Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:04:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 114465 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »

Good thing he wasn't a far right wing ideologue to begin with...  Tongue

As I've said, Sestak now gets to be the "moderate slayer." We'll love every minute of it.

"Moderate slayer"?  Try old bumbling fool who should be retired slayer.  Sestak's moderate enough especially on economic issues.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #876 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

As I've said, Sestak now gets to be the "moderate slayer." We'll love every minute of it.

"Moderate slayer"?  Try old bumbling fool who should be retired slayer. 

You guys wouldn't have been saying that if it was Toomey vs. Specter.  Wink
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #877 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

"Moderate slayer"?  Try old bumbling fool who should be retired slayer. 

You guys wouldn't have been saying that if it was Toomey vs. Specter.  Wink

But of course:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #878 on: May 14, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

....endorsed Toomey.

Wink

I bet some of you got really excited for some reason after reading that title.  Tongue  I wonder if the moderates/Dent lovers will go nuts on him for this.

Then again, I think Dent endorsed Toomey in 2004. He did it for political reasons, of course, since Toomey endorsed Dent in his three way primary. If he hadn't and if two conservatives didn't run, we wouldn't be talking about a Congressman Dent right now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #879 on: May 14, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »

He's endorsing Toomey over Luksik?  He's endorsing the de-facto nominee?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #880 on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

He's endorsing Toomey over Luksik?  He's endorsing the de-facto nominee?

Tongue

It's basically means, "Ok, no one else (Gerlach) is running."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #881 on: May 14, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »

http://blog.pennlive.com/politics/2009/05/dent_endorses_toomey_as_strong.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #882 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/05/specter-were-close-to-a-compromise-on-efca.php

Like I said, the best thing for Specter would be for the bill to be basically renamed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #883 on: May 14, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0509/Torsella_dropping_out_of_Pa_Senate_race.html
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #884 on: May 14, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

My signature stands.  I'm tired of political grandstanding and people who have been in office forever.  Arlen will have my support against Pat Toomey in a general.  That's as far as it will go and even still I'll say Pat Toomey is more consistent and principled. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #885 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2009, 06:19:36 PM by North Carolina Yankee(RPP-NC) »

....endorsed Toomey.

Wink

I bet some of you got really excited for some reason after reading that title.  Tongue  I wonder if the moderates/Dent lovers will go nuts on him for this.

Then again, I think Dent endorsed Toomey in 2004. He did it for political reasons, of course, since Toomey endorsed Dent in his three way primary. If he hadn't and if two conservatives didn't run, we wouldn't be talking about a Congressman Dent right now.

OMG!!!!! Toomey endorsed a moderate for a House seat but thats impossible this is the SOB who went around primarying moderates with Right wingers unsuitable for there district and he headed the Club for Growth who nearly primaried Lincoln Chafee and thus cost us the senate b/c Chafee would have been elected otherwise. Toomey is an extremist Nazis!!!!. Wink

For those of you who are smart only on days that don't end in the Y this post is entirely satire and doesn't in anyway reflect the views of the poster
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #886 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »

Yeah, not surprising.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #887 on: May 14, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »

I think Sestak's the better person.  Glad he did it.

Please take Arlen back.  Pretty please! Tongue  I really think that him as a Republican would be better for us.  You know he'd trigger a CP candidacy.  I think Arlen switching to the Democrats will help the GOP in a strange way. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #888 on: May 14, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

Agreed

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nope

Your problem now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #889 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »

I really like how Torsella justifies dropping out (whether or not he believes it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMejbpxgxg

He's basically saying that he'd be forced to run a negative campaign against Specter instead of a positive one about himself.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #890 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »

I'll give it to you Phil.  Arlen is just that, a problem.  You said it all along and I didn't believe you until now.  Funny a lot of older people like him though and say things like "he really gets things done for PA, brings home the bacon, etc."  I would hate to see PA send some impotent dinosaur like Strom Thurmond or Robert Byrd who look embarassing to their respective states to the US Senate and you think they should have retired to spend time with the grandkids.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #891 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

I haven't exactly been known as a consistent Democrat, but even I would vote against Arlen Specter in a Democratic primary.  I despise him not because of what he did (like I said, I am not exactly a paragon of Democratic orthodoxy myself), but for why he did it.  Whether its switching parties, or changing positions on various key issues (i.e. the EFCA) for political advantage, Arlen is far too brazen about his political ambitions to warrant my support. 

As such, I will endorse whoever beats him in the primary.   
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #892 on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »

Nate finally makes a non-ignorant blog post about PA, mostly because it keeps PA politics as an abstract entity:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/05/arlen-specter-now-67-democrat.html

Arlen will never vote as a "normal Democrat from his state might" though, that's a pretty ridic conclusion, and clearly something that he promised the Democratic leadership he would not do, if anything.  He wishes to remain symbolically independent in order to justify his party switch.

Procedurally though, that's something else.

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #893 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »

Okay first of all, wow. 61 pages of posts devoted to this one U.S. Senate seat in Pennsylvania. Is it really that important? Tongue I predict it will have well over 1,000 pages by November 2, 2010 (Election Day).

You can't really blame Arlen for leaving the Republican Party. I think he did so for personal politically ambitious reasons after seeing that he would never beat Pat Toomey in the GOP primary. That notwithstanding, I do agree with him. The Republican Party has become so polarized that you have to be a conservative to be in the party. Moderates are almost all but gone in the party (save for the Sisters of Maine and the three GOP governors in New England, as well as Charlie Crist and the Governator). The Party of No has quickly become the party of exclusion.

As much as I respect Arlen for his views on the social issues and sympathize with and pray for him for his cancer, we need to have a REAL Democrat working alongside Bob Casey Jr. in the U.S. Senate. Arlen's already said that he's not going to be a rank-and-file Democrat, which if you ask me basically means he is going to vote the same way he did as a Republican, only thing that's changed is that he now has a D after his name as opposed to an R.

If I lived in Pennsylvania and were voting, I'd vote for Joe Sestak or Allyson Schwartz should she enter the race over Arlen.

And the fact that Obama, Biden and Rendell have all lined up behind Arlen is a little upsetting if you ask me. The people of Pennsylvania should and will get to decide who their senator is, not the other way around.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #894 on: May 15, 2009, 01:42:25 AM »

You can't really blame Arlen for leaving the Republican Party. I think he did so for personal politically ambitious reasons after seeing that he would never beat Pat Toomey in the GOP primary. That notwithstanding, I do agree with him. The Republican Party has become so polarized that you have to be a conservative to be in the party. Moderates are almost all but gone in the party (save for the Sisters of Maine and the three GOP governors in New England, as well as Charlie Crist and the Governator). The Party of No has quickly become the party of exclusion.

I completely agree with you, but please remember who the author of this thread is when you post things like that in the future. Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #895 on: May 15, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »

Okay first of all, wow. 61 pages of posts devoted to this one U.S. Senate seat in Pennsylvania. Is it really that important?

That's nothing -you really need to check out the PA 13 threadTongue

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »

I completely agree with you, but please remember who the author of this thread is when you post things like that in the future. Tongue

More trolling. Pathetic.

And, yes, this race is that important. It's a very interesting race (on both sides) between giants and it's a race in a major swing state.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

Your life must really suck, kid.  Roll Eyes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #899 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2009, 02:35:02 PM by Lunar »

Prediction: Steele will side with the Democrats on their OLC chief, Dawn Johnsen's cloture vote.

What's his opposition to her anyway? The only reason the Republicans are against her is because of her work with NARAL... and Specter is pro-choice.  Specter's spokesmen is playing coy about the cloture motion.

Second Prediction:  If Steele casts the critical key vote AGAINST Johnsen, Sestak will be guaranteed to run against him.  If Specter can't side with the Democrats on procedural motions that nobody cares about except the leadership, he's worse than useless.  The fact that he's playing coy at all is good news for Sestak.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies