2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:26:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 EV seat after the DC bill is passed  (Read 10528 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:49 PM »

It solves everything, it's fair, DC residents would also gain representation in the Senate, and I've never heard an argument against it.

Does anybody have one?

1. Neither Maryland nor D.C. want to be in that marriage.
2. D.C. has been an independent political entity for a lot longer than most states. North Dakota and Delaware as independent states doesn't make much sense, but we're stuck with them because of history and they've developed their own regional identities.
3. D.C. would lose self-government by being subordinated to Maryland.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »

I believe that both DC and Puerto Rico should become states, no taxation without representation, right? (I know they donīt pay income tax, but they do pay some federal taxes) They hold a combined 9,000,000 people. Itīs ridiculous.

Puerto Rico has voted on statehood many times and it always loses to the status quo. Also, I think the population is closer to 4,000,000, with D.C. much smaller than that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »

Is there any chance Obama would veto it?  Presidents were originally only supposed to veto bills that went against the Constitution; might Obama do that?

There are few bills Obama is less likely to veto. I'm sure he completely supports it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies