Ford/Dole Vs. Chisholm/Fulbright(1976)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:24:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ford/Dole Vs. Chisholm/Fulbright(1976)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford/Dole Vs. Chisholm/Fulbright(1976)  (Read 1207 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ok based on the above Scenario, which inturn is followed by very little butterflies allowing for Ford to still succeed Nixon and pick Dole as his new Vice Presidential running mate. Chisholm is able to barely squeek by with enough delegates to clinch the nomination after a hard fought battle with Carter. In order to balance the ticket she picks a well known  fomrer Southern Senator with strong Foreign Relations credentials being J. William Fulbright. So how might the "Rose Garden" Strategy win out against Chisholm's mantra of "Unbought and Unbossed"?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2009, 11:01:59 PM by Romney/Graham 2012 »

A very liberal black congresswoman from the northeast, teamed up with a former southern senator who supported school segregation, opposed the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1964, and opposed the Voting Rights Act of 1965, make for an odd couple indeed.

With Chisholm at the top of the ticket, even Fulbright fails to bring in any southern states.

A liberal black woman running for President in 1976 does not fly.

Don't get me wrong, Chisholm was a great woman dedicated to the cause of equality and justice, but as a Presidential candidate, she falls way short.

A landslide win for Ford and Dole.       

Ford/Dole                     466
Chisholm/Fulbright         72

Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:38:45 PM »

A very liberal black congresswoman from the northeast, teamed up with a former southern senator who supported school segregation, opposed the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1964, and opposed the Voting Rights Act of 1965, make for an odd couple indeed.

With Chisholm at the top of the ticket, even Fulbright fails to bring in any southern states.

Don't get me wrong, Chisholm was a great woman dedicated to the cause of equality and justice, but as a Presidential candidate, she falls way short.

I think your missing the message my friend, a more successful candidacy by Chisholm in '72, who after take Barbara Jordan's seat on the Judiciary and earns her fame as an anti-watergate legislator to the rest of the nation. With no McGovern campaign in '72 or a successful stop Wallace movement, she is able to lock up the minority and liberal vote by more well known to a majority of americans...I think she could pull it off
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:02 AM »

I think your missing the message my friend, a more successful candidacy by Chisholm in '72, who after take Barbara Jordan's seat on the Judiciary and earns her fame as an anti-watergate legislator to the rest of the nation. With no McGovern campaign in '72 or a successful stop Wallace movement, she is able to lock up the minority and liberal vote by more well known to a majority of americans...I think she could pull it off

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you, regardless of the circumstances surrounding a Presidential race between Ford and Chisholm, and regardless of Chisholm's reputation as an anti-watergate legislator.

A Presidential candidate has to be taken seriously by the electorate.  Chisholm may have had some degree of respect with the electorate, as she did in real life, and as she does in your scenario.

However, as a potential President and leader of the free world, she loses the conservative and moderate vote by a wide margin, and whites would vote massively for Ford in this election.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies