The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 405 406 407 [408] 409 410
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1206366 times)
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10175 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

If Romney doesn't show at least a 3point bounce out of the debate then I feel this election is well over with. I mean come on. More than 67 million americans watch the debate and you destroyed Obama at the debate and the best you can do is less than 3 points? I may be too premature here. But after what I saw, I was ready to see huge jumps. Why isn't it happening? What is going on here? On CNN poll of undecided colorado voters, they overwhelmingly gave the win to Romney. Yet when asked who had made up their minds, 8 went for Romney and 8 went for Obama. This is crazy. Now the expectations are set that Romney will win the next debate, if Obama comes swinging, we will be back where we were at, a lead for Obama by 2%.

This electorate is so polarized. If by next week, Obama still leading, the pundits at Fox will be having a major fit.
Nah man.  They never showed the people choose - Erin Burnett just said it and you're supposed to believe it.  When is a focus group not expected to share who they're voting for prior to being chosen.  It doesn't make for good tv.  I'm guessing that the results were so bad that Burnett just made it up.  She kind of hesitated when saying it and it looked like she was lying.  Her excuse was that I promised that I wouldn't make them share on TV.  What network does that prior to a focus group?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #10176 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »

The most effective thing Mittens said in my mind, with the voters who will decide the election, is that he worked for bipartisan consensus with Romneycare, and Obama didn't with Obamacare, and that approach can bear poison fruit.

No argument with the criticism that Obama didn't reach across the aisle enough on ACA.  Mitt's first debate strategy was excellent, and knocked Obama off his game entirely, regardless of content issues.  But, if memory serves, Mitt as governor was dealing with a massively Democratic state legislature, so anything that became law while he was in the big chair there had to be bipartisan.  The dynamic of DC politics is going to look a lot different with a Pub House and a Senate that has a narrow majority either way and is still very filibusterable.  If he wins, I don't think it will take long before we hear the Romney White House complaining loudly about Dem obstructionism and resorting to some occasionally unseemly dealmaking.  It's the bad place.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10177 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:04 AM »

The Senate may not be able to filibuster.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/186133-reid-triggers-nuclear-option-to-change-senate-rules-and-prohibit-post-cloture-filibusters
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10178 on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 50%, u.

Disapprove 49%, +1.

"Strongly Approve" is at 28%, -1.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at  41%, +1.

Head to head is at 49/47 Romney/Obama (+2/-2).

The numbers include 2/3 of a sample taken after the debate and 1/3 after the job numbers.  It might very well be ephemeral.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10179 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 08:50:58 AM by Former President Polnut »

I'm not putting any judgement on it, but I find it interesting that you have 4% swing in 24-48 hours, yet Obama's approval remains at 50...

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10180 on: October 06, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »

Obama's not going to lose if his approval is at 50%. Especially against someone like Mitt Romney.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10181 on: October 06, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

Obama's not going to lose if his approval is at 50%. Especially against someone like Mitt Romney.

Well, we have seen something more pronounced on Gallup.  It might indicate shifting attitudes, or even a sense that Romney might be a better president.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10182 on: October 06, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »

Well, they could do that.  But changing the senate rules cuts both ways.  What long term good does repealing Obamacare do for Republicans if the next Democratic president can just enroll the entire country in Medicare with a one vote majority?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #10183 on: October 06, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »

That just restricted certain kinds of procedural votes after a cloture motion has been passed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10184 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

Yes, but you can set up the situation where you can get those kind of procedural votes.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10185 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

Gallup

Approve 50% (+2)
Disapprove 45% (+2)

I would not be too surprised if there was an overly pro-Obama sample that would be still in there.  I would not be too concerned about a big drop tomorrow, if it happens.

Head to 49/46 Obama.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10186 on: October 06, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

Yes, but you can set up the situation where you can get those kind of procedural votes.

Again, the threat of retribution is too high.  They know that if they did that, the next Dem would be vindictive enough to ram through single payer and the Eisenhower tax brackets to pay for it. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10187 on: October 06, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

Again, the threat of retribution is too high.  They know that if they did that, the next Dem would be vindictive enough to ram through single payer and the Eisenhower tax brackets to pay for it. 

Only the electorate could prevent it.  I'm tempted to say, "Bring it on."
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10188 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:18 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 02:28:52 AM by Politico »

Again, the threat of retribution is too high.  They know that if they did that, the next Dem would be vindictive enough to ram through single payer and the Eisenhower tax brackets to pay for it.  

Dream on. There isn't going to be another liberal in the White House for yet another generation. It took 28 years to go from Carter to Obama. It will take another 28 years, at the least, before America turns to another liberal.

Please run a liberal against Mitt in 2016. We, as in those of us who despise modern economic "liberalism" (AKA "trickle-down government"), would love to defeat a liberal in a landslide again.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10189 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »

Approve 50%, u.

Disapprove 49%, u.

"Strongly Approve" is at 29%, +1.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at  42%, +1.

Head to head is at 49/47 Romney/Obama (u).

The numbers include  a sample taken after the debate and 2/3 after the job numbers.  It might very well be ephemeral.

LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #10190 on: October 07, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »

Approve 50%, u.

Disapprove 49%, u.

"Strongly Approve" is at 29%, +1.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at  42%, +1.

Head to head is at 49/47 Romney/Obama (u).

The numbers include  a sample taken after the debate and 2/3 after the job numbers.  It might very well be ephemeral.

Makes no sense that Romney is ahead Obama when his approval is at 50.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10191 on: October 07, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

Gallup

Approve 48% (-2)
Disapprove 46% (+1)

Head to 49/46 Obama, unchanged.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10192 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »

Again, the threat of retribution is too high.  They know that if they did that, the next Dem would be vindictive enough to ram through single payer and the Eisenhower tax brackets to pay for it.  

Dream on. There isn't going to be another liberal in the White House for yet another generation. It took 28 years to go from Carter to Obama. It will take another 28 years, at the least, before America turns to another liberal.

Please run a liberal against Mitt in 2016. We, as in those of us who despise modern economic "liberalism" (AKA "trickle-down government"), would love to defeat a liberal in a landslide again.

First, of all, if Carter was so darn liberal, why did Ted Kennedy primary him?

Second, that's all predicated on the economy of 2016 being better than today's.  Sometime soon, Germany will decide it's had enough and call off the Euro.  There's really nothing any American can do about it, and I would be shocked if they held out past 2016.  When that happens, the fallout could make the economy of 2012 look like 1998.  People on either side could very well be left wishing they had lost this election.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10193 on: October 07, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 05:24:40 PM by Politico »

First, of all, if Carter was so darn liberal, why did Ted Kennedy primary him?

A number of reasons. One, social issues. Kennedy was much more liberal on the social front (He was talking about gay marriage with San Francisco liberals before AIDS came on the scene). Two, Carter was making liberalism look bad on the economic front (high inflation, stagflation, talking about "crisis of confidence," and so forth). More than anything, though, Ted Kennedy wanted to be president and Washington Democrats did not like Carter's inability to be chummy with them. Carter was an outsider, and Teddy was the ultimate insider who felt entitled to the presidency.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While the world may be facing a downturn soon, America is insulated from the Euro contagion more so than any other large nation on the planet. I eagerly welcome the death of the Euro, something I have wanted for years, because it ends the threat to our preeminence as the world's reserve currency (Unless Obama hands China the ammunition to eventually destroy our currency, of course). Almost nobody quite understands how big of a deal it is having the greenback as the world's reserve currency.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #10194 on: October 07, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »

You know that if the Euro collapses, your dollar collapses too, right?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10195 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

American debt will probably crash the USD much sooner.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10196 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 08:11:48 PM by Politico »

You know that if the Euro collapses, your dollar collapses too, right?

The collapse of the Euro would increase demand for the greenback, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Ultimately, the Eurocrats will probably find a way to convert away from the Euro and back onto single currencies while keeping the other aspects of the EU intact. The only thing that will change is the end of the monetary union. The Eurocrats will find a way to reverse the adoption of the Euro, or they are really screwed. I have faith in Germany's ability to solve this conundrum without severe ramifications abroad. Obviously Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy are in trouble, but I am confident that the contagion will be largely restricted to the weaker, irresponsible areas of Europe.

If things get really bad, obviously people will seek shelter. All else equal, people will choose the safest part of the world, which will be North America (i.e., USA and Canada). All else equal, people will be especially interested in having the world's reserve currency (i.e., USD).

But, by all means, defend Europe instead of America. I would expect no less from a liberal. Just don't forget what was sewed in Osama Bin Laden's jacket, and what denomination Saddam Hussein wanted to trade Iraqi oil in...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10197 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »

Approve 51%, +1.

Disapprove 49%, u.

"Strongly Approve" is at 29%, u.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at  40%, -2.

Head to head is at 48/48 Romney/Obama (-1/+1).

Sample includes all numbers after debate and jobs report.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10198 on: October 08, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »

Approve 51%, +3.

Disapprove 44%, -2.

Head to head is at 50/45 Obama/Romney (+1/-1).

The bounce truly was ephemeral.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10199 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »

Yeah, it looks like Mitt has peaked.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 405 406 407 [408] 409 410  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies