Knowing your Secretary of State. No, not that one.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:05:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Knowing your Secretary of State. No, not that one.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this a horrible argument for why the office of Secretary of State on the state level is well recognized?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Knowing your Secretary of State. No, not that one.  (Read 1193 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »

As for your second point, a big LOL at you, fool. You name two infamous Secretaries of State. Now how many others can you name?

How about Jennifer Brunner, Mark Ritchie, Jesse White and Jan Brewer?
You must have heard them if you follow the news, which I doubt.

Nice try.
Dude.

By the way, I was also called a hack for saying that Secretary of State races aren't exactly high profile because people like Katherine Harris and Ken Blackwell were well known. Does this kid know anything about "exceptions to the rule?"
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 12:31:38 PM by Senator PiT »

Follow the news? I cannot remember one time since election night that Debra Bowen was in the news. I can certainly understand how someone could follow the news & not have a clue who she is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Follow the news? I cannot remember one time since election night that Debra Bowen was in the news. I can certainly understand how someone could watch the news regularly & not have a clue who she is.

I'm a political person and I sometimes forget the name of my Secretary of State! Sure, he's not elected but I should still know who he is if the position is such a big deal.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »

South Carolina's Secretary of State has nothing to with elections (that's the State Elections Commission's job), and we've actually had at times the incumbent holding the office arguing for the elimination of the position as fairly pointless.  However, considering we still elect our Adjutant General, that's not surprising.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »

Depends on the state obviously. Overall though I don't think most people could name their Secretary of State. Many more would probably recognize the name of their Secretary of State though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »

Depends on the state obviously. Overall though I don't think most people could name their Secretary of State. Many more would probably recognize the name of their Secretary of State though.

Indeed. When I first saw this topic, it took me a minute to remember my Secretary of State's name.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:59 AM »

I only know the Chief Electoral Officer federally, Marc Mayrand, because he was on the news last year with the veiled voting thingee.

I have no clue who Elections Ontario's CEO is.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »

I have no clue who the Virginia Secretary of State is.  I'm not even 100% sure we have one.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:11:12 AM »

Our Secretary of State is Nina Wells, who literally nobody in the state has ever heard of. Of course, things are a bit different in NJ since we don't elect every official and her mother. So Nina Wells has never campaigned for the position and never will.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »

Katherine Hanley is Virginia's Secretary of State.  She ran an abortive primary campaign against Jim Moran in 2003, and was appointed Secretary of State in 2005, after the General Assembly rejected Kaine's first choice.  She will serve a fixed, four year term, leaving office one week after the new Governor is sworn in.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »

I've known who Mark Ritchie was ever since he was elected, just because of my hatred of who he beat. And of course he's more recognizable now for obvious reasons.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »

Yes... SoS' are almost never in the news, unless something really, really big happens. We should probably pay more attention to who we elect, as they can have a very important role in both state and federal elections, but for the most part it's a job that nobody, not even politicos, care about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies