The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:04:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?  (Read 4972 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »

IF he wins, I see him as the perfect VP choice, but not as a contender for the nomination.

State Attorneys-General, like Congressional Representatives and large-city mayors, are as a rule two steps away (at the least) from the Presidency.

McDonnell could be showcased as a VP candidate in a losing bid for the Presidency (like Palin, but he couldn't be that much of a disaster) -- or he could win a Senate Seat or the Governorship before making a bid for the Presidency in 2016.

2012? One is betting on a catastrophic single term for Obama despite demographic trends that favor Democratic candidates in too much of the country. As someone else in this Forum says,

"The Republican Obama is long gone -- Ronald Reagan."

Forget the aspirations to be as great as FDR or Lincoln; Obama already shows Reagan-like political skills. Those and favorable demographics suggest a landslide reelection in themselves.  Whoever wins the Republican nomination for President in 2012 stands to be the new Walter Mondale.  But looking good while losing as the VP candidate can be good some later election. FDR was the flip side of the losing ticket of 1920, and look what his career became!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

I actually think McCain and Palin are good friends.

I would strongly doubt that. If they ever were friends, it would have been destroyed by the leaks and finger-pointing following the election.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »

I actually think McCain and Palin are good friends.

I would strongly doubt that. If they ever were friends, it would have been destroyed by the leaks and finger-pointing following the election.

Ah, I forgot 'bout the leaks.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies