Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:27:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions  (Read 6096 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2004, 09:35:32 PM »

"Meanwhile, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards (search) has come out against both gay marriage and same sex unions."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112534,00.html

---

Looks like he can see the handwriting on the wall
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:51:25 PM »

"Meanwhile, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards (search) has come out against both gay marriage and same sex unions."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112534,00.html

---

Looks like he can see the handwriting on the wall

I'd like to see a quote. They may mean how Edwards would vote in a booth on civil unions, but I'm not even willing to say that that's the case, even. He said this week in Georgia, "I don't personally support gay marriage myself. My position has always been that it's for the states to decide." If he has that view on gay marriage, he probably has the same view on civil unions-- that a state can choose to have civil unions if they want.  That's not anti-civil unions, really, anymore than Kerry, who is personally pro-life, is politically pro-life.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 02:46:29 AM »

Agreed:  Federalism is probably the best solution.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 02:57:36 AM »

That's not anti-civil unions, really, anymore than Kerry, who is personally pro-life, is politically pro-life.

Well, if you're personally pro-life, doesn't that mean you believe abortion is the taking of a human life.  Otherwise, if a life wasn't involved, why would abortion bother anyone?

And if you personally believe someone is being murdered during an abortion, how on earth can you then turn around and be politically pro-life?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 03:03:00 AM »

sorry NHpolitico, I guess I was just noticing the signature.
NHPolitico

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 06:54:37 AM »

That's not anti-civil unions, really, anymore than Kerry, who is personally pro-life, is politically pro-life.

Well, if you're personally pro-life, doesn't that mean you believe abortion is the taking of a human life.  Otherwise, if a life wasn't involved, why would abortion bother anyone?

And if you personally believe someone is being murdered during an abortion, how on earth can you then turn around and be politically pro-life?

Ask John Kerry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 08:05:59 AM »

HE's also said that he thinks it should be the states' choice on marraige rights.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »

I gotta say, I like Edwards.

If I was a Democrat, and wanted to beat the incumbent Republican president, he's who I'd be pushing to nominate -- not that John Kerry filth who'll pull another 1988 Dukakis for the Dems.  Kerry is more liberal than Ted Kennedy and couldn't win a national election.  Edwards, on the other hand, is more moderate; he could win.

Edwards has a great personality, and aside from his pro-abortion stance, I think he's got the potential to actually be a *good* Democrat president, in the way Kennedy and Johnson were good men.  If he were to become president (unlikely, seeing as how Kerry is sweeping the primaries), he'd be a HUGE improvement over the Dems most recent failures--Clinton and Carter, both of whom had terrible presidenices (one is often in the top ten list of worst presidents, while the other has the "honor" of being only the second president to be impeached, as well as joining Nixon as one of the most hated presidents in US history--not to mention both Nixon and Clinton were liars and crooks).

That said, I wouldn't vote for Edwards in a race against Bush (I like Edwards, but I love Bush) and probably wouldn't vote for him in 2008, depending on who the Republican was.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 11:43:09 AM »

Edwards being against Gay Marriage and Civil Unions wouldn't be that suprising... remember he was raised a Southern Baptist.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 11:54:43 AM »

Edwards being against Gay Marriage and Civil Unions wouldn't be that suprising... remember he was raised a Southern Baptist.

True, but his Southern Baptist roots certainly don't show on a lot of issues.  The fact that gay marriage might be one exception means little.  A true Southern Baptist would 95% of the time be dead-set (no pun intended) against abortion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 11:57:10 AM »

Well he is a Methodist now Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 12:13:57 PM »

He is?  Awesome!  Another reason to like him Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 12:23:09 PM »

A real one as well (unlike the nominally methodist Dubya, who is of course a born-again-fundamentalist).

Edwards is actually very religious, although strangely for the U.S he's never made a big deal of it in election campaigns.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 12:23:13 PM »

I gotta say, I like Edwards.

If I was a Democrat, and wanted to beat the incumbent Republican president, he's who I'd be pushing to nominate -- not that John Kerry filth who'll pull another 1988 Dukakis for the Dems.  Kerry is more liberal than Ted Kennedy and couldn't win a national election.  Edwards, on the other hand, is more moderate; he could win.

Edwards has a great personality, and aside from his pro-abortion stance, I think he's got the potential to actually be a *good* Democrat president, in the way Kennedy and Johnson were good men.  If he were to become president (unlikely, seeing as how Kerry is sweeping the primaries), he'd be a HUGE improvement over the Dems most recent failures--Clinton and Carter, both of whom had terrible presidenices (one is often in the top ten list of worst presidents, while the other has the "honor" of being only the second president to be impeached, as well as joining Nixon as one of the most hated presidents in US history--not to mention both Nixon and Clinton were liars and crooks).

That said, I wouldn't vote for Edwards in a race against Bush (I like Edwards, but I love Bush) and probably wouldn't vote for him in 2008, depending on who the Republican was.

Edwards is apparently a 'populist' - the worst of both worlds.  Basically the guy is a protectionist left-winger hiding behind a Southern accent.  He's also pretty dim-witted - kind of a Clinton without the brains.  Btw, Johnson was not a 'good man'.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »

Opebo, is there a single democrat that you DO like?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 12:50:10 PM »

Opebo, is there a single democrat that you DO like?

Zell Miller!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »

He said Democrat... not "Democrat"...
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 02:16:22 PM »

Opedo,

I love Zell Miller too!  Now there's a Democrat I would vote for for president!  I'm so proud of him being from my state.  And he has a fued going on with Jimmy Carter, so big plus there!!

As far as Edwards' stance on the issues... I never said I would vote for him.  In fact, I can't think of any situation where I *would* vote for him over a Republican.  But you have to admit he seems like a respectable guy who is fairly moderate on a lot of issues.  I don't like that he's pro-abortion.  I don't like that he pulled a John Kerry flip flop by voting for the war in Iraq and then voting against the money to fund it.  I would not vote for the guy, simple as that.

But.  I wouldn't be totally upset if he became president.  I'd sure take him over Kerry, Dean, Clark, or any of the other losers running in this primary election.  He is the best Democrat to have been running throughout this entire race, and that's saying a lot.

Personally, if I was a Democrat, I'd be very embarrassed about the guys and girl my party had up for the nomination this time around.  I'd wanna shake my head in agony and scoop Terry McAwful's eyes out with a spoon for leading my party to hell.  But thankfully, I'm not a Democrat so I don't have to worry about it.

On Johnson......The man had a lot of great ideas.  Had it not been for his terrible handling of the Vietnam war, he would've been one of our best presidents.  The civil rights movement would not have gone through like it did had he not been in office.  It's my opinion that Johnson was our last "good" Democrat in office.  Other "good" Democratic presidents (all in my opinion, o'course)...Kennedy, FDR, Wilson, Polk.  These were all good men, good presidents.  And, yes, they were all Democrats.  Believe it or not, there are a few good Democrats out there, in the past and present.  Key word: "few."
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 02:48:30 PM »

A real one as well (unlike the nominally methodist Dubya, who is of course a born-again-fundamentalist).

Edwards is actually very religious, although strangely for the U.S he's never made a big deal of it in election campaigns.

Cause religon doesn't belong in politics or government.  
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

If Edwards won the 2008 nomination and faced Giuliani, Edwards would have a real shot at sweeping the south.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »

I think if he were to be Kerry's VP he might go on about being the religious, moralistic type... against the sleazy, ammoral Dick Cheney in a debate...
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 04:00:57 PM »

I think if he were to be Kerry's VP he might go on about being the religious, moralistic type... against the sleazy, ammoral Dick Cheney in a debate...

That's if Bush keeps Cheney.  You're right...in a debate between Edwards and Cheney, Cheney loses.  But if it's Edwards against, say, Giuliani in a VP debate?  Giuliani wins, hands down.  Bill Frist or Bill Owens?  Then there's a real competition....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 04:03:58 PM »

An open letter to Dubya:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase keep Cheney as your VP/part time puppetmaster!
His presence on the GOP ticket nets the Dems 100,00's of votes!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

An open letter to Dubya:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase keep Cheney as your VP/part time puppetmaster!
His presence on the GOP ticket nets the Dems 100,00's of votes!

It does?  Cheney neither helps nor hurts Bush.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 04:08:51 PM »

That was just a bit of hyperbole to make a point Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies