Can anyone defend the Doc in the Cali octuplet dealy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:09:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can anyone defend the Doc in the Cali octuplet dealy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can anyone defend the Doc in the Cali octuplet dealy  (Read 2105 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:52:32 AM »

If you're under a rock pick one.  Single mom, healthy, 6 kids already, not rich.  SINGLE mom.  NOT rich.  LITTLE house.  And a medical profesional sticks 8 potential babies in her?  The selfishness of the adults involved in this is amazing.  Can anybody defend this?  I don't care what you do if you have the money to pay for it (but even this lady could pay for all of this, I'd still want her to seek mental help first as would any nomral OB/GYN), but if you're expecting the state or the media to pay for this then these peolpe are all kinds of selfish.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »

Is she a single mom or is it that her husband is in Iraq? I've heard both and the first three articles I picked off of Google didn't discuss it, so I'm not going to search further.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »

I heard her Dad just went to Iraq "to make more money" or something.  I've heard/read in several places that she was single.  Here's the wiki (with links to the locations where the info was gathered)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:49:07 AM »

Oh my God. I can't bear to read any more about this. What a f'ing train wreck.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »

There is no reason to have more than 2 kids.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »

Simple solution:

The woman should be put in jail and the kids should be given up for adoption or put in foster care.

Moreover, the doctors who allowed this to happen should all be put in jail and have their medical licenses revoked.

And I wonder why California's about to default and be completely ****ed.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »

Simple solution:

The woman should be put in jail and the kids should be given up for adoption or put in foster care.

Moreover, the doctors who allowed this to happen should all be put in jail and have their medical licenses revoked.

What crime did they commit? A medical service was requested and they performed it. No medical objections existed to the action. Doctors aren't social workers, they don't have to care about future impacts of things like that anymore than a plastic surgeon has to worry about if a woman he puts breast implants on is likelier to cheat on her husband.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »

Simple solution:

What crime did they commit? A medical service was requested and they performed it. No medical objections existed to the action. Doctors aren't social workers, they don't have to care about future impacts of things like that anymore than a plastic surgeon has to worry about if a woman he puts breast implants on is likelier to cheat on her husband.

They performed the service because they knew they would compensated by the state and without regard to the facts of the case of which they were most certainly aware of (namely that the women already had six kids and wanted eight more).

With that amount of knowledge, any physician in his right mind would/should have told the woman to take a hike.  Failure to do so makes them as complicit as she is in my book.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »

Simple solution:

Given that no one violated any known law, jailing part would be pretty hard to implement, at least, in a civilized democratic country (might be doable in North Korea, I guess). Whether the doctors behave ethically, might be questioned, this might be a cause for passing some new laws (though I doubt any law prohibiting a healthy individual from giving birth would be ruled constitutional; restrictions on welfare might be another matter). But there seems to have been no crime committed.

What shocks me is that people are willing to propose jailing people who had committed no crime, violated no existing law - just because they dislike a certain legal behavior. You think something should not be legal - there is a political process to make it illegal, use it. But no person should go to prison merely for doing something that somebody else does not like, but that is not prohibited by law. 

Reminds me a story, when some poor Soviet souls were caught buying/selling currency (I think it was a matter of 10 US grand or so). They were sentenced to 10 years in prison (maximum under the Soviet law of the time). Khruschev was mad: how could they get off so lightly! So they changed the law and had the guys shot for things that, when they did them, were not, even in theory, punishable by death. Good old USSR - but we are talking the US here, aren't we?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »

IVF has a high failure rate, so if she had no children and little chance of getting in another way, it would be justifiable to implant 8 embrions, expecting most of them to fail. But with her having six children already, this is almost criminal, especially considering how many people refuse to have more than one child or even no children at all because they feel they can't provide fully for them, while this woman expects the media to finance their upbringing.
Of course, this is not a crime, but perhaps there should be some provision to discourage doctors from helping such people.
And Spade, try to think before posting.

Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »

Funny how the fact that the mother is arabic means that the liberals and libertarians(with the notable exception of Dead0man) are coming out to defend her. If the mother was white they'd be condemning her.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »

I honestly see no reason to give any social safety net benefits(this includes food stamps) to families with more than 3 children. Anywhere below 3 kids, you're still a hardship case but salvageable but more than 3? You made your decision and actions have consequences.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »

Funny how the fact that the mother is arabic means that the liberals and libertarians(with the notable exception of Dead0man) are coming out to defend her. If the mother was white they'd be condemning her.
I'm mostly liberal (in the American sense) and I'm condeming her. I would condemn her regardless of skin colour.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »

Good.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »

I always try to think before posting or screwing your mother (classic Naso line).

To address the point - I don't really care whether it's a crime or not under the laws.  It should be.

Of course, this really is the least of California's (or our society's) present and future problems.  But it is a good example of one of its symptoms.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

I always try to think before posting or screwing your mother (classic Naso line).

To address the point - I don't really care whether it's a crime or not under the laws.  It should be.

Of course, this really is the least of California's (or our society's) present and future problems.  But it is a good example of one of its symptoms.
Punishing women for giving birth is despicable. Preventing doctors from using such treatment in such a case is quite reasonable, as is limiting welfare available to such children.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »

Irresponsible but not something I think society has the right to get up and punish her over.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »

Punishing women for giving birth is despicable. Preventing doctors from using such treatment in such a case is quite reasonable, as is limiting welfare available to such children.

Well, I think we can agree that she is clearly not fit to raise her children, so the state certainly has the right to take them from her and place them for adoption or put them in foster care.

However, she also gave birth in an purposeful attempt to scam the state of California.  That, to me, is a crime that deserves jail time. 

I know this is not the law, but that doesn't mean I can't wish it were the case.  Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 03:04:47 AM »

California was bankrupt enough without her.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 03:07:41 AM »

I'm mostly liberal (in the American sense) and I'm condeming her. I would condemn her regardless of skin colour.
Right, I didn't learn she was a Pali until long after I found out she was a selfish bitch.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »

Since her first plan doesn't seem to be working for her, she's gone to plan B.  link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Me thinks she has misjudged just a little.  How long until she plays the race card?  I give it a 6 weeks.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 04:23:18 AM »

Irresponsible but not something I think society has the right to get up and punish her over.

And we shouldn't pay for the procedure as well. The little bitch is openly trying to scam the government and the media. I hope she crashes and burns. Feel bad for the kids though.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 05:55:46 AM »

If you're under a rock pick one.  Single mom, healthy, 6 kids already, not rich.  SINGLE mom.  NOT rich.  LITTLE house.  And a medical profesional sticks 8 potential babies in her?  The selfishness of the adults involved in this is amazing.  Can anybody defend this?  I don't care what you do if you have the money to pay for it (but even this lady could pay for all of this, I'd still want her to seek mental help first as would any nomral OB/GYN), but if you're expecting the state or the media to pay for this then these peolpe are all kinds of selfish.

I thought you were a libertarian
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

I am.  What does that have to do with anything?  Do libertarians normally enjoy it when people take advantage of state tax payers like this asshole has done?  If she was paying for everything herself I'd say more power to her.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:01 AM »

I don't know, I'm not a libertarian.  But I thought that libertarians were not supposed to get offended by every stupid story they read about.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies