Post something you admire about the previous poster. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:44:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Post something you admire about the previous poster. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Post something you admire about the previous poster.  (Read 44106 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: January 22, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »

Given all the threads along the lines of "Post something blatantly false about the previous poster" (which is still being used in a positive manner), I thought it might be worthwhile to let other forum members know what we think about them.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »

Hashemite, you have an incredible knowledge of French election history and demographics.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »

The two Prime Ministers of whom his username refers were both two of my favourites. If his views are somewhat akin to them, he is most likely a good man.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »

He's a religious conservative who isn't a judgmental jackass, a too-rare combination (I don't know when "jackass" became my favorite insult, but it is).  He's a man of taste, sophistication, and letters.

Thank you, sir. I also consider you a man of taste, sophisitication and letters. I enjoy conversing with you because you are so civil and your words are elegant. I think that writing is an art form and that language should bring the same enjoyment as a painting or piece of beautiful music - and I think that you have the capability to be a master of your craft.

I see in you many aspects I would like to see in myself, and hope that I display - such as tolerance and compassion for others, a willingness to see the validity of a contrary opinion without feeling compelled to agree with it, and to respect those who disagree without questioning their motivation. Additionally, I believe we share similar tastes and if I ever were in the US, I would certainly hope to catch up with him in person (likewise if he were ever in Australia).

You always invoke in me one of those Regency Era gentleman politicians, who held learning and culture in high esteem and I value your friendship on this Forum.

*skip*
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:43:12 AM »

The original Happy Warrior, HHH, was a really great person who genuinely cared for others. I think this idea can be projected on this poster since often one's role models influence one's opinions.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:50 AM »

He likes Australians! Smiley No joke, I actually find this to be an admirable quality!

I also think he's intellectual in a good way - not snobbish, but smart and able to form opinions, hold to his opinions and explain his opinions.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:30:38 AM »

He's a great guy, provides an international perspective - and I've been waiting for him to go into the signature thread - I REALLY LOVE THAT SIGNATURE! I don't know why, but it just seems so, I don't know... but it captures my imagination and I really like it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »

He's OK with me cancellling tomorrow night?

Sure! How was the march, etc, today? I'd been looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow night, but if you can't make it, that's okay. I think you're returning to Canberra soon but let me know when you're in Melbourne next.

Hugh has a keen sense of fairness when it comes to his abhorrant distaste of gerrymandering.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:49 AM »

The first descriptor in his signature sumarises him pretty well - "independent thinker." It seems to me that he reaches his political positions by carefully thinking about the issue and determining the best course of action. He isn't an idealist, he isn't a realist - he sits comfortably between those two extremes, basing his opinions equally on ideology and a pragmatic realisation of what is possible.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »

GM3 has always struck me as a particularly unbiased commentator on this forum. I value the opinions for this reason.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »

I really admire Paul's writing style in his posts. He strikes me as being quite eloquent.

Something else that I was just thinking about... I have never known him to be post-padding, and yet since he joined the Forum just before the election, he's managed to clock up almost as many posts as me - and in the serious boards of the Forum, he's not just wandering around the Forum Community board or posting one line comments. He can think, he can elocute, and he does both in an examplary manner.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

Hugh is a really great person to talk to. Very easy to hold conversation with him.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »

Well, it's been over a year since this thread was last posted in, so I thought it might be time to revive it.

Ben's a great guy who has really matured over the past two and a half years or so that I've known him.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »

He seems quite bright and is one of my preferred new members.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:00:19 PM »

That he's one of the easiest people on here to write something nice about - because there's so much! For now I'll also go with that he really cares about people less fortunate than he is.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »

phknrocket1k is extremely smart and really knows what he's talking about in the field of economics. I'm envious of his knowledge!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 12:24:34 AM »

He seems to try to get along with people, which always makes for a civil forum.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »

Roch is gone, so I'll go back to Mechaman.

I admire his commitment to personal freedom.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »

Antonio, like many foreign posters on here, is very smart. His insights into European politics are helpful in understanding current events. Although I'm closer to some other posters on here, I'd be sad if he stopped posting as I'd miss his contributions. He speaks English better than many native speakers.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »

The strength and passion he has for his beliefs.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:03 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 02:47:53 AM by Smid »

I don't know him particularly well, but he's always treated me with respect.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »

A young who trends to be able to hold his own when debating.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies