Oklahoma.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:16:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Oklahoma.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Oklahoma.....  (Read 7945 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »

Oklahoma has the second highest Native American population in the country, second only to Alaska.  Myself, personally, am 1/32nd Potawatomi Indian, from my mother's side and 1/64th Cherokee from my father's side.  On my mother's side, my great-great grandfather was full blood Potawatomi and may get a newly constructed bridge named after him in the northeast Choctaw/southeast Jones/southwest Luther/northwest Harrah, Oklahoma area (east-north-east of Oklahoma City proper)

Actually, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, Oklahoma has the fourth highest Native American population in the country.

1) Alaska - 15.4%
2) New Mexico - 8.9%
3) South Dakota - 8.1%
4) Oklahoma - 7.7%
5) Montana - 6.0%
[/quote]I think that's Native only as opposed to Native alone or in combination?

In OK, the option of checking several boxes introduced for 2000 would have deflated the Native percentage.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »

Does the presence of some major televangelist empires and very politically active, conservative Christian Bible Colleges and Universities have any impact at all? 

In South Carolina, you have Bob Jones University.  A very small student population, but most of them are militant and are part of very militant churches.  Pretty good volunteer base there for the right Republican.  On the other hand, there are pockets of liberalism and/or old school Democratic party politics in SC.  I am not sure that is so in Oklahoma. 

Of course, it could simply be that the Okies just happen to be the most right wing folks in the country.  But I gotta say, it's pretty eye-opening to see the state go for the Republicans by wider margins than Idaho, Utah, Alaska, or Wyoming!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »

In South Carolina, you have Bob Jones University.  A very small student population, but most of them are militant and are part of very militant churches.  Pretty good volunteer base there for the right Republican.  On the other hand, there are pockets of liberalism and/or old school Democratic party politics in SC.  I am not sure that is so in Oklahoma. 
There are solidly Black-majority areas in South Carolina. Lots of them.

There are Blacks in Oklahoma, of course, but then there are Blacks in Seattle.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »

Which OK county has the highest native %age?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

I'm guessing Adair.. (42% Native)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 02:31:08 AM »

20% of Comanche County is Black along with 15% in both Tulsa and Oklahoma City so there are fairly sizeable amounts in Oklahoma.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:37 AM »

20% of Comanche County is Black along with 15% in both Tulsa and Oklahoma City so there are fairly sizeable amounts in Oklahoma.
Yes, I know there are of course more Blacks in Oklahoma than in Seattle. But a LOT fewer than in the Deep South.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »

But I gotta say, it's pretty eye-opening to see the state go for the Republicans by wider margins than Idaho, Utah, Alaska, or Wyoming!

OK is now quite a bit more GOP than NE... even 10 years ago that would have been a farce.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »

OK is now quite a bit more GOP than NE... even 10 years ago that would have been a farce.
[/quote]

At the presidential level, yes. Nebraska did swing wildly into the Democratic column in 2008, and Oklahoma was one of five states that swung Republican. It's a mystery to me why all these typically Republican-leaning states like Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Utah went so wildly Democratic in 2008. All of these states (except South Dakota) voted pretty heavily for Obama in the primary as well. I mean seriously, why and how did Obama do so well in these areas? I'm asking wholeheartedly and not meaning to be condescending but it's a phenomenon I'd like to know more about preferably from a voter in one of these states.

Outside the presidential level, though, I think Oklahoma is more Democratic than Nebraska. The only Democrat from Nebraska with any real prominence is Sen. Ben Nelson, who's pretty much a DINO as he's fairly more conservative than the Sisters from Maine (Snowe and Collins). All of Oklahoma's statewide offices are held by Democrats as well. 
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 09:29:14 AM »

At the presidential level, yes. Nebraska did swing wildly into the Democratic column in 2008, and Oklahoma was one of five states that swung Republican. It's a mystery to me why all these typically Republican-leaning states like Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Utah went so wildly Democratic in 2008. All of these states (except South Dakota) voted pretty heavily for Obama in the primary as well. I mean seriously, why and how did Obama do so well in these areas? I'm asking wholeheartedly and not meaning to be condescending but it's a phenomenon I'd like to know more about preferably from a voter in one of these states.

Outside the presidential level, though, I think Oklahoma is more Democratic than Nebraska. The only Democrat from Nebraska with any real prominence is Sen. Ben Nelson, who's pretty much a DINO as he's fairly more conservative than the Sisters from Maine (Snowe and Collins). All of Oklahoma's statewide offices are held by Democrats as well. 

[/quote]

Obama has a personality that does well for him in the Midwest whereas Kerry turned people off (not that he had a chance in Hell anyway). I'd attribute his primary success to Obama being well liked by a sizable portion of the population and this was an area where even rural voters weren't crazy about Hillary.. mostly because of Bill. Also consider that moderates make up a far greater share of the electorate in these states (especially on the eastern sides) than what some might think. This region has historically been a battle of moderate and conservative republicans and the moderates are starting to defect. I can't speak for other eastern Plains cities, but Lincoln and Omaha aren't the most socially conservative places (not that it doesn't exist) either so even some old-school conservatives voted for Obama.

Oklahoma is more democratic at the local level than NE but recent elections have been more favorable for dems in Nebraska at the local level than in Oklahoma.  Oklahoma historically was a swing state at the presidential level and a very democratic state at the local level. Nebraska has always been republican territory but as our urban areas continue to grow, there will be more and more competition from democrats. Nelson could get away with being more liberal (we easily elected Kerrey twice) but he's a centrist and usually votes accordingly.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »

Most Oklahoma Democrats aren't Democrats at all. They are people who still have the Republicans=Rich Democrat=Poor mindset. They never vote for Democrats, even if they are moderates. Please change parties now.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »

Thank you for that insightful analysis, Husker. And yes I agree with ShadowOfTheWave, there are more registered Democrats in Oklahoma than registered Republicans, but Oklahoma is still one of the reddest states in the nation. This is a phenomenon that Democrats need to address: why people who consider themselves to be Democrats vote so overwhelmingly Republican in Oklahoma. I understand that many Democrats are quite conservative especially on the social issues, but do they really always vote just on the Bible issues? If so, I agree, they need to leave the party and just register to be Republicans. They're already voting Republican so what would it hurt?
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »

Thank you for that insightful analysis, Husker. And yes I agree with ShadowOfTheWave, there are more registered Democrats in Oklahoma than registered Republicans, but Oklahoma is still one of the reddest states in the nation. This is a phenomenon that Democrats need to address: why people who consider themselves to be Democrats vote so overwhelmingly Republican in Oklahoma. I understand that many Democrats are quite conservative especially on the social issues, but do they really always vote just on the Bible issues? If so, I agree, they need to leave the party and just register to be Republicans. They're already voting Republican so what would it hurt?

The northern and western parts of OK tend to be more republican anyway but what is shocking is how well McCain did in the southern and eastern parts. Why don't they become republicans? Probably because the only primaries that matter in many small towns in "Little Dixie" are democratic ones. Why it is still that way is anyone's guess....
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies