Gillibrand or McCarthy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:11:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gillibrand or McCarthy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will you/would you support?
Kirsten Gillibrand

Carolyn McCarthy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Gillibrand or McCarthy?  (Read 4538 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

Assuming Gillibrand leans left as I believe she will, I will be throwing my full support behind her. I will probably campaign for her. McCarthy is far too militant about her positions and completely unwilling to even give Gillibrand a chance to prove herself. I have no interest in that kind of disregard for NYers, sacrificing the image of our Senator to further her own ambitions.

McCarthy has stated she would rather someone younger challenge Gillibrand instead, but if no one else did then she would jump in.  As far as not letting Gillibrand prove herself, well perhaps she should, but McCarthy is basing it off of Gillibrand's record in the House, her A NRA rating, that bill she co-sponsored in the House, which past the House, but died in the Senate. 

We will see what happens with Gillibrand's record in the Senate, and if she does move left I will likely support her.  However, I do see where McCarthy is coming from, considerng Gillibrand's overall voting record, especially on an iaaue that is very important to McCarthy with what happened to her husband and son.

I definitely agree that if she doesn't moderate her views she should be primaried, but to assume that she won't is just completely dishonest. Any good politician (and hey, she got herself the Senate seat so she can't be that bad) would know how to play to their constituency. I expect no less from Gillibrand.

True, but at this point all we have to go off of is her record in the House, and based off that you can clearly understand why McCarthy and other liberals aren't happy.  We will see if she changes at all now that she is in the Senate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »

but at this point all we have to go off of is her record in the House

Yet if your future assumptions are based on that you'd still be retarded to do so
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 11:56:54 PM »

but at this point all we have to go off of is her record in the House

Yet if your future assumptions are based on that you'd still be retarded to do so

That might be the case, but the same can be said to just assume that she will suddenly become a liberal now that she is representing the state as a whole instead of a rural district.  We will what her record in the Senate is, but in judging her appointment its certainly fair to look at her record in the House.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »

I can see from the first page of this thread that the misogyny is ongoing around here.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »

LOL, McCarthy.  What a talentless one-note shill.

Predictably, she's running only cause of gun control!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:26 AM »

Gillibrand.
perdedor

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »

I'm not sure, to be honest. McCarthy, as of 2006, still supports the Iraq war and has said that she would oppose repealing the death penalty because voters in her district support it (which comes across as a lack of spine to me.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »

I'm not sure, to be honest. McCarthy, as of 2006, still supports the Iraq war and has said that she would oppose repealing the death penalty because voters in her district support it (which comes across as a lack of spine to me.

She has voted for a moratorium on the death penalty as well as satrting Iraq withdrawal within 90 days.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

If you support gun control, that's the best reason NOT to support McCarthy. All she has done is serve as a good fundraiser for the NRA and a way to chariacture and belittle gun control opponents. Once again, stuff like this does not do the cause of gun control any good:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
perdedor

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »

She has voted for a moratorium on the death penalty as well as satrting Iraq withdrawal within 90 days.

That doesn't mean that at one point she wasn't willing to sacrifice her values for political benefit.

In 2006, she voted in favor of the House resolution supporting Bush's policies in Iraq
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/16/AR2006061600572.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies