New Yorkers, do you like fusion voting, or even care about it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Yorkers, do you like fusion voting, or even care about it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Yorkers, do you like fusion voting, or even care about it?  (Read 2394 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »

I've read a little about fusion voting and it sounds pretty good to me, letting third parties endorse major party candidates, but allowing the voter to vote for the major party candidate on the ballot line of the third party.   Its certainly not a replacement for proportional representation or other third party friendly electoral reforms, but I like things that give the electorate more freedom.  I'm wondering what all the New Yorkers out there feel about it. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »

I'm not a New Yorker, but I think this policy is more harmful to third parties than helpful.  A small party that "fuses" itself with a large party has little motivation to differentiate itself from that larger party.  By doing this the smaller party essentially gives up its status as a party and simply becomes a member of the larger party's coalition.
rob in cal
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »

Yes, it seems to be the case that the Conservative party is basically an adjunct to GOP and Working Families to Dems.  But, if these parties don't like the major party nominee then they can run their own candidates, and do sometimes.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »

It's great.  I love it.  The more parties, the better, even if they support the same candidate as the 2 major parties.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »

Yes, it seems to be the case that the Conservative party is basically an adjunct to GOP and Working Families to Dems.  But, if these parties don't like the major party nominee then they can run their own candidates, and do sometimes.

True, and in NY you also have the Independence Party who isn't closely associated with either side, though they will typically endorse the incumbent.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »

South Carolina also has fusion, however candidates for the two major parties here will typically decline a third party endorsement, even if offered.  For instance, Obama could have easily picked up a couple of additional ballot lines, but rejected them to run as only a Democrat.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:18:01 AM »

I'm not a New Yorker, but for my part, I am jealous.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »

I like fusion parties in principle, but it did lead to the Liberal Party becoming a corrupt patronage racket and a caricature of a party. It's tough when voters are ill-informed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

It seems pretty neat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »

I liked it when I voted in New York.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »

I don't really care about it. It seems kind of pointless but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »

As a Republican who doesn't really support the aims of the Conservative Party of New York, my experiences have generally been negative...see, e.g. when Weld dropped out of the 2006 Gubernatorial primary after Faso got the Conservative nod.  I'd rather have our nominees decided by our own membership rather than those of another party, thank you very much...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

As a Republican who doesn't really support the aims of the Conservative Party of New York, my experiences have generally been negative...see, e.g. when Weld dropped out of the 2006 Gubernatorial primary after Faso got the Conservative nod.  I'd rather have our nominees decided by our own membership rather than those of another party, thank you very much...

The Conservative Party has hurt the New York State GOP, by forcing the state GOP to adapt to a more conservative platform similar to the national GOP, which is suicide in NY.   Of course the inept leadership of the state GOP chose to go along with it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »

The Conservative Party has hurt the New York State GOP, by forcing the state GOP to adapt to a more conservative platform similar to the national GOP, which is suicide in NY.   Of course the inept leadership of the state GOP chose to go along with it.

You guys are reminding me about one of the better aspects to it...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

You guys are reminding me about one of the better aspects to it...

Sure is.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »

I think IRV is a little bit more "honest" in a sense. A party has it's own candidates, but the minor parties can still determine results in some close races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies