Excited for the President's address to Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:48:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Excited for the President's address to Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Are you excited for President Obama's first address to a joint session of Congress?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Excited for the President's address to Congress?  (Read 10636 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

There was plenty of blame to go around to be sure, but people seem to forget that Government is a tool used to accomplish a goal used by the party in power.

The Democrats in Louisiana deserve some of the blame, but Bush seemed generally disinterested in the affair and FEMA (which deserves the most blame) was horrifically mismanaged and ran in the run-up to the landing of the hurricane.

I certainly won't deny that the federal end was a mess but I think we need to hear more about all levels of government that failed during that time.

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.

Well of course admission is the first step to recovery right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.

Jindal made it very, very clear that Republicans fell away from what we believe and it made us susceptible to corruption. I don't see what is wrong with that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:43 PM »

Jindal made it very, very clear that Republicans fell away from what we believe and it made us susceptible to corruption. I don't see what is wrong with that.

So when Republicans fail it's secretly them being infected by a liberal philosophy and why we need to elect not Democrats but even more conservative Republicans?

How does that politically make sense?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3QasF4Bik

One of my favorite clips of the speech. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »

So when Republicans fail it's secretly them being infected by a liberal philosophy and why we need to elect not Democrats but even more conservative Republicans?

Roll Eyes

Or we fell away from our fiscally responsible roots, took part in irresponsible spending sprees and, like I said, became more susceptible to corruption.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »

Roll Eyes

Or we fell away from our fiscally responsible roots, took part in irresponsible spending sprees and, like I said, became more susceptible to corruption.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for the Republicans, like they fell of the wagon, or something?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

I really doubt that his chances for the nomination are sunk because of an address that few people will see or remember.

Wow, Piyush has been really embarassing tonight. Is this how he normally speaks?

I love when Democrats can make fun of someone's name...  Roll Eyes

I remember Tim Kaine's name being mentioned pretty heavily for 2008 until he bombed giving a rebuttal.  2005 or 2006, I can't remember which.

No one talked about Kaine for President in 2008. No one talked about it seriously at least.

Anyway, MSNBC is a huge joke. Chris Matthews basically said that the GOP can't talk about corruption because Scooter Libby was a registered Republican. Really, Chris? That's the best you have?

Not true.  People, at least the ones I know and the pundits I read/watched, were talking about him the same way Jindal's been talked about recently.  Rising star, popular southern Gov, etc.

Uh...

No, they never spoke about Kaine like they speak about Jindal. Sure, Kaine was a rising star but he was never talked about as a Presidential candidate in 2008.

Your right, I must have imagined it.  Thanks for the correction.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'm supposed to feel sorry for the Republicans, like they fell of the wagon, or something?

When did I ever say that?

You are quite possibly the biggest dope I've spoken to on this forum. Ever. You twist everything and change the discussion all the time.

Your right, I must have imagined it.  Thanks for the correction.

Roll Eyes

Yes, you imagined it...or you're simply confusing him with someone else. Kaine was not mentioned as a 2008 Presidential candidate. He was frequently mentioned as a potential running mate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »

Phil, before you lose control of yourself, all I'm saying is that it bothers me that whenever Republicans fail or screw something up, it was the Liberal philosophy that actually caused it. Ronald Reagan? One of the greatest presidents ever. The outrageous debt he racked up? Big spending liberals in congress!

Republicans have said similar things over the last 8 years. (And similarly, we've doubled the debt.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »

Hahaha...

You are the worst troll ever.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I love when you do this patheticly disgusting, "Oh, all I'm saying..."

Dude, you take an argument, twist around into your hack talking points and then when I clarify, you make an even more ridiculous point.

Why would you say that Democrats did poorly? "They let Bush/the GOP/conservatives walk all over them so people hated them, too!"

Except Republicans have actually started to...uh...take the blame. Hmmmm...who just did that tonight? I forget...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »

But why should I give them any sympathy? Why should anyone care that they're sorry for (for the second time in three decades) engaging in horrifically irresponsible fiscal policy?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48:05 PM »

But why should I give them any sympathy? Why should anyone care that they're sorry for (for the second time in three decades) engaging in horrifically irresponsible fiscal policy?

I want to know if you're retarded. That's first off. Yes, I seriously want an answer because...

I don't know why you think that I think the GOP deserves your sympathy. I never said or hinted at that.

You're a worthless, extremist hack. I don't care that you don't buy that the GOP "lost its way" but it obviously means something to swing voters and members of the base that were turned off by fiscal irresponsibility. The Dems basically apologized for supporting the "rush to war" and wow! They won things! Imagine that! You mean people care when parties admit "mistakes?"
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »

Good Lord, I'm talking about the argument in general used by the Party, this isn't personal. Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »

Good Lord, I'm talking about the argument in general used by the Party, this isn't personal. Roll Eyes

I have no idea what that means.

The party isn't asking for your forgiveness. They don't care if you don't care. Really. They don't. Don't worry.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »

OMFG I AM IN TASTE HEAVEN

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/hawaiian/00/rec0001.html
I just made that during this process + some local specialty Pineapple-flavored olive oil from NoCal.  Delish.  That stupid Salmon cost over twenty bucks but he's paying me back via taste buds this very moment.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »

The party isn't asking for your forgiveness. They don't care if you don't care. Really. They don't. Don't worry.

Yes Phil because obviously I was asking the Republican Party about their thoughts towards me specifically. Roll Eyes
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

There's only one thing I noticed during the speech that I really cared about. 

Mainly since the rest of it was like all SOTU's - something that will never really occur.  Especially not with the way the economy is presently going (and will be going).  I did like the Chinese guest appearance in the second half of the speech.

Oh, and also - Jindal was terrible.  Making it even more clear who the Republican nominee is likely to be in 2012.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »

Yes Phil because obviously I was asking the Republican Party about their thoughts towards me specifically. Roll Eyes

Wow! Mind. Boggling. Stupidity.

Then what was this all about?

If this wasn't about the GOP wanting you to give them your sympathy, why would you say, "Why should I give them any sympathy?"

Here's what happened: You lost badly, you have no idea what you were even arguing and now you're arguing in circles.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »

Okay yeah sure, whatever you say Phil. I'm not going to pad my post count with this any longer.
WillK

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »

I see two things wrong with it:

- No reason is given to believe that the future outcome of returning Republicans to power would be any different.  So the message seems to be 'we were weak and screwed up' but vote for us again.

- Some of us are skeptical that Republicans really fell away from a believe system.  Instead it appears that Republican ideology is grounded in a view that government is bad, thus when in power they live that view and govern poorly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

So the message seems to be 'we were weak and screwed up' but vote for us again.

You know the Dems did the same thing.  Tongue

Well, we won't agree here so whatever.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »

- Some of us are skeptical that Republicans really fell away from a believe system.  Instead it appears that Republican ideology is grounded in a view that government is bad, thus when in power they live that view and govern poorly.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  How did they live the view that "government is bad" when they, in fact, expanded government?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »

Oh, and also - Jindal was terrible.  Making it even more clear who the Republican nominee is likely to be in 2012.

And that Republican nominee would "clearly" be who?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2009, 02:58:29 AM »

LOL

People still argue that MSNBC is a legit news source? They are far worse than FOX ever has been. They have the NBC presidential historian on there calling tonight speech "the best ever" and then claims the reason FDR was reelected in 1936 because the GOP failed to agree that we needed the New Deal. Unbelievable. Foxnews doesn't come close to this.
Jacobtm

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2009, 03:07:09 AM »

What the hell was that even for, just for him to say "Hey, I still think we should fix problems"?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies