Is the grasp of English by our foreign posters here humbling?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:47:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is the grasp of English by our foreign posters here humbling?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Is the grasp of English by our foreign posters here humbling?  (Read 2112 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »

I'm constantly amazed at how Lewis, Gustaf, and Tender, just for a few examples, not only write "fluent" English, but actually write better than 95%+ native speakers.  It's one thing to learn a foreign language and be able to be understood in it, it's another thing to achieve the level of skill in it that rivals a well-educated native speaker.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »

It is very impressive.  They probably write better than 90% of the native posters here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 07:44:11 PM »

The best way to become proficient in a language like they have is to either live there or come to places like this that offer idioms and other things that help to polish their understanding of the language.

I learned the grammar of German in a classroom and learned to have a semi-confident speaking ability before I ever went to a German speaking country.  It was a shock when I arrived in Salzburg and couldn't understand a damn thing they were saying... which is funny... I wouldn't be able to speak the Salzburg dialect if you held a knife to my throat... but I can understand the dialects of Upper Austria and South Tyrol very well because that is where most of my friends are from.

It is sad that Americans don't take foreign languages...
But don't give credit where it isn't due... hand it to the German speaking people and the Scandinavians for learning English so well.  You need almost no understanding of German to get along in Germany just fine.

France, Spain, and Italy are a different story.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

This isn't uncommon. It's largely due to them learning English only in a very formal setting, as opposed to native speakers.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »

Something like 10% of the population at my school is international students. And every day they make me feel bad with their perfect English.

Foreigners suck. Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »

It's pretty amazing. Sometimes I forget that Lewis's native language is German.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »

I really do admire it. I almost everyone in question learned English in school from an early age (making it a lot easier but certainly not easy) but as someone who just doesn't think I can ever master another language, I'm always amazed.

I talk to italian-boy privately and his English is perfect. Again, his schooling and other pressures are why he knows the language but I've never once noticed an error.

I have this Italian friend (that I mentioned here before because I was trying to find good translation websites) that knows English as well. He's a very different case though. He knows English. It's not that great but it's enough to understand him. What was always humbling was how he would tell me that he didn't mind speaking (typing online) English when we were "talking." He would try his best and then simply use Google translation when he didn't know otherwise. It was never the other way around. When I apologized for not knowing much Italian and asked if he'd prefer that I use the translator, he simply didn't care.

Savor this, English speakers. It won't last forever.  Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »

OK, this is embarrassing.  I clicked on this thread from the main page, as it was on top.  I forgot this was my thread, looked at the title, looked at the comment the page went to (featuring a Red Minnesota next to it), and prepared to write a "Ha, look at the stupid BRTD poll."
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »

I constantly forget that English is not their first language, they speak it so well. In that sense, it typically isn't humbling - because I forget how impressive it really is. Then you put this up and yes I am humbled. The only chap who you realise doesn't speak English as his first language is that french chap with the orange avatar, who has recently been posting under the username "B." Even though his sentence structure sometimes is a little different (which I believe is because french sentence structure is quite different) he speaks very good english and since I don't speak any other language even a little bit, I'm certainly not one to judge.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »

Thank you. How flattering.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:26 AM »

I didn't mention you by name, but, yes, you too.  My blood leads me back to your land yet I can't speak a word of your language.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 01:34:10 AM »

I didn't mention you by name, but, yes, you too.  My blood leads me back to your land yet I can't speak a word of your language.

Oh really? What part of the Motherland are your ancestors from?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »

I certainly agree with Obama when he said that he was embarrassed by americans who refuse to learn foreign languages.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »

I am taking Spanish right now, and am really enjoying it.

I speak mostly fluent Serb-Croatian (whatever they feel like calling it), and speak it with my grandmother a lot.

Americans simply find it hard to retain a foreign language because our geography really. A large landscape of mainly English speakers, and it is sometimes extremely hard to practice any foreign language you know.

But still, that doesn't explain the UK and Australia. Ever noticed that most English speakers do not know a foreign language? It might have to do with the fact that it is seen as so important that few anglos feel like learning a foreign language.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:36 AM »

But still, that doesn't explain the UK and Australia. Ever noticed that most English speakers do not know a foreign language? It might have to do with the fact that it is seen as so important that few anglos feel like learning a foreign language.

That is certainly the case. Remnants of the British colonial empire live on with the near-universal application of the English language worldwide.

I made a Dutch friend in China who told me that in Holland, he had learned English/French/German for approximately 6 years and Dutch for 5. Go figure. All of the Europeans I met there - English all very impressive. It was just like back home, albeit I had to explain some scurrilous American slang to them. And to be frank back home many of my high school classmates were barely literate, so standards weren't too high Tongue

Now, for the Asians I met in China, different story completely. It's understandable though, I was able to pick up French relatively easily since it's so similar to English already. I instead had a daily aneurysm trying to memorize Chinese characters, and I'd imagine the feeling is mutual for Chinese speakers trying to learn English.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:58:58 AM »

I took Japanese classes at school when I was thirteen, but really sucked. I would love to learn french and italian (my soon-to-be sister-in-law actually did her schooling in french, so perhaps I should ask her) but I have a feeling I will be terrible at it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »

I learned English in KGI and Grade 2, and I've been in an English curriculum since then. I don't really have an excuse to speak/write atrocious English. Even though, I still have a strong French accent in English, which is surprising considering I got into English at a very young age.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 08:52:09 AM »

OK, this is embarrassing.  I clicked on this thread from the main page, as it was on top.  I forgot this was my thread, looked at the title, looked at the comment the page went to (featuring a Red Minnesota next to it), and prepared to write a "Ha, look at the stupid BRTD poll."
Now that is humbling!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies