’s Mark Kirk or a rich Republican, we’ve got to hold this seat. That’s enough to encourage him to take a very serious look,” said the operative.

At 32, Giannoulias has been on the fast track in Illinois politics since leaving his job as a bank vice president to run for state treasurer in 2006. Inspired by Obama’s Senate campaign, he ran against the Democratic candidate backed by the party establishment and, aided by Obama’s endorsement, prevailed.

He considers Obama to be his political mentor and was a frequent participant at Obama’s pickup basketball games during the presidential primary. (He played professional basketball in Greece.)

A Giannoulias candidacy would put Obama in a difficult position. Would he endorse the incumbent, the only African-American in the Senate? Would he support his close friend? Or would he stay out of the race completely?

“He’s not looking for permission or smoke signals from the president,” the operative said. “But if the president felt strongly that he not run, that opinion would get heard.”

Giannoulias would be able to partially self-finance campaign, a significant asset. Burris has to begin raising money from scratch, and it’s unclear how much money he can raise if he wants to run for election.

Burris’ seating has been shrouded in controversy since scandal-plagued Gov. Rod Blagojevich appointed him to the Senate, and he is seen as highly vulnerable if he runs for re-election. But if Burris runs for election against Giannoulias in 2010, a primary challenge could quickly divide along racial lines.

Other Democratic candidates previously mulling a Senate campaign are not likely to run against Burris. State Comptroller Dan Hynes isn’t expected to run, and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) may not want to give up a safe House seat to run in a competitive primary.

Giannoulias had previously been rumored to be more interested in the governor’s race, and there was speculation that he would challenge Attorney General Lisa Madigan in a competitive primary.

The operative said that he is still considering all options – including running for re-election as treasurer – but is now leaning towards running for the Senate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

Rich Miller, the God of Illinois political reporting said this a couple weeks ago:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/miller/1368945,CST-EDT-miller09.article
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

I could see a scenario where Madigan runs for Gov, Alexi for Senate, and Dan Hynes for Attorney General. 

Remember that Burris will almost certainly have limited fundraising abilities and energy (he's 71), and he has a meek personality.  I could see Burris announcing he won't seek [re-]election.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »

So Obama would endorse Giannoulias, right? All unpredictable variables aside, he could probably swing the black vote from say Burris or Jackson Jr to whoever he wishes to endorse.

I'm not so sure Burris won't run, or that he has a meek personality. Remember that he has that tombstone with all of his life achievements already engraved on it. He didn't have a problem fighting for that Senate appointment amidst heavy public opposition.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »

Well, I wasn't saying he doesn't have a large ego. He's certainly used to losing races.  By "meek" I meant his personality might not connect with voters in a bruising primary.

I don't know if Obama should be endorsing old buddies to knock off the one black Senator though.  He might not publicly endorse Alexi but some of Obama's old staff might join Alexi's campaign and Obama may choose to endorse noone, making it obvious where he stands.  It'll be obvious where he stands because Alexi would never run without Obama's approval first.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:53:53 AM »

Well, I wasn't saying he doesn't have a large ego. He's certainly used to losing races.  By "meek" I meant his personality might not connect with voters in a bruising primary.

I don't know if Obama should be endorsing old buddies to knock off the one black Senator though.  He might not publicly endorse Alexi but some of Obama's old staff might join Alexi's campaign and Obama may choose to endorse noone, making it obvious where he stands.  It'll be obvious where he stands because Alexi would never run without Obama's approval first.

Ahh, misinterpretation. Judging from his electoral history Burris really has no touch with voters, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he decides that his incumbency will give him that advantage he needs to win the primary - judging from his interviews, I've got a low opinion of his self-awareness.

And I thought of it for a bit, and yeah it would be poor form for the sitting President to publicly pick sides for a bruising interparty primary. (Plus that's not his style anyway) Your scenario sounds like the most likely - that a bunch of Obama's former staffers join Alexi's campaign so that it's clear who he prefers, but it's a badly kept secret instead of being official.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies