Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:51:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]
Author Topic: Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #2  (Read 56109 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »

I was originally allied with Deadman against England, and then England switched players and the new player, Gustaf, made serious overtures to me....which I thought were wise to accept, since the alternative would obviously be England seeking an alliance against me with someone else, and I had hoped that for a long time I could keep all three of us focused on other corners of the world....

but once it was apparent that England wanted (needed?) to attack France, I had no choice but to choose between the two, and fundamentally...England on its road to 18 supply centers runs into Germany a lot faster than France does and I thought Deadman and I could form a tight-knit strategic alliance where we could plan together....and combined with the ability to take three English supply centers in one turn...and my options were clear, although it felt kind bad to be so brutal...I try to be as loyal as I can until I realistically can't be any more, shrug.

Austria...yeah, I just had to keep expanding and I didn't have anywhere else to go...the invasion felt like it backfired originally, probably because I ignored the obvious move Muon is now pointing out Smiley and because of how quickly all the other players on the board stopped fighting and allied against me haha.

I probably would have lost if I didn't get lucky with taking over the Russian corner of the world..Germany becomes a lot more powerful when it has a corner of the map and can build units at the center.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »

Hooray!  I wasn't last!

Incidentally, I've been making record of my "best guesses" for what the powers were going to do since about 1902 (though in some cases my old saves were overridden by me saving things rather than saving as... things Tongue).  If you're interested in various statistics or maps I'd be happy to provide them.  Besides the good ol' Greece switcheroo, I'm particularly proud of this:

(Well, just the northern Europe part, mind)

I probably should've given Gustaf some advance warning, because at about this time I was seeing that it would be unlikely for anyone but Germany to win if I did not backstab Germany, and soon.  (Incidentally, I guessed it correctly because I saw that Germany's armies basically had nowhere to do but to attack England... should've applied that logic later in the game Tongue)  However, hindsight is 20/20; even if I had told Gustaf, would he have believed me?  I hadn't heard anything from Germany.

Speaking of which, I believe an explanation is deserved for why I didn't do so if I was so smart in the brain.  Here's why (created contemporaneously with... whenever this was...):

That's why I was so worried about your three Fleets, Jas; it wasn't so much that I was scared of them as I understood that were I to backstab Germany it would be essentially impossible for you to assist me in any way.  That means I'd have to move basically all my Armies up to attack Germany, leaving you with plenty of hard-to-resist opportunity to backstab me in turn, which would certainly have led to my collapse.

Instead, I decided to settle for second.

Also, Lewis, I only seized Venice in response to an offer from Lunar for a price for a support into Sevastopol.  He suggested I support him to Venice; sensing that he merely wanted me to cut off my alliance with you, I counteroffered with him supporting me into Venice.  He accepted, and thus I gained a supply center at the cost of gaining another supply center Smiley

*hughughug* Midwestern alliance in the end!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #377 on: September 15, 2009, 07:23:19 AM »

Incidentally, I've been making record of my "best guesses" for what the powers were going to do since about 1902 (though in some cases my old saves were overridden by me saving things rather than saving as... things Tongue).  If you're interested in various statistics or maps I'd be happy to provide them.  Besides the good ol' Greece switcheroo, I'm particularly proud of this:

The Fall 1903 was in interesting move. I was surprised that you didn't use gre to support the F alb->ion. You correctly surmised that support for the attack on bul would be cut, but it seems that you didn't see the possible bounce in ion. You had a big advantage over Turkey had your fleet been there in 1903 rather than 1904.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #378 on: September 15, 2009, 08:00:01 AM »

Personally, I found the Russian-German capital swapping aspect of that turn rather amusing.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #379 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »

The Fall 1903 was in interesting move. I was surprised that you didn't use gre to support the F alb->ion. You correctly surmised that support for the attack on bul would be cut, but it seems that you didn't see the possible bounce in ion. You had a big advantage over Turkey had your fleet been there in 1903 rather than 1904.

Hey, now, I never said I was perfect Wink  I did successfully predict that that Eastern Mediterranean fleet of Lewis's (?) would be dislodged the turn it was... I just didn't quite make the connection that "hey, look, I have a fleet right there that could do a support!"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »

'Twas a fun game.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #381 on: September 16, 2009, 10:59:45 AM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »

I don't think I have a slot in the next game, but I'd like to officially declare myself out for this one, especially since I got to finish a strong Russian actor in the game before and because I have to write a thesis and I procrastinate enough as it is.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies