What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:41:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian  (Read 8981 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:52 AM »

Bono,

As usual you provide informative and thoughtful posts.

Let me suggest that there are a variety of libertarian school's of thought, with subtle differences of emphasis between them.  So, I don't thinks you can accurately say there is one libertarian response to life.

Let me further suggest that libertarians are bound to be frustrated largely to the extent they focus on the mindless acceptance by all too many, of big government as the panacea to all problems.  The glass will never be full, but we should look at improving the situation, rather than at the imperfections of the real world.

It seems to me that individual libertarians can be more effective (and less frustrated) if they focus on one particular aspect of the problem, and devote their energies to improving matters in that specific area.  This requires focused thought, learning, experimentation and action.

While not a libertarian (I'm a fusionist), I decided about forty years ago to devote my energies to supporting the right to keep and bear arms.  The effort was herculean, and took decades to bear fruit.  However, I can honestly state that our right to keep and bear arms is far more secure today than it was forty years ago.

Keep up the good work (especially annoying Alcon).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

And in a libertarian society THAT WON'T MATTER.  You can't run around with the biggest guns and force people to do what you want.  That is NOT what a libertarian society is.  No matter how many times you guys try and say that it is, it still won't be.  If you don't know what you're talking about it's really easy to not look stupid by looking it up before you post.

I think Heinlein said it best: "An armed society is a polite society." 

Also, suspect that "donut" is related to Opebo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies