Republicans Only: What should our Party be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans Only: What should our Party be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What should the Republican Party be?
A national, mainstream center-right coalition of conservatives, libertarians, and moderates that is dedicated to small but effective government, and recognizes that diversity is a strength

A party with a singular conservative, pure ideology that does not vary for regional concerns, does not recognize the diversity of our country, and seeks to "change reality" rather than study and adjust for real-world needs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Republicans Only: What should our Party be?  (Read 6025 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »

Perhaps I'm issuing an open invitation for Phil to berate me with more attacks, but I believe this is the fundamental question for Republicans.

We have entire movements within the Republican Party that are dedicated to purging those within the Party who disagree with them.

33% of Americans identify themselves as conservative, and this number has remained stable for years.  50% of Americans identify themselves as moderate.  With such a disparity in ideological self-identification, why would it make sense for the Republican Party to lampoon moderation (as Rush Limbaugh does all the time) and to systematically remove moderate Republican elected officials?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »

*cough* stupid thread *cough*
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »

Perhaps I'm issuing an open invitation for Phil to berate me with more attacks, but I believe this is the fundamental question for Republicans.

We have entire movements within the Republican Party that are dedicated to purging those within the Party who disagree with them.

33% of Americans identify themselves as conservative, and this number has remained stable for years.  50% of Americans identify themselves as moderate.  With such a disparity in ideological self-identification, why would it make sense for the Republican Party to lampoon moderation (as Rush Limbaugh does all the time) and to systematically remove moderate Republican elected officials?

Becuase the Republican Party's greatest victories were with politcans like Reagan, and that people will vote Republican in the future because of Reagan not because of a big tent party.

Really that's what alot of populist conservatives use when talking about a bigger tent party.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure most know my answer
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

When Don can't debate, he resorts to his usual rhetoric and total mischaracterization of most conservatives.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »

I don't think it is a clear cut choice between these two.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »

Libertarians and moderates with conservatives out of government.
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

Libertarians and moderates with conservatives out of government.

Idiot! Now they're gona shoot you.

Just so you guys know, if you take out one of ours--we're going after one of yours. =]
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:06 PM »

Well the phrasing of this question isn't biased at all... regardless, you know my answer, hopefully presented in a less self-aggrandizing way.

Becuase the Republican Party's greatest victories were with politcans like Reagan, and that people will vote Republican in the future because of Reagan not because of a big tent party.

Really that's what alot of populist conservatives use when talking about a bigger tent party.

This is a stupid argument. 58% of the country voted for Reagan in 1984 not because he was a "principled conservative", but because he was an inspiring leader and unifying figure who advocated common sense solutions to the problems of the day.

Similarly, 55% of the electorate voted against Republican House candidates in 2008 not because they were too moderate, but because the party has become a stubborn, divisive monolith which seems to think the only solutions to today's issues are making the Bush Tax Cuts permanent, waterboarding, and attempting to contact Ronald Reagan on the Ouija board.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »

Yeah, it's as fair and interesting as anything don has ever posted. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »

Similarly, 55% of the electorate voted against Republican House candidates in 2008 not because they were too moderate, but because the party has become a stubborn, divisive monolith which seems to think the only solutions to today's issues are making the Bush Tax Cuts permanent, waterboarding, and attempting to contact Ronald Reagan on the Ouija board.

Get real. People vote against this party these days for one major reason: George W. Bush

2008, like 2006, had very little to do with ideology.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Get real. People vote against this party these days for one major reason: George W. Bush

Yeah, it obviously wasn't the Bush tax cuts and waterboarding, it was all that stuff people associate with George W. Bush.Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »

Yeah, it obviously wasn't the Bush tax cuts and waterboarding, it was all that stuff people associate with George W. Bush.Wink

No, I really don't think it was those issues. I think people still like those tax cuts, my friend.
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

No, I really don't think it was those issues. I think people still like those tax cuts, my friend.

Especially those making more than a million dollars a year. They adore them
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »

Good for them. My middle class family certainly enjoyed it.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »

Not so much what the tax cuts are as what they have done and what they've failed to do...

They were sold as "recession insurance"... what?

Oh, and we have massive budget deficits...

Sure, the main issue is a lack of fiscal restraint, but while it's all well and good to rail against excess spending, the tax cuts, too, were a part of that irresponsibility.

But that's not the issue... I wasn't criticizing the tax cuts, I was criticizing the Republican Party for selling tax cuts as a cure-all for society's ills... also, it was kind of a joke.

I found it quite humorous... especially the bit about the Ouija board... nobody? Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:26 PM »

Good for them. My middle class family certainly enjoyed it.

Your middle class family would have had larger tax cuts under Gore.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:12:38 PM »

Option One Please.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »

I think people still like those tax cuts, my friend.

Our grandchildren will love them too, it will give them something to remember us by when they are slaving away in a Chinese-owned factory trying to pay off the debt we created.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »

Our grandchildren will love them too, it will give them something to remember us by when they are slaving away in a Chinese-owned factory trying to pay off the debt we created.

Don being critical of George W. Bush? I must be seeing things.

Anyway, I'm sure the tax cuts were the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to our grandchildren slaving away in a Chinese factory.  Roll Eyes
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »

I blame that on spending, rather than tax cuts. 
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:02 PM »

I blame that on spending, rather than tax cuts. 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 11:46:26 PM »

Anyway, I'm sure the tax cuts were the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to our grandchildren slaving away in a Chinese factory.  Roll Eyes

Tax cuts.  War.  Bailouts.  Earmarks.  Pork.  Entitlements.  All things for our grandchildren to ponder while they are learning Mandarin.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 12:07:06 AM »

Tax cuts.  War.  Bailouts.  Earmarks.  Pork.  Entitlements.  All things for our grandchildren to ponder while they are learning Mandarin.

All things that your hero wanted, by the way.  Wink

By the way, I opposed half of those things listed and so did most conservatives.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »

All things that your hero wanted, by the way.  Wink

By the way, I opposed half of those things listed and so did most conservatives.

so did Wayne Gilchrest Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies