Gillibrand or McCarthy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:17:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gillibrand or McCarthy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will you/would you support?
Kirsten Gillibrand

Carolyn McCarthy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Gillibrand or McCarthy?  (Read 4540 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »

I lean towards my congresswoman (Gillibrand) but I'm keeping an open mind. She's going to have to flip on some issues. 2010 is going to be a very interesting year for New York politics.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »

Depends what Gillibrand does, if her voting record is along the lines of what it was in the House then I would likely support McCarthy, if it moves more in the direction of some of the stuff she has said today then I may support Gillibrand.  On the flip side of that is the possibility of another challenger which I believe is what McCarthy would rather.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »

McCarthy's not going to run.  She said outright she was only going to run if no one else younger than her (she's what, 67?) does.  Even if Gillibrand looks invincible, there will at least be two names on the ballot and she can endorse someone if she really wants to be a bat.  Also, Gillibrand has stated that she intends to work with McCarthy on her prized handgun bill and Gillibrand will likely not differ from Schumer in a single vote until 2013
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »

McCarthy just said that she is running on Hardball. Whether she runs or not in the end, she says she is in it for now.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

Oh definitely Kirsten.  Both NY Carolyns (especially McCarthey) are c**nts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »

If I had to have one as my Senator, my answer is beyond obvious. If we somehow had a chance at the seat, I'd cheer for the skinny Miss Piggy look alike in the primay.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

Nice language.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »

McCarthy will be a regular guest on cable television for the next two years as the most outspoken critic of the Gillibrand pick. Today McCarthy told NBC's Andrea Mitchell that the new senator would have to convince voters that she is "not the poster girl for the [National Rifle Association]." There is also talk that McCarthy will run in a primary against Gillibrand; that seems unlikely given her reputation as a less-than-aggressive fundraiser.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2009/01/gillibrand_the_pros_and_cons_o.html?hpid=topnews
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »

Why the hell does Chris Matthews keep referring to her as "Kristen Gillibrand from Upstate New York"?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »

Nice language.

Even I don't use that word.

I support Gillibrand, to answer the question.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »

Why the hell does Chris Matthews keep referring to her as "Kristen Gillibrand from Upstate New York"?

He's telling his audience why she was picked.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »

Carolyn is so Kirstenvious
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »

New word!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »

Gillibrand easily.

McCarthy's problem isn't just being so militant and ridiculous about gun control, but also idiotic and uninformed on it. Example:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:50:02 AM »

I like the Gillibrand nomination except for the gun control issue plus the fact she leaves a seat for a GOP takeover.  I might have selected Nita Lowey.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 05:39:42 AM »

I like the Gillibrand nomination except for the gun control issue plus the fact she leaves a seat for a GOP takeover.  I might have selected Nita Lowey.

I posted a while ago an analysis of  how the other GOP seats the Democrats would eliminate in 2010 would all endanger existing Democrats significantly.  While the GOP might gain a House seat for a couple years, that seat will almost certainly be eliminated unless the Democratic Chairman of Saratoga County or whatever proves to be an exceptional political star.

Gun control issues coming up, should there be any, in the coming years will not be "hunting" issues, expect Gilly to vote straight liberal Democrat on all gun bills.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

Gun control issues coming up, should there be any, in the coming years will not be "hunting" issues, expect Gilly to vote straight liberal Democrat on all gun bills.

What you're saying it's likely there's going to be a lot of gun control bills coming up? That the Democrats are going to bother to actually push for gun control?

Thanks for the laugh. Even if the Democrats honestly cared about gun control, they would also know that it's going nowhere in the rural Democrat-flled House.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »

Meh.  Nita Lowey.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »

obviously id support mccarthy.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »

I'd vote for McCarthy, but I have no problem with Gillibrand.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

why do democrats love gun nuts like gillibrand?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »

Obviously I supporter McCarthy over the House version of Gillibrand, although unlike McCarthy, I don't care much about gun-control.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »

Assuming Gillibrand leans left as I believe she will, I will be throwing my full support behind her. I will probably campaign for her. McCarthy is far too militant about her positions and completely unwilling to even give Gillibrand a chance to prove herself. I have no interest in that kind of disregard for NYers, sacrificing the image of our Senator to further her own ambitions.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »

Assuming Gillibrand leans left as I believe she will, I will be throwing my full support behind her. I will probably campaign for her. McCarthy is far too militant about her positions and completely unwilling to even give Gillibrand a chance to prove herself. I have no interest in that kind of disregard for NYers, sacrificing the image of our Senator to further her own ambitions.

McCarthy has stated she would rather someone younger challenge Gillibrand instead, but if no one else did then she would jump in.  As far as not letting Gillibrand prove herself, well perhaps she should, but McCarthy is basing it off of Gillibrand's record in the House, her A NRA rating, that bill she co-sponsored in the House, which past the House, but died in the Senate. 

We will see what happens with Gillibrand's record in the Senate, and if she does move left I will likely support her.  However, I do see where McCarthy is coming from, considerng Gillibrand's overall voting record, especially on an iaaue that is very important to McCarthy with what happened to her husband and son.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »

McCarthy has stated she would rather someone younger challenge Gillibrand instead, but if no one else did then she would jump in.  As far as not letting Gillibrand prove herself, well perhaps she should, but McCarthy is basing it off of Gillibrand's record in the House, her A NRA rating, that bill she co-sponsored in the House, which past the House, but died in the Senate. 

We will see what happens with Gillibrand's record in the Senate, and if she does move left I will likely support her.  However, I do see where McCarthy is coming from, considerng Gillibrand's overall voting record, especially on an iaaue that is very important to McCarthy with what happened to her husband and son.

I definitely agree that if she doesn't moderate her views she should be primaried, but to assume that she won't is just completely dishonest. Any good politician (and hey, she got herself the Senate seat so she can't be that bad) would know how to play to their constituency. I expect no less from Gillibrand.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies