The importance of debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:35:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The importance of debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The importance of debate  (Read 554 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »

I was wondering whether to raise the issue or not as President of the Congress because it might be seen as inappropiate given my own major delays in moving legislation, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to at least raise the issue.

I think Congress is honestly suffering from a lack of debate, and it's a not insignificant problem. We've seen a few cases already of, say: legislation that is not debated or criticized yet is voted against in block when voting is open; desire to continue certain debates or certain bills ignored or pushed away; or a lack of engagement in some bills altogether beyond the usual suspects.

The House certainly seems to be in far better shape, but in the Senate this does seem like a pressing problem. I don't want to single out the Senators, but I do see PPT Yankee and Senator Devout Centrist as the ones doing most (if not all) of the debate lately (commendation for civic virtue for them) and I don't think that's the best route forward in a six member body.

Again, I'm very much not the right person to say it, but at least from my constitutional role I do think it's a bit concerning that what are supposed to be deliberative bodies are facing issues with that. We all have RL pressure to deal with, but it's worth thinking about.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »

I am a bit concern over the lack of debate in the Senate; I myself have had issues with participating in the discussion on certain bills. In the future, I'll be more active in the discussion around certain bills. Thank you for pointing this out.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »

I am a bit concern over the lack of debate in the Senate

So concerned you felt it was necessary to vote against debating on bills at all twice?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=323235.msg6863961#msg6863961

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=323232.msg6863962#msg6863962

I myself have had issues with participating in the discussion on certain bills.
Clearly.

In the future, I'll be more active in the discussion around certain bills.
Apparently not.  

As for your obvious lack of commitment to getting work done in the Senate:
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2019, 11:19:54 PM by Devout Centrist »

Perhaps it’s my fault, but the fault of the sponsor who took more than 72 hours to offer up any reply?

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »

I think I’ve begun to offer more discussion in my tenure of being a councilor. I do agree that debate is often lacking in the Atlasian legislatures, of which I can see in all levels.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies