Cross-breezes, сквозняк, tocht, ventilatie, techenie, Es zieht, corrente
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cross-breezes, сквозняк, tocht, ventilatie, techenie, Es zieht, corrente
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cross-breezes, сквозняк, tocht, ventilatie, techenie, Es zieht, corrente  (Read 968 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »

I just read that many many people in Europe (primarily the mainland) believe you will get sick if there is a breeze in the house.  Is this true?  Have they never heard of the Germ Theory of disease?  Please, fight my ignorance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »

Well, many people the world around try to avoid cool, moving air - such as a breeze or a 'draft'.  They don't want to 'catch a chill'.  For example here most people wear a jacket on the motorbike even in the warmer seasons. 

I have to admit that now I have lived abroad (in the tropics) one thing I have noticed is that Americans have a greater tendency to go around inadequately clad compared to almost every other race.  I think it has something to do with the lifestyle of always being either 1) in air-conditioning in a cheap prefabricated clabberboard dwelling or workplace, or 2) being in air-conditioning in one's automobile.  Unlike other nationalities americans are rarely exposed to the open air.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »

So, the crazy Euros and Asians don't understand Germ Theory, but it's Americans that are weird because we dress appropriately for the weather....errr, don't dress the way you think we should dress?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »

So, the crazy Euros and Asians don't understand Germ Theory, but it's Americans that are weird because we dress appropriately for the weather....errr, don't dress the way you think we should dress?
They understand Germ Theory. They believe that overcooling leads to a weakened immune system, which would make them more susceptible to infection, a view that I'm certain most Americans also share.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »

Then why are you afraid of drafts and "most Americans" that fear "overcooling" are not.  And is there a cite about this "overcooling"=getting sick thing.  Science has told me since I was old enough to understand that germs make me sick, not standing out in the rain like a jackass.

Anecdotal evidence time, I "underdress" all winter long.  I'm the asshole that wears shorts in the snow.  I sleep with every fan I can get my hands on, all on high.  I often stand out in the rain like a jackass.  I never (well, rarely) get sick.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »

Anecdotal evidence time, I "underdress" all winter long.  I'm the asshole that wears shorts in the snow.  I sleep with every fan I can get my hands on, all on high.  I often stand out in the rain like a jackass. 

Why do you do these things, deadman?  Are you an overheated and sweaty type, or just need to affirm your masculinity?

I've always been a cold natured sort myself.. on the other hand it it is truly hot I can't bear that either.. I set the A/C on 82 and always turn it off before I take a shower...

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

Then why are you afraid of drafts and "most Americans" that fear "overcooling" are not.  And is there a cite about this "overcooling"=getting sick thing.  Science has told me since I was old enough to understand that germs make me sick, not standing out in the rain like a jackass.

Anecdotal evidence time, I "underdress" all winter long.  I'm the asshole that wears shorts in the snow.  I sleep with every fan I can get my hands on, all on high.  I often stand out in the rain like a jackass.  I never (well, rarely) get sick.
I don't believe this personally and it's not true scientifically, but the view is extremely widespread. I believe that most Americans do think that getting an infection is made easier by being overcooled (if not because of drafts), though I could be wrong. I don't know the reasons for the cultural differences regarding drafts. Perhaps it's the greater reliance of airconditioning or perhaps Americans don't open their windows as much in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies