Super bills
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Super bills
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Super bills  (Read 235 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »

I fully understand the convenience and tendency for Congress to write and pass massive bills for a variety of reasons, whether it be the PATRIOT act, defence spending, immigration reform, bailouts or stimulus packages. At face value it seems to tackle a large scope of problems all at once, perhaps making representatives look more responsible or that they are able to face big issues in a decisive manner. It's convenient because only one bill needs to be passed for a whole slew of things, and one would also gather that because of the massive nature, individual programs, spending, etc can be altered without the bill itself falling to the wayside.

But there are plenty of big problems that need to be addressed. Because of the guaranteed length of this legislation, oversight is a painstaking process. It becomes easier for representatives to hide away pork or provisions that will never be debated of their own merits and that taxpayers will never hear about. Even the legit proposals, the major pillars that the bill addresses, are clumped together in such a way that it's hard to properly debate them.

Does this trend bother anyone else? Or is it even a trend - I'm no historical expert on Congress obviously, this sort of thing may have been happening for decades.

I just wish bills like the stimulus package could be deconstructed into their essential parts and debated on their own merits instead of all or nothing. The potential for BS is never wasted by our representatives. The way things are run now is dishonest and makes transparency even more difficult.

Anyway, that's my serious post for the month.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies