Is everyone forgetting about Napolitano's successor, Jan Brewer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:33:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is everyone forgetting about Napolitano's successor, Jan Brewer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is everyone forgetting about Napolitano's successor, Jan Brewer?  (Read 1719 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »

She was inaugurated recently.  I'm baffled, though, that there has been such little discussion about Brewer's chances for reelection.

Let the discussion begin here.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:33:28 AM »

I even did a quick Google search, I can't find much. 

I think Brewer has yet to make a statement and her challengers have yet to declare, which is pretty damn odd.

I did forget about it, but even upon un-forgeting it, there's no information readily available.

Maybe later tonight I'll dig and dig until I can find out what's going on.  Phoenix politics sounds pretty boring though, so no promises.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:38:54 AM »

I would say that Jan Brewer has the advantage, based on how much she won her secretary of state race, especially with an incumbent of the other party at the top of the ticket garnering over 60% of the vote:

http://www.azsos.gov/results/2006/general/GEN-2010.htm

Whoa!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »

She's got to be the favorite, given that the only two Democrats with statewide appeal are AG Terry Goddard and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. Giffords will wait for an open Senate seat, and I don't know about Goddard.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »

Took me a moment to understand why the name registered at all. Then it clicked.
Arizona has a decent elections website. I've spent a lot of time on it on Navajo/AZ1-related business. Jan Brewer, like most elected American elections supervisors, took care to you reading her name and seeing her face a lot when you surf that page.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:35:48 PM »

This means that Republicans now tie in Mountain state Govenorships 4-4. In fact the states are split in half Western Mts states like Ariz, NV, UT, and ID have GOP Govs and Eastern Mts states MT, WY, CO, and NM have Dems. Still its a tremendous decline from 8 years ago when we held all 8.

Will Brewer be able to run for two full terms or does this count as her first term?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

This means that Republicans now tie in Mountain state Govenorships 4-4. In fact the states are split in half Western Mts states like Ariz, NV, UT, and ID have GOP Govs and Eastern Mts states MT, WY, CO, and NM have Dems. Still its a tremendous decline from 8 years ago when we held all 8.

Will Brewer be able to run for two full terms or does this count as her first term?

This is Arizona's term limits statute:

Section 1. A. The executive department shall consist of the governor, secretary of state,
state treasurer, attorney general, and superintendent of public instruction, each of whom
shall hold office for a term of four years beginning on the first Monday of January, 1971
next after the regular general election in 1970. No member of the executive department
shall hold that office for more than two consecutive terms. This limitation on the number
of terms of consecutive service shall apply to terms of office beginning on or after
January 1, 1993. No member of the executive department after serving the maximum
number of terms, which shall include any part of a term served, may serve in the same
office until out of office for no less than one full term.

My interpretation of that says 09-10 will count as her first term.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »

Giffords will wait for an open Senate seat

I don't know.  Depending on the conditions in 2012 she might decide to take on Kyl.  If Obama is looking like a lock for re-election and Arizona becomes a targeted state as many expect then Giffords might try to ride Obama's coattails into the Senate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:03:47 AM »

Kyl seems to want to stay in the Senate until he can be majority leader, while McCain probably will just be around forever until he crokes
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »

Majority leader?  Lol good luck with that.  I bet Napolitano will run for Kyl's seat in '12.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:18 AM »

Majority leader?  Lol good luck with that. 

Well, maybe not "majority leader" - I forgot that required being in the actual majority Tongue

But he's easily in the top 5 of GOP Senate leadership candidates, probably top 3

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »

Yeah he probably is, I don't disagree Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

We've seen how quickly the Senate can swing. Reps aren't retaking it 2010 - the numbers just aren't there - but 2014 is a very different story.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies