What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:06:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian  (Read 9015 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »

I see that by making the claim that FDR's New Deal merely "prolonged" the depression as opposed to "intensified" or "made deeper" or "caused" the depression, the writer of this article is sticking to the moderate revisionist line, as opposed to the intensified revisionist line. I suppose this qualifies him as a level- headed thinker in right wing circles these days.

Of course what the article omits is that being a libertarian also means that you never have to admit that you're wrong, since there is no perfectly libertarian societies out there, any failure can somehow be twisted to be blamed on government (while any success can be attributed to 'market liberalization').

No, libertarian societies don't exist today, but they did exist once upon a time. Government was created and expanded for a reason (and no, not just to oppress people, though obviously that was the incentive in some cases).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:49 AM »

No, libertarian societies don't exist today, but they did exist once upon a time.
cite? 

Well, obviously it depends on what is meant by a "libertarian society" (as I'm sure each libertarian would have his or her own definition), but I was referring to the times when government was very small compared to today; for example, the USA throughout much of the 1800's I'd think would qualify.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies