Can you be Christian and Favor Death Penalty? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Can you be Christian and Favor Death Penalty? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Can you be Christian and Favor Death Penalty?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Can you be Christian and Favor Death Penalty?  (Read 8006 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: September 29, 2004, 10:32:05 AM »

You know, today I had an argument with a guy who tried to tell me that I can't be a Christian and be Pro-Choice.  I told him that I just have a fundamental belief that a fertilized egg does not have a soul.

I then asked him if he believes in the Death Penalty (he did).  I asked him how he can be Christian and favor the Death Penalty.  His response ... that's different.  So I ask, how so?  Isn't it a life?

Now personally, I do believe in the death penalty, but only in extreme cases.  Can I still be Christian if I believe in the death penalty?

Wakie, you are a Catholic, right.  Well...

2266 The State's effort to contain the spread of behaviors injurious to human rights and the fundamental rules of civil coexistence corresponds to the requirement of watching over the common good. Legitimate public authority has the right and duty to inflict penalties commensurate with the gravity of the crime. The primary scope of the penalty is to redress the disorder caused by the offense. When his punishment is voluntarily accepted by the offender, it takes on the value of expiation. Moreover, punishment, in addition to preserving public order and the safety of persons, has a medicinal scope: as far as possible it should contribute to the correction of the offender.[67]

2267 The traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude, presupposing full ascertainment of the identity and responsibility of the offender, recourse to the death penalty, when this is the only practicable way to defend the lives of human beings effectively against the aggressor.

This is from the official Catechism.  What say you to this?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 10:33:19 AM »

But the Bible also says,

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." - Matthew 7:1

Isn't taking someone's life away the ultimate of judgments?

No, the ultimate judgement would be condeming someone to Hell.  Such as the Liberals did when Reagan died.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 10:36:40 AM »

Yep, WHEN YOU ARE REPUBLICAN YOU CAN SAY ANYTHING AND DO ANYTHING TO CONFLICT YOUR ARGUMENT.

To what are you refering, exactly?  Don't just make a baseless, broad accusation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies