Guess who's the GOP's newest economic strategist!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:44:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Guess who's the GOP's newest economic strategist!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Guess who's the GOP's newest economic strategist!  (Read 1004 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

So were Olbermann, Franken, and Cindy Sheehan the de facto heads of the Democratic Party during the last four years?

Obama was for the last year; before that, Pelosi and Reid were weak leaders as majority leader/Speak; before that, it was chaos. None of the people you mentioned had the media reach or could compel a Congressman to recant and kowtow like Phil Gingrey had to last week. Rush would agree, K.O. is a minor player by comparison.

The other difference between 2005 and 2009 is that Sarah Palin is planning a comeback and is still wildly popular with the Republican base, while Kerry was viewed the same way McCain is.

John Edwards was planning a run for President as well in 2005.

How much influence did John Edwards have over Congressional Democrats in 2005 and 2006, though? Close to none.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »

Palin should be their head of economic strategy. let's see how long it takes her blend of folksiness and utter economic incompetence to destroy Reaganism. She did make a very oil-rich state go into massive deficits.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:10 AM »

I didn't mention Kerry.  But if I recall correctly, he was doing well in polling among Democrats (re: the 2008 nomination) after losing in '04.  My point is that Palin's popularity is based on name-recognition, and the fact that she's a lightning rod for criticism by liberals, more than anything else.  I doubt she'll be there in 2012.  I don't even think she'll end up running.  To be honest with you, I haven't heard anything from her since Election Day, except for interviews about her perceived treatment by the media.  You don't offer any evidence that she's the de facto head of the party.

She's been giving rounds of interviews and filming a DVD that argues Obama won because the media gave it to him. I agree, she's not the de facto head of the GOP right now, because she's in Alaska and there's only so much she can do from there, and elected Republican governors and members of Congress don't like her. Lord knows, she's trying. The evidence for her influence is the poll showing a majority of Republicans believe the party should be more like her. I think everyone can agree that's a bad idea. It shows that she is a threat and has massive dormant support in the party. In effect, she's the real version of what some Republicans wanted to believe Al Sharpton was about five years ago. But she is absolutely not calling the shots now. As I said, dormant right now, and capable of being supplanted by someone who captures the imagination of the base. I just don't know who that person would be. It's not Romney.

Rush Limbaugh does have the power to police Republican members of Congress that Markos Moulitsas wants, but doesn't have. He's smart enough to deploy it carefully but I think he is the main person setting the Republican message right now and administering discipline to those who go off the reservation. This reflects both his own strength in the media and decimation of Republicans in Washington.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies