Gays in the Military
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gays in the Military
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should we allow Gays in the Military?
Yes

No

Keep 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Gays in the Military  (Read 17093 times)
raggage

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2004, 02:29:32 AM »

I say absolutely. The military is stretched thin as it is
nomorelies

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:30:49 AM »

Cant wait for the posts on this.

I SAW A SIGN IN IDAHO THAT SAID

"God created aids for those that chose to be gay"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 02:07:12 PM »

Given the nature of the modern military, wherein for almost all military occupations, persons of any gender are allowed to fill that position, I fail to see how having a homosexual in the military is going to be any more or less of a disruption than having a female is.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 03:28:25 PM »

I believe we should let anyone in the military if they're willing to fight.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 03:55:08 PM »

I think the "Don't ask; don't tell" policy is a good one. The reason why men and women are separated in the military is because they distract eachother- so having openly-gay men in the military just creates problems. If a homosexual was in the military with men and was openly gay, you bet he's going to hit on men and have sexual relations- just like if a man was in a woman's division. Does this mean we should put gays in the women's division? No, because that would distract the women.

The truth is it just becomes a distraction.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 08:36:33 PM »

Who said no, and give me a good reason.  
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:16:21 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2004, 05:18:20 PM by Governor PBrunsel »

"You don't need to be straight to be in the millitary, you just need to be able to shoot straight."
- Senator Barry Goldwater
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 10:17:29 PM »

I support keeping the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

While it would be nice if sexual orientation were not a divisive issue but the fact is that it is and it could cause some disruption and distraction from the military's one and only goal - protecting all Americans, whether gay or straight.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 11:06:56 PM »

I think the "Don't ask; don't tell" policy is a good one. The reason why men and women are separated in the military is because they distract eachother- so having openly-gay men in the military just creates problems. If a homosexual was in the military with men and was openly gay, you bet he's going to hit on men and have sexual relations- just like if a man was in a woman's division. Does this mean we should put gays in the women's division? No, because that would distract the women.

The truth is it just becomes a distraction.

Allow everyone to serve. If anyone hits on anyone else, whether they be straight or gay, then kick them out immediately. Make it plainly clear that this behavior will not be tolerated at all, and has no place in the military.

I trust people who have chosen to serve and to defend their country to not act on their sexual instincts in these cases, and to instead focus on their goal of defending their country.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 02:30:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The military does that anyway! That's the "Don't ask; Don't tell" policy. Where else would the gays mention their sexuality? In front of recruiters? Why would they do that? When I've spoken to recruiters, I never think of mentioning "Oh, by the way, I'm straight", because it's simply not an issue.  

By your logic, should we allow men and women to serve in the same divisions, shower together, share tents, etc?
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 06:03:06 PM »

Don't ask, Don't tell.

It protects gays from discrimination within and keeps those who don't want them there satisfied.
Tory

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 06:07:11 PM »

It doesn't bother me if gays serve in the military. I was in the Navy and served with several. If they can do thier job I'm fine with it.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 07:24:11 PM »

"You don't need to be staright to be in the millitary, you just need to be able to shoot straight."
- Senator Barry Goldwater

Excellent quote.  Gays in the military may make me uncomfortable, but we should not discriminate.  So long as my rear end is not being oogled, I'm fine with it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »

trust me, we don't spend nearly as much time checking out straight men as straight men spoend checking out women Wink

It is easy enough to 'turn off' the sexual desire. I don't spend every moment at school checking out my best friends' arse.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 01:01:39 PM »

trust me, we don't spend nearly as much time checking out straight men as straight men spoend checking out women Wink

It is easy enough to 'turn off' the sexual desire. I don't spend every moment at school checking out my best friends' arse.

That's irrelevent. Why are men and women separated in the military? Because they're distractions towards eachother.
Capey
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 03:11:22 PM »

Yes
badnarikin04

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 06:46:22 PM »

What's the difference between gays on the battlefield and the straight on the battlefield?

This should not even be a question. Yes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »

While it would be nice if sexual orientation were not a divisive issue but the fact is that it is and it could cause some disruption and distraction from the military's one and only goal - protecting all Americans, whether gay or straight.

One of the basises of your party is to divide based upon sexual orientation.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

I believe that gays should be allowed to fight for the country that discriminates against them if they want.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 11:21:23 AM »

One of the basises of your party is to divide based upon sexual orientation.

By that logic, we should allow women and men to serve in the same forces, otherwise we're guilty of "sexism".
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 01:01:17 PM »

PBrunsel made the great point, in a quote bt Barry Goldwater.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 12:18:12 AM »

Two criteria

1) Can they fight?

2) Can they be professional and not let their sexuality get in the way of their duty.

If each individual can match these, then they should be allowed in.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2004, 12:48:57 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2004, 12:51:47 AM by SCJ Nym90 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The military does that anyway! That's the "Don't ask; Don't tell" policy. Where else would the gays mention their sexuality? In front of recruiters? Why would they do that? When I've spoken to recruiters, I never think of mentioning "Oh, by the way, I'm straight", because it's simply not an issue.  

By your logic, should we allow men and women to serve in the same divisions, shower together, share tents, etc?

No, but there is no reason why anyone should have to deny their sexuality in order to be in the military. If someone is openly ogling other people, they should be thrown out. But someone should be able to admit to being gay.

If anything, having openly gay people in the military will help morale more than it will hurt, as it will allow straight people to see that they aren't what they may think. Anyone who wants to serve in the military almost certainly won't be hitting on people.

I see your point about coming out and declaring your orientation...it shouldn't generally be done, since it is irrelevant. But someone shouldn't be thrown out of the military for saying they are straight, and likewise they shouldn't for saying they are gay.

It's completely different than having men and women shower together. Women being afraid of men is much more rational, since men tend to be stronger than women, and thus the possibility of being raped is much greater than it would be for a straight man to be raped by a gay man. It's a completely different situation. I wouldn't be afraid of showering with a gay man, in large part because if someone tried to rape me, I'm fairly confident I could hurt them pretty badly. But I can fully understand why a woman, especially a petite one, would be afraid of showering with men.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »

Sexuality is subconscience. If you're gay, you just aren't fit for military service.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2004, 12:54:10 AM »

Sexuality is subconscience. If you're gay, you just aren't fit for military service.

Explain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies