2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed  (Read 10475 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 25, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »

Good.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »

The Constitution is clear that DC should not have a member of Congress.  This Bill should be struck down.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »

I would support an Amendment, or giving all non-Government buildings back to Maryland.  Until one of those things happens, DC cannot get a Representative.  Ioppose the current Bill, because it violates the Constitution.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »

Is there any chance Obama would veto it?  Presidents were originally only supposed to veto bills that went against the Constitution; might Obama do that?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »

Is there any chance Obama would veto it?  Presidents were originally only supposed to veto bills that went against the Constitution; might Obama do that?

There are few bills Obama is less likely to veto. I'm sure he completely supports it.

I'm hoping the lawyer in him will recognize how unconstitutional this bill is, and that will lead him to veto it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »

There are few bills Obama is less likely to veto. I'm sure he completely supports it.

I'm hoping the lawyer in him will recognize how unconstitutional this bill is, and that will lead him to veto it.

I'd take fair over constitutional any day of the week.  Your argument is so ridiculous.

Following the Constitution?  If Bush had passed a bill that ignored the Constitution the way this bill does, people would be screaming about it.  If they want to give DC a Congressman, then amend the Constitution the traditional way - by passing an Amendment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »

Moreover, the Constitution has been amended to give DC residents electoral votes for President.  It could be amended again to give it representation in the House.  That's the only fair way to do it.  Mere acts of Congress don't trump the Constitution.

Exactly.  I'm all for DC getting Congressman and Senators, but only by amending the Constitution.  The Founders weren't infallible; they knew that some things would need to be changed, so that's why they included a process for doing so.  We cannot ignore the Constitution, just because something isn't fair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies