Quinnipiac: 12 Point Shift From Corzine To Christie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:18:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Quinnipiac: 12 Point Shift From Corzine To Christie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quinnipiac: 12 Point Shift From Corzine To Christie  (Read 7232 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1254

Corzine is still favored I imagine, but maybe he'll have a tougher challenge than it seemed after initial disappointing polls.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »

That's adorable.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »

New Jersey, why are you doing this to us?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

I'm not convinced.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »

This is one of those years which you have be careful in calling New Jersey.

Just FYI - though we're a *long* way from polls *really* meaning anything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »

So Corzine is at a 41% approval rating with only (only in NJ can I say this...) a 50% disapproval rating? Yeah, this guy has it wrapped up.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

That's too bad. I think Christie would be good for New Jersey.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »

Watch out.  Quinnipiac is the "good" one.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

The legislature and Corzine better get on the whole gay marriage thing before it's too late...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »

Safe D.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

The legislature and Corzine better get on the whole gay marriage thing before it's too late...

That would be a good way to lose more support from certain ethnic voters who usually vote Democrat.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »

That would be a good way to lose more support from certain ethnic voters who usually vote Democrat.
People who support gay marriage always lose elections!

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »

For reasons I cannot fathom, over six months away from an election in New Jersey, Democrat statewide candidates frequently seem vunerable, but as election day approaches they get stronger, and eventually win.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2009/02/nj-gov_could_republicans_final.html

New Jersey has been fool's gold -- or, in the Fix's favorite metaphor, the equivalent of Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown -- for Republicans for more than a decade. Every two years (or so) GOPers become convinced that this is the cycle where they break a growing streak of losses.

In 2001 it was the governor's race where Bret Schundler was going to knock off Jim McGreevey. (McGreevey won with 57 percent). In the 2002 Senate race, Doug Forrester was going to beat Bob Torricelli (he probably would have) and then replacement Democratic nominee Frank Lautenberg. (Lautenberg won by 10 points). Fast forward to 2006 when state Sen. Tom Kean Jr. was the man to beat appointed Sen. Bob Menendez (Menendez won 53 percent to 44 percent). And then there was last November's presidential race when aides to Sen. John McCain insisted he was the right candidate to carry the Garden State. (President Barack Obama carried New Jersey by 15 points.)

Given all of that electoral history, it's not surprising that many longtime political observers greeted a new Quinnipiac College poll that showed Gov. Jon Corzine trailing likely Republican nominee Chris Christie 44 percent to 38 percent with a roll of the eyes.

But, maybe -- just maybe -- this is the year that Republicans finally get over the top.

Here's why: Corzine has had a steady run of negative job approval numbers; his résumé as a former senior executive at Goldman Sachs, once considered one of his strongest assets, is now seen as a burden with the struggles of New York's financial sector bleeding into New Jersey (the state's unemployment rate hit a 15-year high in December); and in Christie, a former U.S. Attorney, Republicans finally may have found the quality candidate they have long been searching for.

"People are disappointed in Corzine," said Mike Duhaime, a New Jersey native who managed former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid in 2008. "They don't dislike him. He's just been ineffective."

That sentiment was echoed by a Democratic operative who has done extensive work in the state and was granted anonymity to speak candidly about Corzine's prospects.

"I think this is a real race and it will be close," said the source. "Christie will not wither on the vine like past Republicans."

The Quinnipiac poll seems to bear out that assessment. Going beyond the head to head numbers, there is troubling data for Corzine almost everywhere you look. Independent voters disapprove of the job he is doing by a two-to-one margin and opt for Christie by a 49 percent to 24 percent margin. Only one in three voters say that Corzine deserves to win reelection this fall while 54 percent believe he does not.

While these numbers tell some of the story, there are gaps in the text.

The first is that Corzine has massive personal wealth and a willingness to spend it on his political campaigns. Corzine dropped more than $63 million to win his Senate seat in 2000, spent more than $40 million in his 2005 gubernatorial bid and has already said he plans to dip into his own pocket for his 2009 reelection campaign. (Detractors note that the economic downturn has likely lessened Corzine's ability to spend on the race -- lessened maybe but not eliminated.)

The second is that New Jersey voters are famously fickle, often remaining "undecided" until the last minute of any race. Much of that indecision has to do with the fact that the state doesn't have its own media markets (it is covered by the very pricey New York City and Philadelphia markets) -- which ensures that the coverage of New Jersey politics is minimal at best.

Regardless of the reasons, the truth about New Jersey politics is that when these undecided voters do hop off the fence, large majorities of them land on the Democratic side. That reality means that if a race goes into election day with the two candidates tied and an undecided number between five and 10 percent, the Democrat is almost certain to win.

And, finally, Christie remains something of an undefined commodity right now.

Republicans cast him as a crusading reformer -- the perfect foil for Corzine. "Chris Christie fits the mold of GOP candidates in New Jersey who have won statewide office in the past," said Brian Jones, a Republican consultant and New Jersey native. "He's optimistic, not overly ideological, with a real focus on results and getting the job done."

Democrats insist that once Christie gets into the hurly-burly (awesome word) of a campaign, he will lose the sterling image that he currently carries with voters and will have to answer for his ties to former president George W. Bush; Christie raised money for Bush and was appointed U.S. Attorney by the former president.

"Let's wait and see where he is once he actually puts forth a policy proposal," said Democratic Governors Association political director Ray Glendening. "Jon Corzine has spent his first 3 years in office trying to put New Jersey's finances on track while Chris Christie has spent them preparing to run for Governor."

Could Corzine be headed for his first ever electoral defeat? Possible but not probable -- as of today. What's for sure is that he is in for a very serious race that will test his political acumen -- and, very likely, his wallet.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »

For reasons I cannot fathom, over six months away from an election in New Jersey, Democrat statewide candidates frequently seem vunerable, but as election day approaches they get stronger, and eventually win.

Because NJ hates their elected officials but when the election rolls around, they remember that they're partisan hacks and stick with their Democratic leaders.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »

I find that bit about them rarely receiving local news coverage to be interesting - they receive info on what's going on in Pennsylvania and New York, making it harder to form substantive opinions.

Corzine's financial domination helps sway the undecideds by saturating the market in such a way that his opponent cannot match.

And yeah, I think Garden Staters are a bit masochist when it comes to their politicians - they want someone they can complain about.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single Republican who had a 6 point lead in NJ since Christie Whitman.

(Except for Doug Forrester, who had a 20+ lead on Bob Torricelli.  But that one really doesn't count because it never made it to election day.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single Republican who had a 6 point lead in NJ since Christie Whitman.

(Except for Doug Forrester, who had a 20+ lead on Bob Torricelli.  But that one really doesn't count because it never made it to election day.)

I'm pretty sure Kean had a healthy lead of Menendez for some time in the summer of 2006. I'd bet that Forrester even had a bit of a lead against Corzine for some time in 2005.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure Kean had a healthy lead of Menendez for some time in the summer of 2006. I'd bet that Forrester even had a bit of a lead against Corzine for some time in 2005.

I'd be interested in seeing those polls.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »

Even if Christie is polling historically well, I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet.  It really depends on the money that Christie is capable of raising and the type of campaign that he runs, more than the polling results he gets as of now.

Turnout models are just awful this far out.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing those polls.

Kean was leading at a couple points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_United_States_Senate_election,_2006#Polls

However, Forrester never seems to have led once:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_gubernatorial_election,_2005#Polling
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

I still think something makes this year different than all the others.  Forrester, Schundler, Kean, they weren't alternatives that made people want to throw out Democrats.  If Christie has approvals like this, even with Corzine having a net approval of around -10, he should win.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:01 AM »

Since this is NJ, Christie would need to be leading by 20+ points before I could expect justice to prevail.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

Since this is NJ, Christie would need to be leading by 20+ points before I could expect justice to prevail.
I don't know, the number of undecideds is much lower than usual.  Kean was not winning at this point and Quinnipiac early on had him around 30-35%
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »

I don't know, the number of undecideds is much lower than usual.  Kean was not winning at this point and Quinnipiac early on had him around 30-35%

As I recall, Kean was only ever leading for a brief time in early September. That much said, Christie's chances immediately look better than Kean's ever did, though it is still too early for me to be optimistic about him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies