Should private prisons be outlawed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:57:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should private prisons be outlawed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should private prisons be outlawed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should private prisons be outlawed?  (Read 9959 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »

No, for non-violent criminals we can just cut off their hands.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »

Isn't it fun when someone posts something that is obviously outside the boundaries of "normal" and adds NOTHING to back up their outlandish claims?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Yes, but so should public ones.

The only penalty for a crime should be restitution--or death, in case of murder, because restitution is just impossible there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »

How much does a rape cost in your system?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »

Maybe I am mistaken, but wouldn't it be cheaper for the government to just make sure that they treat their prisoners in a respectable fashion than it would be to actually run your own prisons?

Almost certainly not.

Oh? I wasn't aware that regulation was typically more expensive than operation, it seems.
You still have to pay for the prisons' operation, you know.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »

Maybe I am mistaken, but wouldn't it be cheaper for the government to just make sure that they treat their prisoners in a respectable fashion than it would be to actually run your own prisons?

Almost certainly not.

Oh? I wasn't aware that regulation was typically more expensive than operation, it seems.

I'm sure that the magic of teh market will find some way of dealing with that "reality based" problem.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

I don't believe their ownership is the problem, but their conduct, whoever it is, private or governmental.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »

The only penalty for a crime should be restitution--or death, in case of murder, because restitution is just impossible there.

For arson, would you burn the perp's house down?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »

No, they'd have to pay for the destroyed property, and a whole lot more in punitive damages due to the affective value of the things lost (I'm assuming it's a house that would've been burned now, not a factory or something).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

No, they'd have to pay for the destroyed property, and a whole lot more in punitive damages due to the affective value of the things lost (I'm assuming it's a house that would've been burned now, not a factory or something).

And if they have no money and no job, what then? And since we wouldn't be incarcerating them in any fashion, what if they decide to do it again and again?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

And if they have no money and no job, what then? And since we wouldn't be incarcerating them in any fashion, what if they decide to do it again and again?

Then they should become indentured servants to the victims for enough time to pay restitution.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2009, 03:21:49 PM by Senator PiT »

Almost certainly not.

I'm sure that the magic of teh market will find some way of dealing with that "reality based" problem.

I actually realized that only private prisons aren't that feasible (since as you pointed out, they need some means of turning a profit). But I couldn't figure out a good way to jump back into the flow & forgot about it until now.

Also, I'm a propertarian, not an anarcho-capitalist. Get it straight. Tongue Not to suggest that they're mutually exclusive, though I choose to emphasize the former.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »

Then they should become indentured servants to the victims for enough time to pay restitution.

And how exactly are you going to enforce that? There would be nothing stopping them from leaving.

And you forgot to answer the second question - what's to stop them from repeat offending?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »

No they should be encouraged.  Outsourcing of former big government jobs is one answer to our problems. 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 04:40:36 PM »

And how exactly are you going to enforce that? There would be nothing stopping them from leaving.

And you forgot to answer the second question - what's to stop them from repeat offending?

What's to stop someone who's left prison from re-offending.

Anyway, the enforcement of the indentured servitude would be up to the victim, backed by the courts of course.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »

Aside from the usual things outside of prison, nothing. But they can't re-offend while still in prison, unlike your proposed system. Your system allows them to run loose with little fear of real punishment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You clearly haven't thought this through. Do you expect the victim to hold the criminal at gunpoint 24/7 without ever sleeping? And what if the criminal is physically superior to the victims - you don't see a strong criminal harming his victims again?

Let me make this a little more personal for you - suppose someone decided to burn down your house, smash up your car with a sledgehammer, and stalk your female family members. They have no money to pay you restitution, so the courts make him your indentured servant. Can you seriously say you would want that nutjob to be anywhere near you or your family?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 04:51:25 AM »

Aside from the usual things outside of prison, nothing. But they can't re-offend while still in prison, unlike your proposed system. Your system allows them to run loose with little fear of real punishment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You clearly haven't thought this through. Do you expect the victim to hold the criminal at gunpoint 24/7 without ever sleeping? And what if the criminal is physically superior to the victims - you don't see a strong criminal harming his victims again?

Let me make this a little more personal for you - suppose someone decided to burn down your house, smash up your car with a sledgehammer, and stalk your female family members. They have no money to pay you restitution, so the courts make him your indentured servant. Can you seriously say you would want that nutjob to be anywhere near you or your family?

When you think of indentured servitude, you're thinking of the antebellum South. There is no reason things have to be like that in modern times. Many crime-victims could just pool their criminal servants together, hire some guards, and put them to work in some labor intensive industry, like stone-cutting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:20 AM »

Victims have to hire people?  That doesn't seem fair.

I ask again, how much does rape cost?  Mike Tyson wants to know.  Is it over $100k?  Does it matter how much money the rapist has?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:53 AM »

No, as long as they're following the laws/regulations of normal prisons.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »

When you think of indentured servitude, you're thinking of the antebellum South. There is no reason things have to be like that in modern times. Many crime-victims could just pool their criminal servants together, hire some guards, and put them to work in some labor intensive industry, like stone-cutting.

So let's get this straight, you want to get hire out guards privately and have them watch over the criminals to prevent their escape and ensure they work. How is that not a private prison?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »

Of course they should be outlawed, and imprisonment should be used only in the most sparing of ways by the State.  Even in cases where it is necessary, great care should be taken to ensure that the imprisoned is not harmed any more than is unavoidable.  By this I mean that per-prison expenditures should be many multiples of what they are now in order to ensure pleasant facilities, safety, and adequate staffing.  Accountability and oversight should be much higher as well, with prisoners having a hand in the running of the prison.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »

with prisoners having a hand in the running of the prison.

They do already, a lot of the term. Er... some prisoners anyway. A certain sort of prisoner.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »

The very idea of private prisons is a bad idea.

When you start profiting off of prisoners, you will always want more... and as your company grows and your lobbying power grows, you will start seeing a push to find more and more prisoners.

Eventually, the company will start charging more to run the prisons than it would to actually just run them publicly.

If you are being charged and penalized by the people, then you should be imprisoned by the people as well.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKTRE51C0EP20090213

U.S. judges admit to jailing children for money

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Two judges pleaded guilty on Thursday to accepting more than $2.6 million from a private youth detention centre in Pennsylvania in return for giving hundreds of youths and teenagers long sentences.

Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of the Court of Common Pleas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, entered plea agreements in federal court in Scranton admitting that they took payoffs from PA Childcare and a sister company, Western PA Childcare, between 2003 and 2006.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKTRE51C0EP20090213

U.S. judges admit to jailing children for money

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Two judges pleaded guilty on Thursday to accepting more than $2.6 million from a private youth detention centre in Pennsylvania in return for giving hundreds of youths and teenagers long sentences.

Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of the Court of Common Pleas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, entered plea agreements in federal court in Scranton admitting that they took payoffs from PA Childcare and a sister company, Western PA Childcare, between 2003 and 2006.

Whoa. This should get a thread of its own. (And those Judges should be forced into 10 years hard labour - 20 years for the youth detention centre staff).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies