Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:19:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 116097 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »

A cynic in me wants to suggest that Luksik is either doing this in an attempt to:
1) Force Toomey out of the primary

LOL

I hope for her sanity that she doesn't think that that will happen.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »

My cynical side was mostly thinking of #2, but that may be conspiratorial crazy

But yeah, big fundraisers tend to be very, very, pragmatic people.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »

http://www.wilknetwork.com/Sen--Specter-says-he-s-trying-to-lead-the-Republic/3984964

Keep digging, Arlen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »

Listen to that interview! Oh wow.

First of all, Arlen is back to being Arlen (never calling Toomey by his name, just "my opponent.")

Then he says he was his opponent from "2000...uh...the last election...his group, the Club for Growth, was directly responsible for defeating Senator Chafee in Rhode Island...had he been re-elected, we would have maintained the Senate for that two year period."

Uh, Arlen, Senator Chafee won the primary and the Club for Growth wasn't involved with Whitehouse's campaign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »

Listen to that interview! Oh wow.

First of all, Arlen is back to being Arlen (never calling Toomey by his name, just "my opponent.")

Then he says he was his opponent from "2000...uh...the last election...his group, the Club for Growth, was directly responsible for defeating Senator Chafee in Rhode Island...had he been re-elected, we would have maintained the Senate for that two year period."

Uh, Arlen, Senator Chafee won the primary and the Club for Growth wasn't involved with Whitehouse's campaign.

Calm down, Phil.  I think what he's trying to say here is that the Club for Growth dragged Chafee down so that he couldn't win.  At issue here I think is the word 'directly'.  That's what I think he's trying to say here.

Either that, or he's a malevolent old man, or senile, or both.  Take your pick.

That's not being directly involved though.

When did you become a RINO sympathizer, Vander Blubb?  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

I actually like old Snarlin' Arlen.  He is so mean.

Only you could get away with saying that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2009, 03:22:56 PM »

Wait. So Toomey is definitely running? It seems like its a forgone conclusion that he'll run, but I thought he was telling friends privately he was? That doesn't always pan out.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »

Wait. So Toomey is definitely running? It seems like its a forgone conclusion that he'll run, but I thought he was telling friends privately he was? That doesn't always pan out.

Some of his key supporters/closest friends leaked an e-mail that said he decided to do it. He's running. He's already getting endorsements.

...and Specter is already making it clear that he's afraid.
JWHart

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -5.74

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2009, 04:04:35 PM »

Phil will either be pleased or dismayed that Kos basically agrees with him on Specter's re-election odds and chances of switching parties. Though obviously not on Toomey's general election odds. Tongue

I mostly bring this up since Markos' ambivalence, at worst, on the matter means that Specter shouldn't expect a serious primary challenge if he does flip -- if Rendell won't back it, labor won't back it, and the netroots won't back it, who does that leave?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

on the matter means that Specter shouldn't expect a serious primary challenge if he does flip -- if Rendell won't back it, labor won't back it, and the netroots won't back it, who does that leave?

No one

That's been my point. If Specter switches, he gets it with little to absolutely no trouble.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »

murder suicide?  maybe sue the RNSC like Bunning? I can't think of anything else, maybe just an interesting spokesman phrase

Resign now and throw the seat to a Dem appointee? I concede, that is extremely unlikely...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »

murder suicide?  maybe sue the RNSC like Bunning? I can't think of anything else, maybe just an interesting spokesman phrase

Resign now and throw the seat to a Dem appointee? I concede, that is extremely unlikely...

That would make no sense at all.  Tongue

Why would he do that? He'd be giving the seat to the Dems so he clearly wouldn't have a personal problem with the party switch. Why wouldn't he just switch himself, have a good chance at getting re-elected, etc.?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »

Someone thought it would be cute to invite Santorum to the Toomey for U.S. Senate 2010 Facebook group. This will be fun to watch.  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »

As someone who actually is an administrator of some senator's facebook profiles, don't be surprised when it's ignored.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »

As someone who actually is an administrator of some senator's facebook profiles, don't be surprised when it's ignored.

Oh, wow. What a big shot.  Tongue

Yeah, I expect it to be ignored.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »

I heard on Foxnews last night that Specter has become wishy washy on whether he'd support card check or not.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but he comes out and opposes it, could it signal that he's going to remain in the GOP?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »

I heard on Foxnews last night that Specter has become wishy washy on whether he'd support card check or not.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but he comes out and opposes it, could it signal that he's going to remain in the GOP?

If he opposes it, he's staying because he thinks that will give him a shot in the primary. It helps but not enough.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »

Other options??  What in hell could he think his other options are, battle it out in the GOP and likely lose (damnit) or switch to the dems (he was a dem once right?)?  Is he thinking administration job? at his age and health status?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2009, 02:56:53 PM by Htmldon, "Community Organizer" »

It would be hilarious/sad if Specter switched parties and beat Toomey as a Democrat.  I'd hate to see another Democratic Senate seat, but it would be exactly the same thing that happens in so many races Toomey and his minions are involved in.  A good Republican is defeated in the primary, and a Democrat is elected in their place.  Specter would just be passing up the opportunity to be "Toomyied" and instead become the "Toomyier".  The only question would be  whether there would be a stand-in candidate to give sane people a candidate to support in the primary so Toomey wouldn't take the nomination unopposed.  Toomey should never be unopposed, there should always be someone to stand up for dignity, decency, and justice.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

It would be hilarious/sad if Specter switched parties and beat Toomey as a Democrat.  I'd hate to see another Democratic Senate seat, but it would be exactly the same thing that happens in so many races Toomey and his minions are involved in.  A good Republican is defeated in the primary, and a Democrat is elected in their place.  Specter would just be passing up the opportunity to be "Toomyied" and instead become the "Toomyier".

A "good Republican." Oh, Don.

Imagine what will happen if Specter switches. He'll go from a "good Republican" in Don's book to one of the most evil people ever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »

http://www.thebulletin.us/articles/2009/03/11/top_stories/bullet_points/doc49b7486ef18c5683509931.txt

Basically, she's throwing a huge fit because Toomey decided to change his mind about running.

Don't get too happy, Specter fans. She won't get the money or recognition that Pat will get.

Oh, check this out...

http://grassrootspa.com/blogcore/pdf/ErosionSpecter.pdf
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »

Doesn't that also worry you for the general?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

http://audio.wilknewsradio.com/m/audio/21975249/pat-toomey-talks-about-running-for-specter-s-seat.htm

Impressive, as usual.  Smiley

Sure it's a concern in the General but I don't think Specter magically solves that problem. They don't want him either.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »

That quote about Specter blaming the loss of the Senate on Toomey and the Club for Growth is hilarious. Does he honestly thing that Chafee would have remained a Republican at the height of the Surge. He probably would have done a Jim Jeffords. RI was one of the states most likely to switch hands along with Burns and Specter's 2004 Messiah. That was clear in early 2006. If the Senate were to be held it would have been on the backs of Allen, Talent and DeWine. So even if Laffey had not run against him, Chafee still would have lost most likely. It sounds like Specter wants to join the same club as Bunning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

So even if Laffey had not run against him, Chafee still would have lost most likely.

Yeah, that's what us normals have said from the beginning. The man had a 62% approval rating on Election day and still lost by about eight points. He wasn't going to win. They wanted a Democrat elected.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies