Should General William T Sherman be put on any money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should General William T Sherman be put on any money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should General William T Sherman be put on any money?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Should General William T Sherman be put on any money?  (Read 2105 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »

Absolutely, considering he was one of the greatest Freedom Fighters who ever lived. I'd favor him replacing that murderous thug Andrew Jackson.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »

Absolutely, considering he was one of the greatest Freedom Fighters who ever lived. I'd favor him replacing that murderous thug Andrew Jackson.

You probably wouldn't think he was so great if you were one of the recently freed slaves he ordered to be left behind at the Oceonee and Ogeechee River crossings.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »

You probably wouldn't think he was so great if you were one of the recently freed slaves he ordered to be left behind at the Oceonee and Ogeechee River crossings.

He did not give that order. It was a Corps commander with the unfortunate name of Jefferson Davis who views toward slaves weren't that different from the other Jefferson Davis. Sherman, being the Patton of his day, didn't do or say anything about it. That was part of the March to the Sea and by that time supplies were running low since he had no supply lines
and if they didn't get to Savannah soon they would starve to death. This put pressure on his subordinates to speed up the lines which were being encumbered by the freed slaves. Was Davis right of? Of course not. Why does Sherman get the blame because the history has already been distorted so much to make him look like a villain that its easy to distort one more thing about it.

As for Sherman on the currency that would not be a problem for me. How Jackson got on money in the first place is a wonder to me considering he despised paper money, central banks like the fed that ordered its printing, and commerce in general.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »

ha.  my great-great grandfather was named after andrew jackson (as were many southerners of that era)

as for sherman, he was an interesting fellow, to say the least.  probably these days hed be referred to as 'bi-polar'.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »

He did not give that order. It was a Corps commander with the unfortunate name of Jefferson Davis who views toward slaves weren't that different from the other Jefferson Davis. Sherman, being the Patton of his day, didn't do or say anything about it. That was part of the March to the Sea and by that time supplies were running low since he had no supply lines
and if they didn't get to Savannah soon they would starve to death. This put pressure on his subordinates to speed up the lines which were being encumbered by the freed slaves. Was Davis right of? Of course not. Why does Sherman get the blame because the history has already been distorted so much to make him look like a villain that its easy to distort one more thing about it.

As for Sherman on the currency that would not be a problem for me. How Jackson got on money in the first place is a wonder to me considering he despised paper money, central banks like the fed that ordered its printing, and commerce in general.

My point is that BRTD once again fails to see that there are two sides to this coin.  I have no problem with Sherman, but BRTD loves Sherman for punishing the "slave holders".  Sherman, of course, had no problem with slavery and wanted to actively discourage the slaves from leaving the plantations.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »

They should make his face be the official symbol of the Louisiana State University.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »

Of course not.  Andrew Jackson > William T Sherman.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:04:44 AM »

My great grandfather marched to the sea with Sherman, so I'm biased.  He acquired two bullets lodged into his body by unfriendly fire, which he carried to his grave in 1933.  Both he, and of course as a subsidiary matter I, were very lucky indeed.

Out with the execrable Jackson, that most overrated quasi-genocidist, and in with Sherman. 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »

Yes, and New Orleans needs to have a larger-than-life statue of Benjamin Butler, the best mayor that city has ever seen. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

My great grandfather marched to the sea with Sherman, so I'm biased.  He acquired two bullets lodged into his body by unfriendly fire, which he carried to his grave in 1933.  Both he, and of course as a subsidiary matter I, were very lucky indeed.

Out with the execrable Jackson, that most overrated quasi-genocidist, and in with Sherman. 

I agree wholeheartedly on Jackson.  While not a Sherman fan, I have to say I do embrace his vision for warfare.  It should be rare...and total.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »

Considering that he is one of only two people in America's history to understand the proper execution of war & of peace (the other being Theodore Roosevelt), I don't see why not.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »

No.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:37:35 AM »

Only if we want money to burn. Grin
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »

"If chosen, I will not pose. If printed, I will not spend."
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 01:03:50 AM »

I'd support him to be put on a dollar coin, anything else, no.... Although he was a great general.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 01:04:33 AM »

I like Sherman a lot, and he's by far my favorite American general, but I don't think we should be putting military leaders on our money.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »

I like Sherman a lot, and he's by far my favorite American general, but I don't think we should be putting military leaders on our money.
Why not? I don't see a problem with putting Military leaders on money. Hell, the only reason I can stand Grant on the fifty is that he was an excellent general. His pesidency, even though he was honest personally, was very corrupt, and if he was not amilitary leader I would not support it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies