Tom Schieffer (D-TX) Considering (Update: And Kinky?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:33:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tom Schieffer (D-TX) Considering (Update: And Kinky?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Schieffer (D-TX) Considering (Update: And Kinky?)  (Read 1744 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:46:52 PM »
« edited: February 10, 2009, 09:43:23 PM by Lunar »

I mean, it makes sense for the Democrats to run someone at least semi-credible just in case Perry wins a very blood primary
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1194077.html

Having wrapped up his career as an ambassador under President Bush, Fort Worth’s Tom Schieffer is back home and pondering a run for governor – as a Democrat.

"I’ve thought about it for a while," Schieffer told the Star-Telegram. "I have not made a decision."

Although Schieffer served in a Republican administration under Bush – with whom he worked as general manager of the Texas Rangers – he says there should be no confusion about his political affiliation. "I am a Democrat," said Schieffer, who voted for Barack Obama in the primary and general elections.

Schieffer, 61, who was ambassador to Japan for four years, until Jan. 20, and before that, ambassador to Australia for four years, says he is thinking that he has something to offer in the seemingly already crowded gubernatorial race.

"I’m not sure the level of debate in the state is where it ought to be," he said.

As for the sniping in the GOP nomination race between Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Schieffer said, "I think it’s about to go down a petty, mean and nasty road."

Democratic activist Matt Angle, director of the Lone Star Project, said, "I think it’s very interesting that Tom Schieffer comes back after eight years abroad and immediately recognizes what a mess the Republicans have made of Texas."

The last time Schieffer – brother of CBS newsman Bob Schieffer – ran for elective office was in 1978, when the three-term Texas House member lost re-election in a redrawn district.

Update:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D96908E80.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »

Semi-credible & Democrats do not belong in the same sentence in reference to statewide politics in Texas.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »

Semi-credible & Democrats do not belong in the same sentence in reference to statewide politics in Texas.

Obvious it was relative
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:52 PM »

Obvious it was relative

Still, being the most credible Democrat to think about running statewide in Texas is like being the world's fastest tortoise. Suffice it to say, it just doesn't seem that impressive.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »

Obvious it was relative

Still, being the most credible Democrat to think about running statewide in Texas is like being the world's fastest tortoise. Suffice it to say, it just doesn't seem that impressive.

It depends on whether KBH can mow down Perry or not.

I'm not really following this race, but I imagine if that KBH shows more weakness early on than she has thus far, that perhaps a stronger Dem (White, Sharp, someone) could enter.  Perry's war chest is pretty sizable too. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »

updated topic post with new article
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »

I'm not really following this race, but I imagine if that KBH shows more weakness early on than she has thus far, that perhaps a stronger Dem (White, Sharp, someone) could enter.  Perry's war chest is pretty sizable too. 
Candidates, whether seeking a party nomination or running as an independent have to file by Jan 2, 2010.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

Democratic activist Matt Angle, director of the Lone Star Project, said, "I think it’s very interesting that Tom Schieffer comes back after eight years abroad and immediately recognizes what a mess the Republicans have made of Texas."

As much as I dislike Perry, there is something to be said for the fact that Texas still has one of the strongest state economies in the nation right now.  It may just be the lingering effects of the oil bubble, but slowing job growth still beats the living hell out of increasing job losses.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »

Tom Who?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

I said it back in the day and I'll say it once again, Texas needs to get Kinky.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies