Opinion of Robert E. Lee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:39:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Robert E. Lee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Opinion of Robert E. Lee
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of Robert E. Lee  (Read 10833 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »

I should cite this poll everytime someone accuses this of being a liberally-slanted form.

Or perhaps that they recognize Lee as one of the most civilized human beings this country has produced.

No, more like a traitor fighting for a wretched regime. Disgusting human trash just like every single person who fought for that abomination that is the Confederacy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »

And the worst part is, unlike some of the German World War II generals who were otherwise decent people (I'm thinking of Rommel and the like), Lee was given a clear and easy choice, and he chose to fight for that repugnant regime. No one forced him to, and he was even offered to fight for the Union, but he refused!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

So once again then, what were the people in the South who engaged in guerilla warfare against the Confederacy? Were they traitors?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »

So once again then, what were the people in the South who engaged in guerilla warfare against the Confederacy? Were they traitors?

To the South, Yes, since they attacked their country/region. I support there guerilla actions, however. Lee would have been a traitor to the south, (See Winfield Scott, a favorite General of Mine) had he sided with the north. The Confederacy may have been born in sin, but treason still applies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »

It's better to be a traitor to traitors (the South being a treacherous region) than your country. Also better to be a traitor to evil than follow evil. Was von Stauffenberg a traitor? Probably, but that doesn't mean I disapprove of his actions.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »

anti-slavery secessionist general = freedom fighter.

All of the secessionists were fighting for slavery, SPC, whether or not they liked to admit it. Robert E. Lee, unlike many of the poor, ignorant conscripts he sent to their deaths, actually chose to fight for it though.

Don't act like the Union didn't have the draft, and at least in the political sense, it was the South fighting against political enslavement.

I don't pretend to not support conscription. When a country is threatened, then they should be able to draft their citizens to defend the country. And I don't buy this "political enslavement" garbage; politically enslaved to do what? Treat people as human-beings rather than property? And if you want to talk about political enslavement, the South did their part in pushing their pro-slavery policies on the north, through the Fugitive Slave Act, and things like the Crittenden and Corwin amendments.

What is the point of defending one's country if one already lives under a tyranny, one where the state can send you to die? They are politically enslaved to the United States government, thanks to the Union victory. I don't deny that the South pushed pro-slavery policies on the North (BTW, Lincoln was the one who sponsored the Corwin Amendment). However, apparently unbeknownst to you, by seceding, the South made it so the North wouldn't have to put up with political enslavement. Thus, an independent South meant that the Fugutive Slave Act wouldn't be enforced, and that the North wouldn't have to put up with the South's slavery anymore. Also, it is funny that you support the draft and at the same time object to the idea that humans are property, since apparently when someone can send you to a battlefield at your life's risk far away from your home, you can still own yourself. Good luck explaining that one.

You and I have different definitions of tyranny, obviously. Conscription is never a good thing, and obviously not a goal of a democratic government, but sometimes some freedoms must be temporarily taken away to preserve the state, so that it can continue to protect freedom and natural rights after the conflict is over.

So, you wouldn't consider it tyranny if I had the power to take you away from your job, family, and friends and send you to do the work of my choice that happens to have a high mortality rate? Also, LOL at the state protecting freedom and natural rights.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »

Are country has seen few greater freedom fighters.  From his destruction of the traitorous terrorist John Brown to his stand against Northern aggression, Robert E. Lee is a true American hero.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »

Very much a Horrible Person.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »

I kindly Abstain.

He was a bastard for betraying America, but a man with convictions for sticking with Virginia, which he dearly loved.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2010, 10:29:19 PM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

One man's traitor is another's patriot.  It is nationalistic and ignorant to call Lee a traitor.  States have (or rather, had) the right to secede, and he was defending the right of his state, as well as others, to do so.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »

Not an FF, but a man I admire greatly and who yes, made the right decision. The Civil War was going to take place whether he liked it or not, to fight against the citizens of his home state would have been monstrous.

Slavery was a moral crime, but don't for a minute act like it played into the mind of Lee(or Jackson, or most of the generals for that matter) or the leaders in the North who weren't hardcore abolitionists. The blame rests on the political establishment in the South for slavery, and the blame for the war rests on the shoulders of both sides.

This "traitor" nonsense that the Dems in this thread have been spouting off is retarded. It was often said in the North that they would consider seceding themselves if Breckenridge won. Would the Northerners have been traitors then in your minds?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »

One man's traitor is another's patriot.  It is nationalistic and ignorant to call Lee a traitor.  States have (or rather, had) the right to secede, and he was defending the right of his state, as well as others, to do so.

He was defending slavery.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »

One man's traitor is another's patriot.  It is nationalistic and ignorant to call Lee a traitor.  States have (or rather, had) the right to secede, and he was defending the right of his state, as well as others, to do so.

That's like saying everyone in the current U.S. military is fighting for the interests of multinational corporations. It's true, and in a sense we enslave the world, but that doesn't really play into the minds of most enlisted guys and officers. They think they're protecting America and that they're necessary to do so; both are wrong, but whatever.

Slavery played no part in Lee's decision to fight for the South, period.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »

HP
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

One man's traitor is another's patriot.  It is nationalistic and ignorant to call Lee a traitor.  States have (or rather, had) the right to secede, and he was defending the right of his state, as well as others, to do so.

That's like saying everyone in the current U.S. military is fighting for the interests of multinational corporations. It's true, and in a sense we enslave the world, but that doesn't really play into the minds of most enlisted guys and officers. They think they're protecting America and that they're necessary to do so; both are wrong, but whatever.

I'd accept that if we were talking about some enlisted man, but we're not. Regardless of whether or not slavery played a role in his decision, it should have. He was fighting for its preservation.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »

I'd accept that if we were talking about some enlisted man, but we're not. Regardless of whether or not slavery played a role in his decision, it should have. He was fighting for its preservation.

And most people in the North were not fighting for it's abolition.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

And most people in the North were not fighting for it's abolition.

So? The victory of the United States of America resulted in the end of slavery.
roby
Roby95
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:06 PM »

It doesn't matter what he was thinking, the point is that he fought for the side that supported slavery of other human beings, and that makes him an awful person.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

It doesn't matter what he was thinking, the point is that he fought for the side that supported slavery of other human beings, and that makes him an awful person.

Right, and the Union states of West Virginia, Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware, and Maryland so totally didn't allow slavery at all!
I don't have a fond memory of the Confederation or what it stood for, but to act like only they were guilty of supporting slavery is being ignorant of history.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »

Right, and the Union states of West Virginia, Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware, and Maryland so totally didn't allow slavery at all!
I don't have a fond memory of the Confederation or what it stood for, but to act like only they were guilty of supporting slavery is being ignorant of history.

Slavery was abolished in those states at the Union victory. Slavery would not have been abolished in case of a Confederate victory.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »

Slavery was abolished in those states at the Union victory. Slavery would not have been abolished in case of a Confederate victory.

Just what do you think of as a "Confederate victory"?  At the most, the South would have won it's independence.  They had no intention of conquering the North, nor did they have the capability of doing so.  A Confederate "victory" would have resulted in two different countries.  And in the North, slavery would be abolished, easily, by Constitutional amendment.
roby
Roby95
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2010, 03:29:08 PM »

Ok, so the Northern victory over the backwards South totally didn't bring an end to slavery, got it. Thanks for clearing that up.
WillK

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »

States never had the right to secede.  The ignorance is yours. 
Lee was a traitor by the straight forward meaning if that word.
WillK

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »

Not an FF, but a man I admire greatly and who yes, made the right decision. The Civil War was going to take place whether he liked it or not, to fight against the citizens of his home state would have been monstrous.

Slavery was a moral crime, but don't for a minute act like it played into the mind of Lee
On the contrary, it clearly did play into the mind of Lee.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »

Ok, so the Northern victory over the backwards South totally didn't bring an end to slavery, got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Look at the underlined part of the quote.
I was addressing your point about how Robert E Lee was a horrible person for fighting for the side that supported slavery. Well, during the war both sides supported slavery of other human beings, so no matter what he would've been fighting for a side that supported slavery.
I'm not discussing the end result, I am discussing what was going on when he made the choice of what side he would fight on, and that both sides supported this great evil.  Politically correct history will say that the North was all good and lovey dovey and fought the Civil War because they gave a damn about the black man, real history shows that the North allowed slavery within their own states and didn't adopt the mission of abolition until it could give them an advantage in the war.
It is entirely unfair to judge Robert E. Lee on that basis when no matter what he did at that point in time, he would've been supporting slavery.  Nobody in 1861 saw the war at that time as "Slavery vs. Abolition" they saw it as "North vs. South", because that is exactly what it was.
And knowing the bigotry that was rampant in Northern cities against immigrants, LOL at you thinking that only the South was backwards in cultural attitudes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies